Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Caretaker/Manager Job Opening

Default Caretaker/Manager Job Opening

Looking for a trustworthy individual to take over the manager's position at a plantation near Yemassee in Beaufort County. This is normally not a difficult thing to do, but the catch is that the property is currently on the market, meaning that this could be an interim position, but could also very likely transition to full time with the new owner. It could take 2 months or 2 years to sell.

We need an honest hard working person who doesn't mind rolling his sleeves up and getting dirty. It would require you to live on property in the caretaker's residence. You need to know your way around a tractor, and any mechanical ability is a plus. PM me for details. Thanks.

That sounds like a awesome job.

Yes sir this sounds awesome.
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

I managed a 2500 ac plantation in Georgia for about 3 years in my younger days. I left a desk job in Atlanta that I was burned out on to do it. I wasn't married and had no kids yet and I would say that overall it was an awesome job 80% of the time. It was wonderful when the owners weren't there. I would tell anyone looking into this to know (as much as possible) what is expected of you in regards to the job before you take it. After I took the job I found out that I was expected to cook and be on beck and call for the owners and any guests whenever they were there. This usually involved all of the holidays. On numerous occasions I would get a call after 11:00 pm to turn the lights off in the guest house because the owners kids left them on when they were in there watching TV. I lived 1/2 mile from the guest house while the owners were about 200 yards away in the main house. The owners were also famous for giving no advance notice that they were coming. They would call on Friday afternoon to tell me and be there 3 hours later. They lived in Florida. They expected everything to be perfect when they got there.

I ended up leaving because of that and also wanted to move back closer to my dad as he was getting up in age.

So all I would say is know what you're getting into. Overall it was a great experience on a beautiful piece of property. If I could have just kept the owners away.

Should be a gravy job this time of year, never mind I manage 4500 acres by myself and it’s gravy year round.

Damn
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Timsmith View Post
    Should be a gravy job this time of year, never mind I manage 4500 acres by myself and it’s gravy year round.
    Sounds like you need help....
    I may know a guy that knows a guy...... Just saying....
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Been managing 6000ac for the last 31 years and wouldn’t trade it for anything. Good luck with your search
    80-20 Genaration

Default Caretaker/Manager Job Opening

Yes, this time of year, the workload is pretty light, and I can handle it myself, or with day labor, but it's a good time to get someone trained/oriented before the spring. The other piece of the puzzle is we'd like to have someone on property to keep an eye on things when no one is around.

We don't play the "servant" game. Of course, things happen and there may be times when you get a call after hours or on the weekend, but not to clean up after family members.

Also, speaking Geechie is a plus, so you can communicate with my Grandaddy.

Thanks for the responses, all PM's replied to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Lowcountry Boy; 12-29-2018 at 10:29 AM.

Link to listing for property??
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

Heck of an opportunity!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MKW View Post
    Link to listing for property??
    http://www.jonkohler.com/tomotley/

Rich people problems. Good luck with your search
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

A landowner once told me that you have to fire your caretaker about every five years because they start thinking they own the place.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    A landowner once told me that you have to fire your caretaker about every five years because they start thinking they own the place.

Post #4 seems to affirm your comment.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

My dream would be to be a forester and then retire and manage a piece of property. I have to have something to stay busy...
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by smitch320 View Post
    My dream would be to be a forester and then retire and manage a piece of property. I have to have something to stay busy...
    Mine is to own the property and be my own caretaker.

Quote Originally Posted by lowcountryboiled View Post
    I managed a 2500 ac plantation in Georgia for about 3 years in my younger days. I left a desk job in Atlanta that I was burned out on to do it. I wasn't married and had no kids yet and I would say that overall it was an awesome job 80% of the time. It was wonderful when the owners weren't there. I would tell anyone looking into this to know (as much as possible) what is expected of you in regards to the job before you take it. After I took the job I found out that I was expected to cook and be on beck and call for the owners and any guests whenever they were there. This usually involved all of the holidays. On numerous occasions I would get a call after 11:00 pm to turn the lights off in the guest house because the owners kids left them on when they were in there watching TV. I lived 1/2 mile from the guest house while the owners were about 200 yards away in the main house. The owners were also famous for giving no advance notice that they were coming. They would call on Friday afternoon to tell me and be there 3 hours later. They lived in Florida. They expected everything to be perfect when they got there.

I ended up leaving because of that and also wanted to move back closer to my dad as he was getting up in age.

So all I would say is know what you're getting into. Overall it was a great experience on a beautiful piece of property. If I could have just kept the owners away.
    Just keep the owners away ? Really ? Wtf ?
    80-20 Genaration

Quote Originally Posted by SOUTHERN WOODS View Post
    Mine is to own the property and be my own caretaker.
    Well that too haha

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post

Just have to find the right person. Ben on same property for 31 years and the manager across the hwy has been there over 40
    80-20 Genaration