Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GM active fuel management

I had a lifter fail while driving down the interstate, sounded like the engine came apart but I noticed the truck was still running when I pulled over (heavy slapping on the top end).
    Called Kevin while sitting on the side of the highway and he instantly told me what it was. I drove the dang thing home and tore it down and sure enough, two lifters were collapsed
    That was about 1 1/2 years ago, I think I got lucky and avoided the cam getting wiped out. Been running good since the fix. KRT won't steer you wrong and knows his stuff

This may be a little off topic, but KRT....what causes these motors to "burn/use oil?" I have a 12 silverado that I had you delete AFM when it had around 30k miles. I now have around 70k on it, and still running great. BUT it still uses about a quart of oil in between oil changes, my wifes 07 Yukon, and many other owners of these motors; do the same exact thing? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by KRT View Post
    I do have a 2016 Ram with the 6.7 Cummins in the shop now. Head has to come off.... I’ve been taking pictures and will post as the job comes closer to completion. I can’t wait to hear Timsmith and Southernduck tell me how these are the best diesels on the planet.
    They all break just some more than others.
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by carolinawaterfowler View Post
    This may be a little off topic, but KRT....what causes these motors to "burn/use oil?" I have a 12 silverado that I had you delete AFM when it had around 30k miles. I now have around 70k on it, and still running great. BUT it still uses about a quart of oil in between oil changes, my wifes 07 Yukon, and many other owners of these motors; do the same exact thing? Thanks.
    I just left work but I’ll post the GM bulletin #.

Basically GM says replace the valve cover with updated valve cover, AFM oil pressure relief valve in the oil pan and put a deflector on the oil pump. This will slow down oil consumption esp if DOD is cut off.
    More fuel = more boost!!

Quote Originally Posted by ShortMagFan View Post
    Krt, I run my 2014 Sierra 6.2 in M5 all the time. Never lets it go into v4. Been doing this since about 30k miles (80+ now). Rpms run a little higher at 80mph on the highway but not enough to bother me. Does that accomplish the same thing as disabling afm? Any other unintended consequences?
    I do the same on my 13 Silverado with 5.3.
    "Never Trust a Skinny Chef."

I do have a 2016 Ram with the 6.7 Cummins in the shop now. Head has to come off.... I’ve been taking pictures and will post as the job comes closer to completion. I can’t wait to hear Timsmith and Southernduck tell me how these are the best diesels on the planet.
    One Cummins fix a year ain’t going to keep the shop open Buddy. So I think they are . Every thread in Vehicles contains either a Chevy or Ford. Proof is written and verified by our resident diesel guru, which is you. But most of us would like to see inside a Cummins, god knows how many pics of the inferior diesels we seen.

KRT is laptop back up to reprogram ECM to remove the AFM?

If I swing by, how long does the AFM thing take? Yes. I want you to drop everything for me.

Civil, I’m back up and running

Jab, 30 mins tops
    More fuel = more boost!!

More fuel = more boost!!

I just left work but I’ll post the GM bulletin #.

Basically GM says replace the valve cover with updated valve cover, AFM oil pressure relief valve in the oil pan and put a deflector on the oil pump. This will slow down oil consumption esp if DOD is cut off.
    So you've got to do all this if you delete the AFM? My '12 has 65k on it and the only problem I've had out of the AFM is that I put flow masters on it and it sounds like shit when it drops down to 4 cylinders. What's the delete cost?

Check. I will be there one of these years...

Quote Originally Posted by Pcole View Post
    So you've got to do all this if you delete the AFM? My '12 has 65k on it and the only problem I've had out of the AFM is that I put flow masters on it and it sounds like shit when it drops down to 4 cylinders. What's the delete cost?
    Pre 2013 doesn’t have all this. I’ve done a few with great results.

I’m doing the AFM delete for $150 these days or 300 for a delete and a gas tune.
    More fuel = more boost!!