Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 41 vs 44

Default 41 vs 44

Why would one prefer one over the other? And yes, I'm asking for opinions AND info.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

Neither. Get a 45 Colt
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Too weak. Made for limp wrists.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

Quote Originally Posted by rp View Post
    Too weak. Made for limp wrists.
    I got some that’ll blow the socks off a 44
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.

Not if you would load some 44s.

I had a ruger Blackhawk 41 mag. It had some custom work done to it, before I got it. It was a very good shooting gun, and enjoyable to shoot. But, ammo wasn't the easiest to find, and not real cheap either. I've never owned a 44, but have shot a few. Personally, if I were to look at getting another along those lines, I would get the 41. Thats just my opinion. I still have some ammo, if you end up getting a 41. It is yours, all you have to do is come get it.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

I have both. I prefer shooting the .41 but that’s because it’s a limited run custom shop S&W 657 that’s got a slick trigger, ported, slab barrel and integral mount. My other .41 is fun too but that hog leg is a PITA, nickel plated, long ass barrel.

The .44 is cheaper to shoot, has more bullet weights and options and easy to find ammo. Recoil in the .44 is more but not substantially more. Mine is a 29 Classic, I’d love to have a 629 one day.

Probably more of a personal preference.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I like the 41, it is limited in bullet choosing and expensive when you find factory ammo. It is true to caliber vs the 44 which is not. I have a black hawk and the wife bought me a henry lever gun to match. It helps on expense when you reload the 41 as well. I use the hornady xtp and nosler's jacketed hollow points over H110. Getting 1350 out go the 6.5" barrel and 1750 out of the 20" barrel.

Both are nice 41 and 44. 44 is easier to find. load em both pretty hot as for what Thomas said about 45 colt if you reload 45 is a better hunting round. That being said. Just my opinion. But 42 cal vs 45. Just research hot +p 45 colt

I'm not looking to get a 41. That'd just be another caliber to keep up with. I just don't understand why some folks think it is so superior to a 44. The stuff people post, not necessarily here, has me wondering. I was just wondering if the 44 was too much or what it was. It's interesting that some people swear by it.

I'm not looking to get a 41. That'd just be another caliber to keep up with. I just don't understand why some folks think it is so superior to a 44. The stuff people post, not necessarily here, has me wondering. I was just wondering if the 44 was too much or what it was. It's interesting that some people swear by it.
    Some people swear by them. On paper and what ive seen on game. The 44 is superior. That being said. Would love 41 in a rifle..

Some people are girly men. All these cartridges are watered down versions of their parents. Look at original 357 and 44 mag loads. Prime example is 10mm. A full power 10mm is pushing a 180 gr bullet at 1400 fps from an auto pistol and 4-5” barrel. Fbi couldnt handle the heat so they created the 40 short and weak

I've got 41's, 44's, and 45 LCs. You won't see any difference in the field. 41 is my favorite by a long shot, but it's a reloaders cartridge. So is 45 LC. If you don't reload, get a 44. Lots of good factory ammo options. If you want to swing a heavy bat get a 454. Big jump in power and performance over the others, but recoil can be moderate to very unpleasant depending on the pistol.

In reality though ive read that a 44 is the top of most peoples recoil tolerance. After dirty harry, the m29 was a hot commodity but that most were sold within a short time with one or 2 rounds missing from the box of ammo. I know a lady who broke her thumb shooting her husbands 44. You get into 454 and 460 etc if you dont hold it correctly it can come back and split your forehead. To me they are like really really hot wings. I can handle em but they arent enjoyable

I've killed a good bit of game including a some big hogs, couple of big Midwestern bucks and a 250lb bear with a .41. It shoots just as flat hits just as hard with similar weight bullets, and tends to be one of the more accurate revolver cartridges. I haven't found anything that a 210 grain Switf A Frame or 250 gr Cast Performance bullet won't shoot through. But you have to reload to get the most out of it. I've also killed a good bit of game with a .44. I saw no different in performance.

Quote Originally Posted by FLS View Post
    I've killed a good bit of game including a some big hogs, couple of big Midwestern bucks and a 250lb bear with a .41. It shoots just as flat hits just as hard with similar weight bullets, and tends to be one of the more accurate revolver cartridges. I haven't found anything that a 210 grain Switf A Frame or 250 gr Cast Performance bullet won't shoot through. But you have to reload to get the most out of it. I've also killed a good bit of game with a .44. I saw no different in performance.
    Was the bear from a revolver or rifle?

Revolver, S&W 657-3. Coastal Bear tag last year here in The Independent Republic. I wish I had bought one of the Marlin .41's before prices went nuts
    Last edited by FLS; 12-27-2018 at 12:03 PM.

I would take the .03 more. Simply because I'm masculine.

Man me to. I want to take one with my ruger 77/44

20181227_181554.jpg

45 is a lot of fun. Ammo used to be pretty cheap. Haven't bought any in quite a few years though.