Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rookie Question - Beaver Set

Default Rookie Question - Beaver Set

The beavers are making a mess at my lease. All the culverts are clogged and the roads are in danger of flooding out. With another inch of rain forecasted it’s past time to reduce the population.

I made a set using a 330 yesterday afternoon after clearing out a culvert to draw attention. I used old sticks to funnel the beaver toward the trap. I thought the trap was too deep but left it as-is. When I came back today it had tripped the trap and buried everything in mud/debris jamming the culvert again.

I believe my mistakes were: trap too close to the culvert and ~6-8” of water over the top of the trap with no “dive stick” (or whatever the actual term is).

I reset the trap and made some corrections to the depth, put the blocking sticks farther away/trap behind them, and added a dive stick to make the beaver dive into the trap to check out the culvert.

I don’t know if you can gather details from the picture but I’d love suggestions to improve my success.

3DEBC4EF-2AE7-42EF-B876-3469669B4E8A.jpg
    Vegetarian: Native American for Piss Poor Hunter

Need to increase your funnel, the sharper the angle, the margin of him tripping the trap with a stick is reduced. Last ones I caught, I used two traps about 4 ft apart on both sides of broken dam, and I used hog panels cut for funnels.

Good info Tim, thanks for sharing.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Find somewhere they are coming in and out and catch as many as possible that way. I prefer footholds on a drowning cable with no bait, just set on the slides under water where their feet touch bottom as they climb out. Catch as many as you can like that prior to baited sets or 330’s. It’s easy to catch the first couple in the 330’s but after that the rest learn quickly. Just my .02. The plus side to your set is you can easily pick up otter as well in those types of sets.
    Last edited by Bowhunter81; 12-27-2018 at 07:54 PM.

I like the 330s on the lower end of the slides. They can't seem to stop fast enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Timsmith View Post
    Need to increase your funnel, the sharper the angle, the margin of him tripping the trap with a stick is reduced. Last ones I caught, I used two traps about 4 ft apart on both sides of broken dam, and I used hog panels cut for funnels.
    Awesome! Thanks.

As for finding slides, I only know of one place where I know they cross a road. It's my next spot to try. I'm so green I will have to look up foot-holds/drowning cable, etc.
    Last edited by gooseaholic; 12-27-2018 at 08:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gooseaholic View Post
    Awesome! Thanks.

As for finding slides, I only know of one place where I know they cross a road. It's my next spot to try. I'm so green I will have to look up foot-holds/drowning cable, etc.
    Trapperman.com
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Trap set too deep. Could be too much Fencing. I like snares also because a beaver doesnt know if the trap missed and went off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

Quote Originally Posted by CUduckreeper View Post
    Trap set too deep. Could be too much Fencing. I like snares also because a beaver doesnt know if the trap missed and went off.

I'm planning checking it daily, but if the trap is completely submerged the regs say I only have to check it every 72 hours (in case I can't get there for some reason). The water was drawing down pretty quickly, but as it sits the top portion of the trap is no more than 1" under water.

Next set of questions:

What is the optimal depth?

If I narrow the angle of the funnel do I run the posts to the bank? This culvert sits at a fairly straight stretch of road. If there is a way around the funnel to the culvert won't the beaver just go around the obstruction and bypass the trap?

While I may be 0/1 in my trapping career I'm enjoying the challenge and learning a new skill.

Sometimes if you get too much water coming through the set floating sticks and debris can set if off. You can see about setting a trap perpendicular to the dammed area as well as they will move across the face of the dam.

Also check where he's coming in and out of the water around the pond. Look for places to set a snare in those spots or just slap a 330 there as well.

The 330 doesn't have to be completely submerged.

From the regs:
    "Body gripping traps used in water sets and other traps used in submersion sets must be checked once every 48 hours."

They will frequent the same slides when entering and exiting the pond. Figure out where those are, and set traps on them. And if using a conibear, learn how to set it with a rope. It is quicker, and safer.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by JBtflo View Post
    From the regs:
    "Body gripping traps used in water sets and other traps used in submersion sets must be checked once every 48 hours."
    Our regs (NC) are slightly different. If it's completely submerged I only have to check it once every 72. If not completely submerged (1/2 is ok) it must be checked daily.

I'm looking into snares for some other places now.

I can see how one can "go down the rabbit hole" with this.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy View Post
    They will frequent the same slides when entering and exiting the pond. Figure out where those are, and set traps on them. And if using a conibear, learn how to set it with a rope. It is quicker, and safer.
    Already setting the conibear with a rope, not sure I would want to mess with one without it! I remembered a thread on here from several years ago that had a link demonstrating the rope method. I'll do some walking around after deer season to find the slides.
    Last edited by gooseaholic; 12-28-2018 at 12:09 AM.

We have been trapping them with .270 and 00 to the face. We have killed 6-8 in a few trips.It really closes the learning curve.
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

Quote Originally Posted by willk View Post
    We have been trapping them with .270 and 00 to the face. We have killed 6-8 in a few trips.It really closes the learning curve.
    That is also on my "to do" list.

Man, no "beaver" jokes??? Scducks is slipping...
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Hang the 330 from wire on the dive pole next time, that fencing job is fine. If the water is deep enough I stack two 330's on top of each other. Leg hold on drowning rods and mock caster mounds with a caster lure will also smoke them right now. Went and checked a dam yesterday and we are going to start on them here shortly.

I just looked at the picture a second time and see the trap now, you need that trap straight in line with the fencing and the dive pole directly across the top, its crooked now and that beaver will make that gap to the left.

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    I just looked at the picture a second time and see the trap now, you need that trap straight in line with the fencing and the dive pole directly across the top, its crooked now and that beaver will make that gap to the left.
    I'm headed out there shortly and will make some changes.

I guess it's best to set the trap then make the funnel?

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    Leg hold on drowning rods and mock caster mounds with a caster lure will also smoke them right now.
    ^^
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Quote Originally Posted by gooseaholic View Post
    I'm headed out there shortly and will make some changes.

I guess it's best to set the trap then make the funnel?
    Yes, get the trap where you want it and work your way out.