Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SCDNR waterfowl survey?

Default SCDNR waterfowl survey?

Does DNR do any periodic waterfowl surveys like other states?

Are they embarrassed to post the results?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

USFWS does.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

When was the last time an aerial survey was done? Anybody know?
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Few days ago.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Every year since I can remember, completely worthless as we could always point to 10 private properties that each overwintered more ducks than the USFWS counted statewide...

Where are the results posted? I'm guessing they are pretty dismal. I would think there would be a bias if only USFWS did the survey.

Does SCDNR do any aerial surveys? Or do they not want the rest of the public to know how many ducks truly winter in SC on private properties?
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Evil corn ponds.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Where are the results posted? I'm guessing they are pretty dismal. I would think there would be a bias if only USFWS did the survey.

Does SCDNR do any aerial surveys? Or do they not want the rest of the public to know how many ducks truly winter in SC on private properties?
    DNR used to participate with FWS. I am sure they probably still do for what little it is worth. Walt Rhodes was the point man, but he ended up taking a job with the Fed and has been instrumental in the pre season counts up in Canada for the last decade or so.

I’d like to see a private property in the state that’s holding more than SNWR right now.

There isn’t one in the Delta, ACE, or Santee Cooper Country as of last week.

And that’s not a negative thing, the refuge is just stacked, and according to the pilot, there’s more ducks around the upper lake than anywhere in the state.

Do they post this count anywhere online?

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    I’d like to see a private property in the state that’s holding more than SNWR right now.

And that’s not a negative thing, the refuge is just stacked, and according to the pilot, there’s more ducks around the upper lake than anywhere in the state.
    What do you think the number is? I truly wouldn't have a clue and just curious what your best guess would be.

40k conservatively on the bluff unit alone.

The whole complex, wood ducks included, maybe 55k.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    Long ago it was published in the state paper
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post

Truth.

What percentage are ringnecks?

About 3k are dingers. Most of which are on Band Pond on the Bluff.

Sounds about right. Hope they will take care of them for the long haul...

Quote Originally Posted by Cypress View Post
    X2

I googled and just kept going in circles

It would be nice to know the estimated SC duck numbers, even if they're on private property.

This is all I can come up with.

Certainly does not show species specific data or exact location counts.

Bogster must have better data access.
    Attached Files Attached Files