Thread: Quality glass

Default Quality glass

I have been thinking for a while now about putting a quality scope on my rifle. I am most interested in gaining a bigger advantage in low light. I have a Leupold Vx3 now. Lets set the budget around $1500. Just interested in what everyone suggest and may find a deal. I also want it to be for long range. Something up to 20 or 25 zoom.
    Last edited by banded_mallard; 01-04-2019 at 02:57 PM.

Lots of options in that price range. I really like my nightforce NXS.

Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Insane amount of options in that price range. Too many to list.

Go to PSA, Cabelas, Bass Pro, somewhere that has a lot of options and look at them all. I was in the same boat a few months ago and once I went and held them all I knew exactly which scope I wanted.
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Quote Originally Posted by banded_mallard View Post
    I have been thinking for a while now about putting a quality scope on my rifle. I am most interested in gaining a bigger advantage in low light. I have a Leupold Vx3 now. Lets set the budget around $1500. Just interested in what everyone suggest and may find a deal. I also want it to be for long range. Something up to 20 or 25 zoom.
    Also, quality of the glass trumps a high zoom range. Rather have a crystal clear 10-16X than a mediocre 20+X with a small eye-box.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I'd throw this one in saltydogs list also, ccleroy has one and it's really nice glass for the price.
    https://www.eurooptic.com/5011-Stein...cope-5011.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by banded_mallard View Post
    I am most interested in gaining a bigger advantage in low light. I have a Leupold Vx3 now. Lets set the budget around $1500.
    I like where your head is at...

If low light is a concern, you have to go with something that has a illuminated reticle imo. You have tons of great options with that budget. Will be hard to narrow it down. Personal preference will win out
    Last edited by Remy; 01-04-2019 at 04:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    I'd throw this one in saltydogs list also, ccleroy has one and it's really nice glass for the price.
    https://www.eurooptic.com/5011-Stein...cope-5011.aspx
    Burris version will cost you a lot less. Veracity or MTAC I believe.

Stretch your budget a hair more:

https://www.opticsplanet.com/schmidt...apped-adj.html

Or if you wait until fall, the deals get better, I bought my Stratos for less than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    Also, quality of the glass trumps a high zoom range. Rather have a crystal clear 10-16X than a mediocre 20+X with a small eye-box.
    Tell me more. This is the kind of info I am looking for. Which company’s have the better glass? I’m looking to buy a scope for the very long term. Buy once cry once sort of thing. All my hunting within 100 yards is done with a bow. I mainly hunt our roads and powerlines with a rifle. 350-400 yards would be my longest shots.

Swaro, Ziess, S&B, Leica, Meopta etc have great glass. Clarity means detail, contrast and better images. What’s the point of having 24X if you can’t tell what your looking at or the eye box is so small that you have to be perfectly aligned.

What happen to the other thread? Did someone get upset?

Mark 5 3.6-18x44 with a CCH reticle.