Thread: Smoked mackerel

Default Smoked mackerel

Other than it will make good catfood . . . Anyone have any tips on temp, time or brine? This one is steaked not fileted. I did blackfin tuna and it was pretty good, time to do the mackerel.

Make a marinade of olive oil, lemon juice and sugar. Soak the "steaks" in it in the refrigerator for about an hour or two, not too long as the lemon juice will start to "cook" the flesh. Take out and dab dry with paper towels, salt and pepper on the outside and inside, then smoke on the grill for about an hour. It will be done when the meat starts to flake. Makes a fish dip, or you can eat as is. It's an oily fish, so it shouldn't dry out. It's not my favorite, but it will work.

You can also brine in salt/sugar/water over night, then take the fish out and hang in a garage refrigerator or dehydrator over night. Cold smoke(100 degrees or less) for a couple few hours, then transfer to a hot smoke(350 degrees) for two or three hours. Depending on the size of the "steaks", the fish will be done when it's dark and brown/golden. This will reduce the weight or yield by about 25%-50%, but it turns out better. A lot more time invested in an oily fish that you will probably only want to mix up with mayonnaise, lemon zest, vinegar, sugar and thyme and spread on a crusty slice of bread or cracker. Good appetizer for those who appreciate it.
    Last edited by Moonlight Hunter; 01-04-2019 at 02:34 AM.

No need to marinate or brine. Use whatever wood chips you prefer and smoke until desired temperature. Once temp is reached throw it in the trash and go to McDonalds.

I smoked some.marlin last summer that I brined in water, kosher salt, red pepper flakes, brown sugar, balsamic and apple cider vinegar and garlic. I used two vinegars because I didn't have enough of just one on hand. It turned out great.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

I smoked some king filets few years back to make smoked fish dip, pretty damn good

I think all I did was little olive oil with salt/pepper and smoke, filets were fresh and never frozen

Quote Originally Posted by willk View Post
    I smoked some.marlin last summer
    Kilt a billfish. Going straight to hell...

If you want to know how to smoke something, check with Kayak. Now we cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Kilt a billfish. Going straight to hell...
    I didn't kill it. I just smoked a big chunk of it!
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

At the cook shed in 30 mins...

Mackerel turned out ok, did a simple brine for about 30 minutes then into the smoker at 190 for about 3 hours. Pulled them out when they started to flake with a fork. Actually have a very mild flavor, thought it would be very fishy but it isnt. I think it's going to make great dip. Not as good as the blackfin tuna was tho
    Last edited by Frank1; 01-06-2019 at 07:40 PM.