Thread: Missouri trip

Default Missouri trip

Left for missouri for my annual trip new years day. I have some good buddies from the marines in the bootheel I hunt with. They warned me beforehand that it was very slow. They were not lying. We never even ventured into the timber with water levels so high where we usually hunt. I was lucky enough to have access to a rice field in a very "usually very productive" area. It ended up also being a bust. We ended up with just a few mallards for the whole trip. We did have a few missed opportunities. I have been lucky enough to watch tons of ducks pile into the timber on past hunts, but the sight of 1500-2000 ducks piling into the field 5 minutes after shooting time was an experience. It was awesome and sickening at the same time. Pintail, mallards,teal,widgeon by the droves. These ducks in that area have things patterned nowadays. It was still good to see friends even though the hunting was poor. A few people we talked to were having a little luck but it was sporadic. The ducks are spread very thin with all the water and 65 degree temps. A few of the public spots are a joke. We used to do really well on a few conservation area places. The state did not even have water in these spots and havent planted them in years. They used to be in corn every year and it's just stopped. And to not even have water is crazy. I cant believe the locals aren't questioning the conservation commission on this. They are waterfowl management areas and are not managed at all. Reguardless I'm being told by alot of the guys I hunt with that the ducks are moving more west in there migration for the past several years. Does anyone know of a good guide service in kansas or oklahoma? I'm trying to put something together for next year. I've googled a few in kansas but can only go by there websites at this point.thanks
    The price is firm.

Once they passed that sales tax to fund their DNR, the money piled up faster than they could spend it. The libs found out about the huge jackpot of cash laying there and they took over Commission's board seats. Game over for public land management in Missouri. Let that be a lesson...

I was there 15 years ago when they passed the penny tax(maybe it was a 1% tax). As you can imagine the non-hunters were pissed but the farmers and outdoorsmen were hopefull. It’s a shame to squander away such a good opportunity. That S.E.MO area could be, and has been dynamite for waterfowling

So with all this talk about the broad river wma, and it being poorly managed, who does a person contact to do something about our areas? It would be nice to be active in this and try to have a voice. There are some wma's in the upstate that are really horrible as everyone knows. Too many people hunting and not enough ducks. How could this be voiced to the state to let the actual hunters come together and decide how they should be regulated and managed instead of the state? We know theres tons of knowledge from hunters on habitat and ethics for the most part. These are our places. My younger brother and his friend find it hard to believe we used to shoot limits of mallards regularly at public ground because of the way things have changed. I went to a meeting several years ago about them opening back up parts of lake Wylie, I know there are a few on here who where there. We mentioned something about a new wma at worth mountain on the broad river and it was shot down immediately by a warden. Money was the first thing that came out of his mouth. Where is all our license and stamp money going? I'm positive there would be volunteers to help out with a project if we felt it would be managed properly and it would not just be and over crowded wood duck shoot with a bunch of idiots. Something that would take a while for the ducks to imprint on and if managed right they can shift migrations.its been proven out west. 20 years ago there was no rice around semo or ne arkansas. all cotton and beans.rice moved north from Stuttgart and more and more ducks showed up.im not saying we would ever have that much but it could be alot better. Just wishful thinking
    The price is firm.

Went to Missouri earlier this year and it sucked where we were at too. We hunted 2 days and hauled ass to find ducks. We ended up killing a good many but we put some miles in.

Quote Originally Posted by josh 10 View Post
    So with all this talk about the broad river wma, and it being poorly managed, who does a person contact to do something about our areas? It would be nice to be active in this and try to have a voice. There are some wma's in the upstate that are really horrible as everyone knows. Too many people hunting and not enough ducks. How could this be voiced to the state to let the actual hunters come together and decide how they should be regulated and managed instead of the state? We know theres tons of knowledge from hunters on habitat and ethics for the most part. These are our places. My younger brother and his friend find it hard to believe we used to shoot limits of mallards regularly at public ground because of the way things have changed. I went to a meeting several years ago about them opening back up parts of lake Wylie, I know there are a few on here who where there. We mentioned something about a new wma at worth mountain on the broad river and it was shot down immediately by a warden. Money was the first thing that came out of his mouth. Where is all our license and stamp money going? I'm positive there would be volunteers to help out with a project if we felt it would be managed properly and it would not just be and over crowded wood duck shoot with a bunch of idiots. Something that would take a while for the ducks to imprint on and if managed right they can shift migrations.its been proven out west. 20 years ago there was no rice around semo or ne arkansas. all cotton and beans.rice moved north from Stuttgart and more and more ducks showed up.im not saying we would ever have that much but it could be alot better. Just wishful thinking
    If you are not already a member of the South Carolina Wildlife Syndicate you could start there. GO to facepage and look it up if you have it. David Strickland (Strick 9) is doing some good things in the name of waterfowl for our state as well as other wildlife. Would be a good place to start.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Place we hunted last year told me not to come this year due to the weather and lack of birds in the SEMO area. Crazy after what I saw out there last year in terms of volume of birds.