Thread: Mesh Network

Default Mesh Network

I have searched the interwebs a good bit and can't seem to find an answer. My next step is to query the brains of the all-knowing scduckers.

I currently have a modem/router and 1000MB internet. The modem/router is located on the far side of the house. My office is located on the other.

I have an ethernet cable run to my office and I'm using a very old router as an access point in my office. Therefore, I am not getting near the speed in my office I get when near the modem/rotuer.

I also seem to notice lag/delay when walking from one side of the house to the other.

My question: Can I set up 1 google wifi in my office and it act as a mesh network without having one connected at the modem/router since I already have the hardwire from the modem/router to my office? My goal is to increase speed/coverage without having lag/delay when walking from once side of the house to the other and not having to buy two or more of the devices.

If there is a better product/solution, I'm all ears.
    The right to bear arms is the last form of defense against tyranny.

Just order the Orbi Mesh network not sure your square footage but the mini system works well for our home and yard. You will be more happy in the long run getting the entire system vs. bandaging it together. Also as you add devices it will help with streaming capabilities. Someone more intelligent than I can explain the technical justification for it but I did our home and won't ever look back...

Out of curiosity, what provider is giving you Gig internet speed?

As to your question, you mentioned your "office" is on the other side of your home... do you work from a laptop/desktop with a wired ethernet port? If so I'd get off WiFi ASAP. WiFi is great until WiFi no worky. Wired is always the surefire connection method, if available. On devices like phones or tablets where a wired connection is not an option then your access point is your weak link regarding speed.

I'd be replacing that old access point if it's not capable of anything over 100MBps. Modern Access Points and wireless routers are 802.11a/c.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by Elcid_Fowler View Post
    Just order the Orbi Mesh network not sure your square footage but the mini system works well for our home and yard. You will be more happy in the long run getting the entire system vs. bandaging it together. Also as you add devices it will help with streaming capabilities. Someone more intelligent than I can explain the technical justification for it but I did our home and won't ever look back...
    I'll look into this.

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    Out of curiosity, what provider is giving you Gig internet speed?

As to your question, you mentioned your "office" is on the other side of your home... do you work from a laptop/desktop with a wired ethernet port? If so I'd get off WiFi ASAP. WiFi is great until WiFi no worky. Wired is always the surefire connection method, if available. On devices like phones or tablets where a wired connection is not an option then your access point is your weak link regarding speed.

I'd be replacing that old access point if it's not capable of anything over 100MBps. Modern Access Points and wireless routers are 802.11a/c.
    ATT fiber in Georgia.

I keep the dock for my computer wired, but it is wired from the access point. I'll shop around and see what I can find. I definitely have some weak areas of the house and a mesh network may end up being what I want/need.

Question: If I upgrade the access point, and hardwire from the access point to the pc dock, will I still capture the same speeds as wiring direct into the pc dock?

An access point doesn't have any wired outputs, it is solely designed to take a wired input from a modem, router, switch, etc and blast out WiFi signal. You must be referring to a router.

Mesh is like the concept I mentioned earlier. It's great until it don't work. For the time a person typically spends configuring one and the subsequent connectivity issues, you coulda just wired you a Ethernet cable from the router to your office and dropped a Wi-Fi router that's blasting out a Wi-Fi signal from right where you're working from.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    An access point doesn't have any wired outputs, it is solely designed to take a wired input from a modem, router, switch, etc and blast out WiFi signal. You must be referring to a router.

Mesh is like the concept I mentioned earlier. It's great until it don't work. For the time a person typically spends configuring one and the subsequent connectivity issues, you coulda just wired you a Ethernet cable from the router to your office and dropped a Wi-Fi router that's blasting out a Wi-Fi signal from right where you're working from.

Understood. I do have quite a bit of devices throughout the house that rely on wifi and after some reviewing of the orbi mini and the fact that costco has it for $160 delivered, I may check it out.

I get it. Wired just isn't an option for many devices. The way I look at it is by level of priority, is the device for work or play? Play gets Wi-Fi if wired isn't an option, work gets wired.

Last edited by willyworm; 12-26-2018 at 08:02 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I installed the orbi mini today. Overall, I am pretty pleased with ease of set up, signal, speed, etc. Costco has it on sale for $160 at the moment and will deliver for no added cost. Work computer dock is hardwired and is getting 236 download/701 upload. Speed test on the phone is getting similar download and and the upload is running about 300.

The orbi caused more problems than it did good. One of the several fire sticks I have wouldn’t operate and a google home mini wouldn’t operate as well. After finding this out and trying to update some apps on my Apple device, I realized the orbi was the root of the problem as I could update apps via cellular and not when on WiFi.

Picked up the Google Wifi pack from Costco which was $140 more, but came with more satellites and in turn provided more coverage inside and outside the house.

After a quick install and device check, everything seems to be operating.
    Last edited by carolinaboy06; 12-23-2018 at 02:16 PM.

So is the orbi for sale
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

I’m going to return it to Costco.