Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey Rubberhead...Trolling motor shaft length

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Hey Rubberhead...Trolling motor shaft length

Do you have a TM on your 186DC? If so what shaft length?

For all others who may have some input, would a 60” shaft be enough for a key west 186dc?

Not if its a tiller. But on a DC you may be limited by how far back the windshield is and the angle you need for it to deploy and clear the rubrail. The longer you that will fit, the better.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

Quote Originally Posted by Goin Coastal View Post
    Not if its a tiller. But on a DC you may be limited by how far back the windshield is and the angle you need for it to deploy and clear the rubrail. The longer you that will fit, the better.
    Looking at minn kota terrova. Some guy on the KW forum said he's running a 60 and it was plenty, said he actually could go 54. Hoping I can figure this out without splashing the boat.

Just remember, you can set a 60 shaft higher with the collar but you cant make the 54 longer if needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBrother View Post
    I can eat a bowl of alphabet soup and shit out a thought process better than the vast majority of you clemmings.

No trolling motor - sorry. I had the boat out of the weekend - the more I run it the more I like it, though.

Let me know what you find - I'll probably cross that bridge at some point too.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    No trolling motor - sorry. I had the boat out of the weekend - the more I run it the more I like it, though.

Let me know what you find - I'll probably cross that bridge at some point too.
    Pulled the trigger last night on a Minn Kota Terrova 80# 60" Shaft 24v Trolling Motor with i-Pilot Link & Bluetooth.

I'm not going to lie...I wanted to Ulterra bad. I just couldn't bring myself to buy something that was going to potentially cause me a big headache. The auto deploy and trim would have been nice but to many bad reviews of the motor housing cracking, motors failing, etc. So I opted out of the Cadillac.

Ordering new electronics when the Humminbird G3's are back in stock...hopefully in the next week or two. I'm looking forward to the anchoring system and also linking the TM to the humminbird to follow contour lines to troll or fish a bank.
    Last edited by reeltight; 01-09-2019 at 04:10 PM.

Part number 1 showed up today. The tm will be here Monday.

A24BEAB7-93BC-47C5-85FB-00F78EAD9E24.jpg

I will have to remove the pulpit to make it work. No problem though. That’s not really needed for this boat.

5C08CF6B-D24A-492E-BFBB-C130E83359AB.jpg

All the pieces in hand now but the batteries but those are coming. Ready to get this and the humminbird G3N installed and start fishing

C1B305C8-8C59-4992-83C7-0D60F9E57259.jpg

Where are you putting the batteries? I also have a KW186DC. My batteries are under the passenger console. I have 2 Duracell AGM batteries from Sams.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
    Where are you putting the batteries? I also have a KW186DC. My batteries are under the passenger console. I have 2 Duracell AGM batteries from Sams.
    I have Duracell’s coming as well. Looking to put under the passenger console as well but may put one on each side of the boat and move them to the storage at the bow under the seats. I’m still keeping a house battery in the back for cranking and electronics.
    Last edited by reeltight; 01-24-2019 at 08:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post

Where do you have your fish finder?

I also have a duracell AGM for my house battery. It is in the rear starboard storage area. Here are a few pics of my fishfinder. My unit is old as I bought it in 2006 when I bought the boat- but it works fine. I wanted my fishfinder in the middle of the boat. It is on a Ram mount and it still allows me to use the cup holder behind it. If I can help- let me know. I have installed everything on mine - myself-- all DYI. Last year I replaced my trolling motor with an Ulterra- so far so good.
    Good luck.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice. How do you like the Ulterra? That's what I wanted but man the horror stories on the www. Even Minn Kota shows them "out of stock" and have since mid 2018. I spoke with a couple dealers that had them and even had a dealer tell me to stick with the terrova.

I see you have a pedestal upfront. Did you just mount that in the nose area of the front seating? Where did you mount your bearing puck for the TM?

I really like the Ulterra. I bought mine in the summer of 2018. It was manufactured in April of 2018 and is considered a "version 2". I ordered mine from Overtons. I have not had any issue with mine- it works flawlessly. When I bought mine- Overtons had a 15% off deal and it surprisingly applied to trolling motors- so I got it for less than the Terrova's regular price. Overtons has since stopped doing that- as Minn Kota strictly controls pricing on their motors.

I mounted the puck in front of the drivers windshield. There is a recess there that the puck fits in nicely and it allows the wire to drop down into the driver's console and wire into the fuse box.

My boat had a pedestal mount in the bow when I bought it new. I think it was part of the fishing package. The base is mounted in that nose area in front of the seating. I dont really ever use that bow seat. One of the best things I did was cut a piece of 3/4 inch starboard to create a "filler" in the bow and covered it with SeaDek. This was a lot of work to get it to fit correctly - but it is awesome. A bow filler was listed as an option for the 186DC but KW never manufactered them. See pics attached. This makes the bow of the boat a much better fishing area.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very nice. Depending on what type of fishing you are doing I can see that being very beneficial.

Step one...mounting trolling motor...complete

This was actually kind of difficult by myself. Ended up backing with with starboard and she's sturdy.

IMG_0434.JPG

IMG_0437.JPG

IMG_0438.JPG

And the power showed up today...2 for the tm and a new house/crank battery.

IMG_0439.JPG

Looks great reeltight. Nice, clean work too. You should do this for a living...
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    Looks great reeltight. Nice, clean work too. You should do this for a living...
    In doing this I’ve learned I do not want to do this for a living you’ve inspired my “clean” work. I can tell you, getting in that console to take measurements and work was tough. And trying to maneuver a 31 battery in there while there’s already one in place...good gracious nowhere to get leverage from.