Thread: Cast iron cookware

Default Cast iron cookware

Got a couple pieces that I finally decided to clean up, and re-season. I would imagine that they were my wife's grandmother's, as our house was hers. There may be nothing special about them, and it really doesn't matter, as I will never get rid of them. At least not until they are passed down to my daughters. I have looked online, but apparently my googlefoo isn't up to par. Anyhow, here are a few pictures of them, with the only markings I can find on them. The first picture is one pan, and the last 2 pics are of the other. Thanks for any help y'all can give.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

It looks like both pans have 3 notches in their heat ring. They could be Lodge, commonly called “3 Notch Lodge”. Pictures of the handles are useful in identification too.

Yes, they have 3 notches. I'll get pictures of the handles tomorrow. Thanks.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,

Thomas Jefferson

All that gradoo on the side will come off with some hard scraping and elbow grease. You can take it down to the bare metal with a wire brush on a drill press, finishing up with coarse steel wool. Then re-season and it's a brand new pan

That's what I'm doing. Been working on them with a drill and wire brush attachments. I took a newer Lodge pan from my dad's that was extremely rusted and gunked up, that I'm cleaning up for him. I wish I had taken some before and after pictures. Here's a couple pictures of it. I'll oil it and bake it a few more times, then may or may not give it back to him.

Thomas Jefferson

These are the handles of the first 2 pans I'm inquiring about.

Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Two Barrels View Post
    It looks like both pans have 3 notches in their heat ring. They could be Lodge, commonly called “3 Notch Lodge”. Pictures of the handles are useful in identification too.
    Yep, I have my grandmother's set that is 3 notch Lodge. From the 50's or before I think. I don't think they're particularly valuable like Griswold, but they cook just fine.

I have 2 other pieces that I would appreciate some info on, if possible. The 1st is a chef skillet that I know is post 1960. My wife and her sister acquired it early 90's, when they were living at the river. Neither can remember where they got it. It was under the sink, full of water from the sink leaking. The other piece is a 2 qt pot that was in my dad's shed. He is a bit of a picker, and gets lots of crap quite often. The only marking on it, it the "2 QT." on the bottom.

Thomas Jefferson

I really like that 2qt pot!
    I don't know if you have been here, but this site is good for identifying the older stuff...
    http://www.castironcollector.com/trademarks.php
    Last edited by MKW; 12-22-2018 at 08:36 AM.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

A few other cast iron things that my dad has acquired along the way. He has another pot, that he'd let someone borrow. I finally made him let me know who had it, and we went and got it back. I told him the longer it stayed there, the less likely we would be of getting it back.
    Last edited by fuzzy; 12-22-2018 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Fat thumbs and/or auto correct.

Thomas Jefferson

Trade you a la-z-boy for all of this.......

Nope.

Thomas Jefferson

It may be blasphemy but, I have found a great way to start the cleaning process is a self cleaning oven. Place it in upside down and start it. When finished all the old seasoning and crud is gone, heavy rust comes off too.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

I was going to do that, but the self clean is not working on our stove. Anyhow, here's another piece I got out of my dad's shed a couple weeks ago. I'll start working on it, some time after the new year.

Thomas Jefferson

Damn good lookin puddin pots
    cut\'em

With all those pieces to clean, build yourself an electrolysis tank. Plenty of videos on youtube. It will remove all of the decades old crud as well as all of the rust. All you need is a large plastic tub like a Rubbermaid, some rebar or an old steel baking sheet, copper wire, a 12V manual battery charger, and some Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda. It works great. You can hook it up and go do other things while it cooks. Definitely do this outside. Hydrogen gas is the by-product released from the chemical reaction.