Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: High Tide speed?

Default High Tide speed?

I may have missed this but I’ve been looking all over the internet and can’t seem to come across the answer.. how fast will a high tide 1503 run with 2 adults with a 25hp ? I’m not trying to race anyone, just need decent speed. I know most go with a 40hp but I’d like to know if. a 25 will work decently.

Very slow. Id guess 22ish
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.
    I am haunted by waters" Norman Maclean.

If you can find one of the old 3cyl 25hp Yamahas you may get that little boat up into the mid to high 20's but I wouldn't expect much more than that without building the motor. Likewise, a 25hp Tohotsu Mega will give you increased speeds with staying at 25hp (labeled) but they are very hard to find and pretty spendy when they do show up for sale.
    Living in Moncks Corner but looking forward to moving back to the West Coast in 2020 where there are more ducks and less duck hunters!! LOL

I had a 13' panther with a 2 cylinder yamaha and it would barely get to 30mph. If I was you, I'd look for a 40/50 yamaha. Especially if you want to have another person and a cooler on board.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

I would not put anything less than a 40hp on a 1503.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 25 will be too small for the super v.

Quote Originally Posted by santee11 View Post
    The 25 will be too small for the super v.
    This. An older friend of mine has a 2 cylinder 25hp on his 1503 and it's a dog.

Don't worry about speed. I would make sure that your boat isn't water logged. Also be mindful of the weight in the boat. If a 25 was all I could do, speed would not stop me from being on the water. Slap that thing on and go! It just might not be a very fast go
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

We've already answered this for you...it's not going to get any faster if you ask again....be lucky if it planes off loaded with 2 guys, dog and gear
    Last edited by FishSticker; 12-21-2018 at 09:07 AM.

It would be like a 9.9 on a 15’ jon boat. Slow and steady. If you want a super v and only have a 25 for now. By all means use it. But if you are buying a boat and motor i wouldnt buy a 25 for it. A fastcraft would be better option for a 25. I used to have one with a 25 merc and it would hold its own.
    "Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of the rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs.

I’m looking for a motor so I don’t have anything now. I’ve only ever had small aluminum boats so I’ve never needed more hp. I’ll pass on this one and keep looking.

Do I need a short shaft or long though? Again, I apologize for my ignorance but I have no clue here.
    Last edited by duckz; 12-21-2018 at 01:24 PM.

if anything bigger than a 25 id want a long shaft and tall transom especially in a high tide. These new 40's are mighty heavy and having that taller transom helps keep backwash down.

I have owned numerous SuperVs over theyears...14s, 15s, and a 16. 1503 with a 20" transom and a built tiller 50 is as close to the perfect do all boat I ever owned. Flats, gigging, lake, sandbar, running the rivers, deep holing, etc. It did just about everything better than most...

20" transom is a must for me....also, open floor with the Charleston box in the back, with no middle bench seat, and an elevated front deck was what I found worked the best for my uses. Middle seat is in the way more than it ever gets used

Quote Originally Posted by FishSticker View Post
    I have owned numerous SuperVs over theyears...14s, 15s, and a 16. 1503 with a 20" transom and a built tiller 50 is as close to the perfect do all boat I ever owned. Flats, gigging, lake, sandbar, running the rivers, deep holing, etc. It did just about everything better than most...

20" transom is a must for me....also, open floor with the Charleston box in the back, with no middle bench seat, and an elevated front deck was what I found worked the best for my uses. Middle seat is in the way more than it ever gets used
    I had one laid out identicle with a 40 merc. If it had been a tall transom id still have it. I didnt know any better at the time as all id ever owned were short transom boats. You stop fast and you got real wet with that cut transom. Also be careful crossing boat wakes with one. You catch that bow angle wrong and it will chunk you out

Mud eagle bought one once that had a 60 yamaha on it. We were testing it out and the trim didnt move as fast as my 50 so i took for granted id trimmed down enough for take off. I eased into it and about the time the nose laid down i hammered the throttle. It stood straight up like a rocket ship. I think i dookied in my pants a little and mudeagle said all he saw was the bottom of the boat. They will hurt you if you arent careful

Quote Originally Posted by duckz View Post
    I’m looking for a motor so I don’t have anything now. I’ve only ever had small aluminum boats so I’ve never needed more hp. I’ll pass on this one and keep looking.

Do I need a short shaft or long though? Again, I apologize for my ignorance but I have no clue here.

Not trying to be an ass but with the questions that have been asked I feel like I should clarify this for you, a
    short shaft (15”) motor goes on a short transom boat. A long shaft (20”) goes on a y’all transom.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Buckin Bronco View Post
    Not trying to be an ass but with the questions that have been asked I feel like I should clarify this for you, a
    short shaft (15”) motor goes on a short transom boat. A long shaft (20”) goes on a y’all transom.
    Yes that does help a lot. thank you, I will measure it today and see what I have. I guess that's the starting point!

If you bought a boat and it is a short transom. I would rebuild it to a tall transom. Again, listen to these boys when they say go with, or modify what you have to, a tall transom. A 40hp motor would be great on that boat.
    "Think A Guy Like Me Worries About Percentages?" Tin Cup

"Some get spiritual cause they see the light, and some cause they feel the heat" Ray Wylie Hubbard

"P.S. I love turkeys. Mostly just hate those who hunt em." Glenn

Quote Originally Posted by duckz View Post
    Yes that does help a lot. thank you, I will measure it today and see what I have. I guess that's the starting point!
    Post a pic....can tell you without measuring what you have

I don't have one, just bought the boat last night. you'd think I would but I had to leave early to work on paying it off this morning and forgot!