Thread: Mounting Boat Motor

Default Mounting Boat Motor

I recently took my 50 hp Tohatsu off of my aluminum boat and installed it on a semi V fiber glass Carolina Skiff. Both boats are the same length (16 ft), have the same transom size (20 inch) and the skiff is even a lighter boat. I leveled the Anti- Ventilation plate with the bottom of the boat but can not get the boat on plain. Any suggestions?

Are you getting a lot of spray from the lower unit? Is it propped correctly with the boat change?

I am not sure about the spray, the boat will just stand in the front to the point where the motor cover is in the water. I dont know much about prop pitch. I mounted it on the aluminum boat and had no problem. So i have no clue where to start with this one.

So you are having a lot of bow ride you can’t overcome to get on plane?
    Where do you have batteries fuel etc? Try shifting that weight to the front and see if you get a different result.

Is your engine trimmed down all the way?

The Battery and fuel tank are in back of boat. The boat had a 40 Yamaha on it and was a side console. I striped everything out of boat except front deck and bench seat and put the 50 tiller on it. It plained out fine with batteries and gas tank in back of boat with the yamaha on it. And yes the motor is trimmed all they way down when i try to take off. I've even had two guys sit on front deck to try to get it to plain. Do you think i should raise the motor Higher on the transom?

I would move the batteries and fuel forward regardless.
    Yes I would mount it higher on the transom,you want the a/v plate out of the water when running on plane

I will move battery forward for sure and pick the motor up. The 12 gallon tank i have will not fit under front deck so ill hold off on that and get a smaller tank if needed. Thanks for the help!

If the Yamaha planed out then I would guess that prop is part of your problem here. What blade style and dimension were the prop the yamaha had?
    Last edited by willyworm; 01-02-2019 at 01:04 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

is there a tach? If so, what rpm is it turning when wide open and not planning?

Is it trimmed all the way down when trying to plane or where is the trim position?