Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Arrows of choice

I got em from Dr. Shane up at Clemson about 25 years ago when they were all going LITE. Just before the carbon craze came around.

Quote Originally Posted by quackaddict View Post
    https://www.kudupoint.com/product/kp50ext-3-pack/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Interesting. Have you tried the screw in weights? I may have to order a pack and see how well they work.

Those heads look to be a copy of the Simmons design.

If yall arre interested, here is some good stuff on broadheads, FOC, arrow weight and all kinds of goodies.

http://www.tuffhead.com/education/ashby.html#
    Pain is inevitable! Suffering is optional.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Those heads look to be a copy of the Simmons design.
    Kinda sorta not really. They’re a single bevel. Started out with a blade design similar to a Strickland Helix, and then went to a curved blade. Really well built heads though.

Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Beman ICS hunters and Muzzy 125 3 blades. Compound and recurve.
    Tried a bunch of others with varying results. Shot 2 blades out of my longbows and recurves for several years. Great penetration and piss poor blood trails. Wide or narrow, single bevel or double didn’t matter. They never put as much blood on the ground for me as a 3 blade.

bamboo shafts straightened with heat from a bow drill fire, quartz hand knapped chisel point broadhead held on with mastodon sinew and fletchings from California condor right wing primaries and the cock feather from a Carolina parakeet tailfeather. They shoot great from my Matthews monster
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post
    bamboo shafts straightened with heat from a bow drill fire, quartz hand knapped chisel point broadhead held on with mastodon sinew and fletchings from California condor right wing primaries and the cock feather from a Carolina parakeet tailfeather. They shoot great from my Matthews monster
    Hipster

Quote Originally Posted by Phone Man View Post

Quote Originally Posted by wiz18 View Post
    Black eagle rampage with the 50gn outsert. Very happy with them
    Love the Black Eagles too. From what I could find, they make the best weight-for-spine, small diameter arrows and are very consistent.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Quote Originally Posted by WhitewaterDuck View Post
    Love the Black Eagles too. From what I could find, they make the best weight-for-spine, small diameter arrows and are very consistent.
    I can’t find a better arrow. I’ve shot fmj, axis, vaps, all the carbon express models, etc. Go one spine stiffer with a black eagle (i like rampage) and add 50gn up front. Bad medicine.

Gold tip pro hunters. Also use GT screw in weights where needed, started out tinkering with them and 100 gr BHS and FPs to get FOC up to 15%. 395gr arrow weight. These days I just run 125gr BHs and no weights. What I've done in the past is to peruse Archerytalk and pick up used GT Pros in the classifieds when I run across any I can build to suit. Didn't take long to build up a good stock and at less than half retail cost. If you buy them when you don't need them you will never have to buy them when you do and are in a pinch.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

jwilliams is offline 2th Doc's Fishing understudy

Quote Originally Posted by Spur hunter View Post
    Gold tip pro hunters. Also use GT screw in weights where needed, started out tinkering with them and 100 gr BHS and FPs to get FOC up to 15%. 395gr arrow weight. These days I just run 125gr BHs and no weights. What I've done in the past is to peruse Archerytalk and pick up used GT Pros in the classifieds when I run across any I can build to suit. Didn't take long to build up a good stock and at less than half retail cost. If you buy them when you don't need them you will never have to buy them when you do and are in a pinch.
    Great advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Does Elton John know you have his shotgun?

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    Shooting a Easton FMJ, the 12.1 GPI one, can't remember all of its names. With a 75gr brass insert, blazer vanes and 100gr tip. Total arrow comes out to around 530+/-gr. Still considering going to 125gr heads. FOC works out to 13.71%

Bow is quiet and the arrows fly really nice.
    I just put some together just like that. 12gpi fmj, 75 grain brass insert and 125 grain head. They come out to right around 575 grains with 4 inch wrap, blazers and standard nock. Only going 255 fps but they hit hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Woodie View Post
    I just put some together just like that. 12gpi fmj, 75 grain brass insert and 125 grain head. They come out to right around 575 grains with 4 inch wrap, blazers and standard nock. Only going 255 fps but they hit hard.
    Nice.

I just got some iron will heads (100gr) and got some of their 25gr sleeves to add some strength as well as weight.

"This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Nice.

I just got some iron will heads (100gr) and got some of their 25gr sleeves to add some strength as well as weight.

I've been debating on trying Iron Wills myself, they're pricey but I keep hearing great things about them. Right now I don't have any complaints with my Magnus black hornet ser razors.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Woodie View Post
    I've been debating on trying Iron Wills myself, they're pricey but I keep hearing great things about them. Right now I don't have any complaints with my Magnus black hornet ser razors.
    They are very pricey. I’m hoping I don’t regret them. I like the lifetime warranty and being able to resharpen the heads. Hopefully I’ll get a few years out of them.

"This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Personally, I think they’re WAY more broadhead than most folks need. Especially for a whitetail. If I was going on a once in a lifetime moose hunt, maybe. But between Magnus and Grizzlystick and NAP and....

Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Default Arrows of choice

They are very pricey. I’m hoping I don’t regret them. I like the lifetime warranty and being able to resharpen the heads. Hopefully I’ll get a few years out of them.

You can also get a lifetime warrantied head that you can resharpen for a hair over $10 per head with Magnus.

Last edited by quackaddict; 01-31-2019 at 07:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by quackaddict View Post
    You can also get a lifetime warrantied head that you can resharpen for a hair over $10 per head with Magnus.

Yea, but do you get the cool wooden box like the iron wills come in?