Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who's in the timber business up in here?

Default Who's in the timber business up in here?

I'm in Florida and own 100 acres, 67 in 22 year old pines, third row thinned about 10 years ago before I owned it.

I know nothing about the timber business. The land hasn't been burned in at least 10 years (I’ve owned it three and the people before me owned it seven) so it is thick as anything. I need to open it up, so I can see more deer, and the county forester said not to burn it due to the amount of growth. I spoke to a timber buyer and he went to look. He agreed on not burning it due to potential tree loss. He said I should do a selective thinning, more of a plantation cut, and gave me some prices for pulpwood and chip n saw.

Would someone be willing to talk to me about how the timber business works, the prices he gave me, etc?

The man I spoke to spent a lot of time on the phone with me, answering questions, etc and seems like a good fella, I have no reason to doubt he is, but I'm new to this sort of thing.
    Last edited by Geetch; 12-19-2018 at 09:08 PM.

If it's thick now and you "Plantation cut" it you're definitely going to see thick!
    You probably have a lot of waxy understory which is hot fuel.
    Also, ten years young anywhere is very young especially for a plantation cut that will render you understocked in the future.
    You need to start by looking into herbicide control of the understory.... Not only will it reduce the fuel load, open it up for hunting, but also release your crop trees to some rapid growth.
    Then think about a normal thinning operation and fire.
    Is it slash or Loblolly pine?
    Average diamater and height?
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Cali is on point. 22 is very young to thin that heavy and will leave you under stocked in the future, and will leave the trees very susceptible to wind throw for at least a few years following the thinning. Not to mention opening up the overstory will just give all the thick stuff you have now more light and room to grow. Herbicide, normal thin, and then burn sounds like a good solution to me.

It would be a good idea to contact a registered consulting forester in your area. Not bashing commission foresters or loggers/buyers, but a consulting forester can really help you reach your wildlife and timber management goals, as well as help with herbicide work and other necessary management services.
    More Ducks, Less People

Thick holds deer. If you got it just for deer hunting leave it thick and clear out shooting lanes

Post some pics of it

decide how much you care about trees vs deer.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

A couple hours with a bulldozer will clear shooting lanes.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Good advice above, thick w lanes cut is how to hold em and kill em. Layup. Get it too thin or burn it all and they won't lay their head on your AO. Up to you as to what you are after. Find a forester that is a hunter, my 2 cent.

I misspoke on the plantation cut.

I had a good conversation a week or so ago with the buyer about how hunting is my goal and being in the timber business is secondary. The property is a "tree farm" but I use it for recreation and tax advantages more than anything.

I just spoke with the timber buyer a few minutes ago and asked if plantation cut or selective thinning, his comment was a plantation cut is too heavy and won't leave enough trees to harvest later on. He even mentioned that they third row thinned it too early in his opinion. He said he recommends a selective thinning but they'll take what I want to make shooting lanes. His advice was to let them thin and then if I want more they can take more while they are there. Do less up front and see how it looks, if it gets to where I want to be fine, if it doesn't they can do more.

Some pictures:
    Screen Shot 2018-12-20 at 8.32.41 AM.jpg
    10955299_10153492757049766_4674756909442575510_n.jpg
    11752392_10153492756859766_4862629356785127704_n.jpg

Are those Ag fields to your left? I may push a couple shooting lanes, but I would find the trails and hunt the crap out of it in its current state.
    ETA. I know nothing about timber, not even a really good deer hunter.
    Last edited by ersepton; 12-20-2018 at 09:16 AM.

If the budget will allow, a day or two of a skilled operator on a forestry mulcher will be money well spent.

The Woods in the first picture do look like they were thinned too early. I would be hesitant to take anymore there unless it was strictly a few rows for a lane/food plot. I would highly recommend doing something to get that climbing fern in the second picture under control. That stuff will take over if left unchecked. Beat it back with herbicide and then start burning. Burning is always going to be tough on this tract though due to the large amounts of waxy vegetation (bay bushes, palmettos, etc.)
    More Ducks, Less People

Agreed. A true back burn on a cold day you could prob get away with it but it would take a long time.

On our properties we work a similar model to what you are talking about. I can’t tell from the pictures your current BA but we thin to a BA of 60 - 50, mulch 100 ft on each side of the road, then before we get regrowth we burn and burn annually until we get a handle on the understory vegetation. This isn’t for everyone especially if revenue is your main goal but the clientele we are targeting love the aesthetic.
    For the ducks

Talk to a local consulting forester or two. Let them look at it and see what they can do. Cali is right on herbicide. It’s far more effective than burning and lasts longer in my opinion. A consultant works for you. And most are happy to meet and talk with you about what you want and don’t usually charge for the initial meet.

Lots of options! Call Cali he is down that way.

Quote Originally Posted by qlyrata View Post
    If the budget will allow, a day or two of a skilled operator on a forestry mulcher will be money well spent.
    I tried that and he was unskilled. Ended up killing a lot of trees.

cali might be closer to florida but he aint close enough...

you need some understory work. and those trees are sticks.

thinned at 12 years? first mistake.

a combo of herbicides and maybe fire at a later date is likely your best option. then maybe another thinning in a number of years.

I spoke with Cali. He's good people.

he is, indeed

he sucks at forecasting weather but otherwise a decent human being.