Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .308 AR platforms

If I had $1500 to spend on an AR-10 I’d buy one of these:

https://www.brownells.com/firearms/r...rod115389.aspx

But I like old shit and prefer carryhandle uppers.

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp Rat View Post
    If I was doing one, I'd consider one of the LaRue kits. A lot of options on caliber and barrel length. You can buy one of their stripped lowers if you buy the kit. If I wasn't equipped to assemble the upper, I'd spring the $199 to have them put the upper together.
    This right here. All day everyday
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

https://www.larue.com/products/larue...5cm-upper-kit/

I think the stripped LaRue lower adds about $250 or so. Assembly is free right now on the upper.
    "Only accurate rifles are interesting " - Col. Townsend Whelen

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Quote Originally Posted by wbrown609 View Post
    I agree with FLS. Not sure how things are now, but I had heard about too many problems with complete .308 PSA lowers and rifles to buy one. Buffers and buffer tubes weren’t right for a while. Not sure if that has been straightened out or not. I think I used an aero buffer tube kit. Bought a Brownells bcg when they were on big sale. Figured with their guarantee it was worth a shot. It has worked great even with cheap Monarch ammo.
    I bought one several years ago and indeed had ejection problems with it. Fired cases basically fell out instead of being ejected...sometimes. They quickly corrected it though. Now it works fine. It is about a 1.5 MOA gun....tested to 400 yards, but that is not bad for a non floated tube. It shoots the best with 130 gr Federal OTM loads. Wish those were still available.
    Last edited by CWPINST; 01-04-2019 at 10:17 AM.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

I appreciate the continued input here fellas! Still looking around, considering options. No huge rush but I think I am ready to get rid of a rifle I never use and put it towards one that I know will get used. I know they are heavier than AR, but that really doesn’t bother me. Realistically I will never be walking 1-2 miles with it at any time. I also regularly hunt with a heavy .308 bolt gun and it doesn’t bother me either. If I think its too heavy, just means its time to get in the gym. Mostly it will be in the truck, and I may keep my AR15 but have a feeling it will start getting left behind once I make a .308 purchase. Every time I grab the .223 I find myself wishing it was a bigger round. I know some others recommended other calibers, but I am trying to streamline the different types of ammo I need on hand at any given time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Save up and get a SCAR. Bolt gun accuracy in a semi-auto platform. A little over 8 lbs with a loaded mag.

Quote Originally Posted by billyjack View Post
    Save up and get a SCAR. Bolt gun accuracy in a semi-auto platform. A little over 8 lbs with a loaded mag.
    You have overestimated my budget a bit for a country truck gun.

Had an armalite 20" AR10. Shot lights out. 150 core locks we're MOA. It was the shit. Unfortunately, it was stolen. I changed stuff on it so I figured I would build the replacement. It is all over the place. I have a different barrel for it but I have not put it on yet. If you build one, get a good barrel and get the bolt from the same company. Pro tip.
    NBK II - Killing is our business and business is good!

Quote Originally Posted by sprigdog View Post
    no. violating it would be enough. taxidermists are too expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    heck, I'll play. If we took away your ability to type, I might not want to punch you in the mouth so much for being stupid.
    Quote Originally Posted by River Hawk View Post
    tits like an old beagle dog

I finally got around to weighing mine. It has a carbon wrapped barrel and a carbon hand guard yet still weighs 11.5 lbs. with scope, without suppressor and no ammo.
    2019-01-06 09.06.36.jpg
    Last edited by Palmetto Bug; 01-06-2019 at 09:13 AM.

You could shed some weight bu changing handguards. That PRI is very well made and rigid, but heavy as hell.

Quote Originally Posted by NannySlayer View Post
    Had an armalite 20" AR10. Shot lights out. 150 core locks we're MOA. It was the shit. Unfortunately, it was stolen. I changed stuff on it so I figured I would build the replacement. It is all over the place. I have a different barrel for it but I have not put it on yet. If you build one, get a good barrel and get the bolt from the same company. Pro tip.
    Solid advice.

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    You could shed some weight bu changing handguards. That PRI is very well made and rigid, but heavy as hell.
    15 oz including the barrel nut. The gun would still be heavy without it.

Quote Originally Posted by Islandguy85 View Post
    You have overestimated my budget a bit for a country truck gun.

If your budget for a “country truck gun” is $1,500 then you don’t need advice from my broke ass.

Quote Originally Posted by billyjack View Post
    If your budget for a “country truck gun” is $1,500 then you don’t need advice from my broke ass.
    Trust me, less would be ideal. I just wanted some options.

Now maybe considering a 6.5 instead of
    .308. Just being indecisive.

PSA has a 6.5 grendel complete build for $699 right now but people on here seem to give them such mixed reviews. I also have to educate myself on difference btwn 6.5 creedmoor and 6.5 grendel as I didnt even realize there were two different 6.5 until I started looking around.

6.5 Grendel is based off a PPC case. It fits in an AR 15 platform. It’s about as much performance as you can set out of that platform. 6.5 Creedmoor is a 308 sized case and will way outperform the Grendel, but it’s a much bigger heavier platform. The Grendel has plenty of power for deer sized game.

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    6.5 Grendel is based off a PPC case. It fits in an AR 15 platform. It’s about as much performance as you can set out of that platform. 6.5 Creedmoor is a 308 sized case and will way outperform the Grendel, but it’s a much bigger heavier platform. The Grendel has plenty of power for deer sized game.
    Thank you sir. I have been reading about it some this afternoon. I am now between 6.5 grendel (or maybe even a 6.8?) or sticking with my original plan of .308 since I already have .308 laying around.
    Any thoughts on a PSA build 6.5 grendel for non competition purposes? I will likely put a 3x scope of some sort on it w a light (either standard white or maybe a predator light) and that is about it. Maybe one day I can swing a thermal sight.

Get a 6.8 and be done with it. Slap it on the .556 lower you already have and rock and roll.
    Carolina Counsel

For a medium range, deer-adequate cartridges that will fit in an AR15, the 6.5 Grendel and 6.8 SPC are the most popular. I have a Grendel and I find it plenty gun for deer out to at least 300 yards, probably a bit longer. The 6.8 SPC is pretty comparable and ammo availability is much better. The parts that need to be swapped are the barrel, bolt and magazine. Then you might get into tuning with an adjustable gas port and perhaps a different buffer weight and recoil spring but only if you encounter loading/feeding problems.

300 Blackout is the new 30-30.