Thread: Outer Banks curtain blind hunt

Default Outer Banks curtain blind hunt

Does anybody know of a good outfit to go with for a curtain blind hunt? We are looking at going out there January 2020. Would really like to try that way of hunting a couple days for the experience. Thanks in advance

Buddy Hooper our of Hatteras ... you will have to hope someone cancels

It’s one of the best experiences of my life shooting pintails at 20 yds from a curtain blind
    “The price of freedom is eternal vigilance” - Thomas Jefferson

Wade Austin. Ocracoke.

Take the ferry from cedar island -> Ocracoke. Buy a beach access pass and drive your truck on the beach to surf fish for a day or 2 before the hunting days. Same for the afternoons of hunting days. Don’t be in a hurry to get there or get home, it’s a 2hr ferry ride off the island (ocracoke to CI or swan quarter) but worth the trip. Anchorage inn has 2 master suites above the hotel that can sleep a crowd.

I can’t stress this enough: Eat at Eduardo’s taco truck

Quote Originally Posted by wiz18 View Post
    Wade Austin. Ocracoke.

Take the ferry from cedar island -> Ocracoke. Buy a beach access pass and drive your truck on the beach to surf fish for a day or 2 before the hunting days. Same for the afternoons of hunting days. Don’t be in a hurry to get there or get home, it’s a 2hr ferry ride off the island (ocracoke to CI or swan quarter) but worth the trip. Anchorage inn has 2 master suites above the hotel that can sleep a crowd.

I can’t stress this enough: Eat at Eduardo’s taco truck
    thanks, i have a hard time wondering how eating from a taco truck would be a good idea when you are sitting in a confined space in the middle of the sound...but i like to live dangerously

Quote Originally Posted by mudminnow View Post
    thanks, i have a hard time wondering how eating from a taco truck would be a good idea when you are sitting in a confined space in the middle of the sound...but i like to live dangerously

Ain’t no pussys in the hall of fame. It’s some of the better food I’ve had in my life. You’ll have a 5gal bucket in the box with you. It’s there to bail water, but you can guess what else it’s for.

Pro tip: use a waterproof ammo box for a blind bag. Your shit will get soaked in a regular blind bag.

Any other info feel free to shoot me a PM. We did that trip 1-2x per year for a decade. If you have a week to spend and some money burning a hole in your wallet go to ocracoke first for a 2 day hunt, then take the ferry to swan quarter and hunt impoundments near matamskeet (private, not government run bullshit. Will not be cheap) for a few days then boogie home.

Damn I didn't even know that style of hunting exist. How much does a hunt cost, it looks very intereting!
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Ive hung my white butt off a stake blind in that sound multiple times. Its a long way to dry land after eating greasy seafood and she crab soup and beer all night
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Quote Originally Posted by LabLuvR View Post
    Damn I didn't even know that style of hunting exist. How much does a hunt cost, it looks very intereting!
    $250 +\- a day depending on who you go with. I haven’t been in 4 years or so, but that was the going rate last time I went. It’s fun. Not mallards in the timber or mallards from a pit blind fun, but a good time nonetheless. You’re only sitting with one other person, so you miss out on the 4 - 6 dude shit talk most are accustomed too in the duck blind.

Just got back. 2 guns 2 days.
    Water/tides were against us....hunting was tough but we scratched out a few.
    Wind was strong on Saturday.....while one guy was bailing the box, the other guy was watching for birds.

IMG_0316.jpg
    IMG_0321.jpg

Looks like you did ok. Who did you go with ?

nice welltaut, id be tickled if we got those species.

Quote Originally Posted by Shallow Minded View Post
    Looks like you did ok. Who did you go with ?
    A friend of mine that doesn’t guide.

Quote Originally Posted by wiz18 View Post
    $250 +\- a day depending on who you go with. I haven’t been in 4 years or so, but that was the going rate last time I went. It’s fun. Not mallards in the timber or mallards from a pit blind fun, but a good time nonetheless. You’re only sitting with one other person, so you miss out on the 4 - 6 dude shit talk most are accustomed too in the duck blind.
    Biggest part I miss is having a dog pick up your birds......chasing cripples in the sound will wear on your ass.

I'm from Ocracoke and grew up with Wade Austin. He'll put you on the birds and if he doesn't have the room he will point you in the right direction as there are a few guys on the island to hunt with.

Watson Stuart, Bells Island, Currituck NC

Quote Originally Posted by welltaut View Post
    Biggest part I miss is having a dog pick up your birds......chasing cripples in the sound will wear on your ass.
    Is there a platform for the dog to stand on to see out of the box or are they all blind retrieves?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by scoutlover View Post
    Is there a platform for the dog to stand on to see out of the box or are they all blind retrieves?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    No place for the dog in (or out) the box we hunted.

Looks fun. What is the difference between a curtain blind and a sink box? Is that anchored to the bottom?

A curtain blind is a basically a pit blind built into a sandbar. The hunters adjust the height of the curtain to keep the water out. It is a fixed position.

A sink box is not fixed into position. It is a floating blind weighted enough so that the frame is (mostly) underwater.
    Vegetarian: Native American for Piss Poor Hunter

Welltaut, congrats that is a fine mixed bag of Waterfowl.

I have been privileged to kill Brant on both coasts. They decoy well.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.