Thread: Small Mud Motor?

Default Small Mud Motor?

I have a 14' aluminum boat I am wanting to outfit with a small motor to use in a small river to get to some small swamps and flooded areas. Not looking for speed but more for function. Trees across the river can/will be encountered along with shallow sandbars at times. Will be driving through flooded timber at times also. I have been looking at DIY kits to turn small HP motors into surface drives, long tails, and even short long tails(Mudskipper Twister). If I thought a water cooled outboard would serve me i would use my other boat but with the likely hood of such obstacles i have turned to air cooled motors. Any suggestion on such kits for long tail vs surface vs Twister? Not looking to spend more than $1000. Appreciate any help. Also using such a small boat because of the size of the river and need to be able to man handle the boat around myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Lazy is not a virtue of a duck hunter.

I’ve never seen much good out of the kits I’ve got a 23 hp GD SD on my 14 and it’s been great.

I picked up an old long tail in Arkansas a couple of weeks ago for $400. Put it on a light 14' jon boat I had out there to cruise some creek bottom we own. Not a speed demon, but it did the trick. I'll try to get a picture of it next time I'm out.

My BIL put together one the long tail kits with a 13hp motor, it's great for going through grass but thats about it. It's a pain to navigate flooded timber with. Get a surface drive if you want a mud motor. If your just dealing with trees and sandbars a breakaway jack plate on a short shaft outboard should serve you fine.

I have a buddy that may want to sell one. Send me a PM and I will send you his #.