Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how To repair this?

Default how To repair this?

It isn’t huge but I’d like to smooth it over? Can I get some epoxy or something to cover it up?
    389A8FD6-196E-43E5-8495-7DFC7A7305DD.jpg

https://www.jbweld.com/products/waterweld-epoxy-putty

I have used this on fiberglass pool that a piece of lawn furniture knocked a hole in from storm. It set under water and has held for years.

MarineTex
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

MarineTex can. Or you can get a gel coat repair kit from West Marine or online and mix the color when you apply it.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Is there any structural difference that would make me want to actually get the gel coat repair over the marine tex or jbweld ? I am not trying to cheap out but $10 vs $40, same product or not ?

MT is an epoxy putty basically. The Gelcoat repair is gel coat for gouges like that.

Looks like you are through the gelcoat layer...Grind/dish it out, glass back in layering, sand, fair, gelcoat/paint

At least if you go the epoxy etc route hit it with a grinder to clean it up first.

There is way more information on Google and YouTube for stuff like this

That’s thru the gelcoat and in to the sweat meat. Make sure there is no water/moisture in there before closing it back up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grind it out good. Fiberglass it.

Ok great, I'll do some more research. I was mainly just wanting to know if this was something I could do at home or if it was more serious that I needed to take it in somewhere.

Just depends on how nice you want it to look when it’s done.

you think 1/2oz would be enough to fill that in ? Ill sand it down a little first , but not a lot.

The link below is for a single tube of 1/2oz filler, or I can get the entire "kit" that has the color matching but is still only 1oz of product.

https://www.amazon.com/FIBRE-GLASS-E...oat+repair+kit
    Last edited by duckz; 12-22-2018 at 03:06 PM.

Flex tape. Dude rides a boat over sharks with a flex tape boat

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Flex tape. Dude rides a boat over sharks with a flex tape boat
    now that's funny.

I found a couple other little scuffs so I am going to get the bigger gel coat repair kit from West Marine. Since a few of the scratches are on the top I would like to color match the best I can instead of having a few white blotches all over! I appreciate the advice.

Although if you look at the picture below now I need some advice on repairing this. The guy before me installed a light bar, which is great except it looks like he used screws right into the fiberglass.

a) is there a way to get underneath that area and use a bolt with a nut on the end? I do have the front hatch but I cant seem to see back that far.

b) if not, what would be my best route to keep the light bar secure. Right now it is bouncing around and making a bigger hole from all the

movement.

light.JPG

Unreal
    867-5309

If you are going to be anal about a duck boat things are going to be very stressful for you.

That being said if you are trying to be that much of a perfectionist, strip everything off of it, fill all imperfections and fair it not worrying about color matching. Then send it to stumpnocker for a paint job and keep an extra quart for future use. Will likely be less expensive than a fiberglass shop filling and gelcoat matching everything.

Its not being anal.. the light bar literally wont stay still. The hole is now too big for the screw. I guess I can get larger screws and open up the holes in the light bar bracket.. but that seems silly because I feel like it will just knock loose again after hitting some big waves or trailering it around.

Fill the hole with epoxy. Drill out and put a rivnut .
    HRCH Fat Daddy Cash MH
    HRCH Tonka's Rebel Yell MH