Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tipping a guide/outfitter

Default Tipping a guide/outfitter

Trying to find out what is customary these days. Getting ready to go on a 3 day snow goose hunt in the coming month and trying to figure out what I need to bring cash wise for tips.

-Do I tip each day or at the end of the trip?

-What percentage or amount is fair? How do you figure on percent if lodging is included in hunt package price?

-If more than one person is guiding, do I tip them both the same percentage/amount, or do I divide the days allowance between the two?
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Lead guide gets tip. At end of last hunt.
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

Default Tipping a guide/outfitter

I go up to 20% of the hunt cost depending on how much work they put in and how enjoyable they are to spend a half or full day with. I don’t know if that’s too much or too little but it seems more than fair in my opinion.
    Last edited by Hosscat; 01-07-2019 at 05:31 PM.

The top would most definitely depend on how successful the hunt goes. No birds....no tip.

Screw that. You can’t control the birds. You can scout all you want set up the biggest, most realistic spread and birds hop fields move out for some reason. If the guides move around pick up decoys each day and set them in a fresh field and put effort into what they do tip better. If they set one spread and you hunt that same field multiple days with little success don’t tip that much. Remember those guides are working 20 hrs a day if they are doing it right. Their attitude also makes a difference.
    I don't belive in miracles, I rely on them.

Lead guide gets the tip after last hunt. I don't use a percentage, I tip based on the effort demonstrated and enjoyment. They bust ass and make it fun I've tipped 50%. They treat me and the hunt like an inconvenience I tip little or none. Take some cash and play it by ear.

Quote Originally Posted by 12341234 View Post
    Screw that. You can’t control the birds. You can scout all you want set up the biggest, most realistic spread and birds hop fields move out for some reason. If the guides move around pick up decoys each day and set them in a fresh field and put effort into what they do tip better. If they set one spread and you hunt that same field multiple days with little success don’t tip that much. Remember those guides are working 20 hrs a day if they are doing it right. Their attitude also makes a difference.
    They know if they have birds around or not. If the hunting looks bleak, they need to contact the clients and give them the option to cancel or reschedule.

Yes, that is true. But, I have also watched a field with 10k birds in it two days in a row then go back the third and have a handful or none come back.
    I don't belive in miracles, I rely on them.

Here's the best tip I ever gave a guide..."wait 'til your clients are limited out before you start shooting..."
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

A good guide will have to work 10x harder if the hunting is slow. It’s easy if the clients are shooting and they don’t have to move around and scout.

I usually give the tip to the lead guide to distribute.

I think I do about 20%.

Overall, I think above average success comes from what a guide does before the season. Is the blind brushed well? was scouting done? ETC. You can't always have a good hunt, but you can tell the guides that work hard and that work starts before you meet.

Why does shit have to be so damn complicated. If I hire you to take me hunting / fishing and you charge me 500.00, why cant it be 500.00 we shake hands and go on our way. Get a hair cut, charge me what you want to be paid. Now days ever damn body wants to be tipped. What happened to, you provide a service for a price. If I don't agree to your price, then you don't provide said service. Did all this tipping bull shit start with the service/restaurant industry paying food staff pennies on the dollar?

Quote Originally Posted by scmoose View Post
    Why does shit have to be so damn complicated. If I hire you to take me hunting / fishing and you charge me 500.00, why cant it be 500.00 we shake hands and go on our way. Get a hair cut, charge me what you want to be paid. Now days ever damn body wants to be tipped. What happened to, you provide a service for a price. If I don't agree to your price, then you don't provide said service. Did all this tipping bull shit start with the service/restaurant industry paying food staff pennies on the dollar?
    Been saying this for years

I couldn’t agree more.

It’s nothing more than a way to milk you for more money.
    Simple business transaction. Product/Service costs X. I pay X and leave with my product or service done.

When you fellas buy shotgun shells at the local hardware, do you slide the checkout clerk a 10 spot for giving you the right load in a timely fashion?
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Regardless of how we feel about tips, it has become the social norm and I don't want to be jerk that doesn't tip fairly provided they do their part.

Just wanted to get a general consensus on etiquette.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

You have to go above and beyond to earn tips imo.

My base tip is 20% of the daily fee, always given to head guide and NOT to the outfitter if there is one (Chap will approve of this message).
    Carolina Counsel

I think 15% is fair and I tip more if they go out of their way. I always tip the guide who is with me in the blind, not the fellow who runs the show. The fellow running the show gets the fees at the end of the hunt and a bottle of his favorite scotch.

And I always tip, no matter what. The effort has always been put forth for me and my crew. We can't make the birds cooperate.
    Last edited by Drylok; 01-08-2019 at 02:45 PM.

A tip shouldn't be expected and I don't if the service is not above average!
    Low country redneck who moved north

What guide are you going with ? We have a group going next month with top gun outfitters but aren’t sure yet what state. The guide said he’d let us know a week before we leave I was curious if this is the normal way they do it. He said we could be in Arkansas all the way to North Dakota that’s a big difference in drive.