Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: .308 AR platforms

I’ve got a Grendel and an SPC. The shorter the barrel gets, the closer they get in performance. My 6.8 has been more reliable. I was shooting a lot of rounds through my Grendel in matches and had some bolt and extractor issues. It shot lights out but the damn thing wouldn’t make it through a 200 round match. If it’s a hunter you’ll probably never have an issue if you buy a quality barrel and bolt.
    My 6.8 barrel and bolt are from White Oak Armory. It’s been flawless and it’s super accurate. I’ve shot 110 Sierras, 110 Accubonds, and 95 Barnes TTSX bullet all over H322. All killed the snot out of deer and pigs. The TTSX was really impressive. I shot a deer facing me at about 220 yards and it lodged in her pelvis. She went down in a heap.
    Federal/ ATK loads a 90 grain Gold Dot that should be a good hunting/ self defense round.
    Last edited by FLS; 01-10-2019 at 07:49 PM.

I put a JP bolt and 6.8 magazine in my Grendel on your advice and haven't had any issues but I don't think I've put 50 rounds through it yet.

My LaRue Grendel upper is cranking right along. About 80 rounds through it is all, though. Two deer shot this year, each went about 30-40 yards. I will handload in time. I would not go less than 18 inches of barrel on a Grendel, though.

My backup plan was a WOA 6.8 SPC upper and bolt carrier group. Still may do that for a dedicated night hunting rig to drop on this same lower group.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    I would not go less than 18 inches of barrel on a Grendel, though.
    I'm getting 2450 fps with off the shelf Hornady 123 SST from a 16" Grendel.

I didn't have any issues until I was well past 1K rounds. I think AA may have had a bad batch of bolts and extractors. The JP runs fine
    Not really an issue now. Local matches have gone tits up and I haven't shot a LR match in almost a year. I'm gonna turn my Grendel upper into some $$$. I've got a bartlein Valkyrie barrel and WOA bolt setting on the shelf in my shop I need to get going.
    If I shoot a LR match this year it will be with a 6.5 bolt or .223 gas gun.
    Last edited by FLS; 01-11-2019 at 08:11 AM.