Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coyote traps

Quote Originally Posted by wiz18 View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. Can any of you muster-up a link to a video on how to "season" a new trap correctly fresh out of the package? Or just throw out a brief run down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck the Duck Slayer View Post
    YouTube
    Subscribe to management advantage and watch their videos on trapping
    Trapperman.com

CCLeroy you mind posting your list?
    The part in red. I used full metal jacket after cleaning them up with vinegar. But a pressure washer or diy car wash bay will work as well
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Quote Originally Posted by wiz18 View Post
    Thanks for the info guys. Can any of you muster-up a link to a video on how to "season" a new trap correctly fresh out of the package? Or just throw out a brief run down.
    I go ahead and put the trap fully together. I use a j hook with the swivel that comes with the trap and put a 18 in cable or chain on it with the super stake. A vice works really well to bend the j hooks. Then if i am in a hurry i will spray the traps down with a degreaser and pressure wash them really well. If i have time i boil (more like a simmer not a hard boil) for a hour to get all the new grease off. I bought a big wash tub from tractor supply. Very cheap and use my turkey fryer stand. Then Hang outside for a week to get a little surface rust. After a little surface rust, i fill my tub back up and add log wood dye. I slightly boil for 45 min or until the color i want. Let dry over night. I also bought a 3 gallon metal bucket with a lid to go on it. I have 8 lbs of wax in it i think. I heat that up until it is liquid. I dip trap in for a minute pull out and hang to dry. I keep dipping traps one at a time until i am done. Be careful to not let over flow. Wax is flammable. Traps are finished and ready to go in ground. Let wax cool and get back hard. Put lid on it and it will be good until the next time.

After that first year, i pressure wash all the dirt off to make them clean. Look them over to make sure they are in working order. Then dye and wax. Works well.
    Last edited by Rem11-87; 12-19-2018 at 07:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rem11-87 View Post
    I go ahead and put the trap fully together. I use a j hook with the swivel that comes with the trap and put a 18 in cable or chain on it with the super stake. A vice works really well to bend the j hooks. Then if i am in a hurry i will spray the traps down with a degreaser and pressure wash them really well. If i have time i boil (more like a simmer not a hard boil) for a hour to get all the new grease off. I bought a big wash tub from tractor supply. Very cheap and use my turkey fryer stand. Then Hang outside for a week to get a little surface rust. After a little surface rust, i fill my tub back up and add log wood dye. I slightly boil for 45 min or until the color i want. Let dry over night. I also bought a 3 gallon metal bucket with a lid to go on it. I have 8 lbs of wax in it i think. I heat that up until it is liquid. I dip trap in for a minute pull out and hang to dry. I keep dipping traps one at a time until i am done. Be careful to not let over flow. Wax is flammable. Traps are finished and ready to go in ground. Let wax cool and get back hard. Put lid on it and it will be good until the next time.

After that first year, i pressure wash all the dirt off to make them clean. Look them over to make sure they are in working order. Then dye and wax. Works well.

Pro-tip: have a large plywood board or sheet of tin big enough to cover your waxing pot on the small chance you set it on fire. The lay the board over to smother it.

Pro-tip: use full metal jacket and you don’t have to dye and wax.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

Default Coyote traps

Quote Originally Posted by Longbeard Exterminator View Post
    That Violator #7 is awesome to rub under ur buddies seat in his truck.....
    Violator 7 has nothing on Jeff Dunlaps Hellfire, I had my postal courier personally call me one day to tell me she just delivered a small box and threatened to quit if I ever again ordered whatever was in it. When I say it’s bad, I’m under exaggerating 10x....it’s pure uncut skunk essence.
    Last edited by ccleroy; 12-24-2018 at 06:40 PM.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

How quickly do you pick up and move if the traps are empty? Every 2-3 days?

Also, do you re-bait after rain?

Default Coyote traps

Be patient with your sets, make sure to set on sign. I have had sets sit as little as 1 day and as long as a month. Canines can smell your bait long after the smell is apparently gone in regards to our nose, they can smell 10,000 times better than we can. Once you bait, unless the bait is stolen I would leave it alone.....I had a set sit 15 days then go through all the rain we had last week 6 solid days, completely submerged dirt hole.....once the rain quit I had a coyote visit the set. They can smell better than you could imagine, best advice I can give you is to set on good sign, bed your traps good,make your sets as natural as you can and leave them alone! Be patient!!!
    Last edited by ccleroy; 01-07-2019 at 07:41 AM.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Quote Originally Posted by ccleroy View Post
    Violator 7 has nothing on Jeff Dunlaps Hellfire, I had my postal courier personally call me one day to tell me she just delivered a small box and threatened to quit if I ever again ordered whatever was in it. When I say it’s bad, I’m under exaggerating 10x....it’s pure uncut skunk essence.
    Two years ago I ordered some lures and powder river paste from Min. Trapline. It made it to Columbia and never moved. I waited a few days and called the post office. Nobody could tell me what happened to it. So I called Min. Trapline and they sent me a reorder. It came in a few days . Then about a week later the orginal order showed up in a bigger box. The mail carrier complained how bad it smelled, said she had to keep it in the very back of the truck. She told me that when it got to Columbia a drug dog hit on it and they had to go through it to make sure no drugs where in it. So drug dogs like Voodoo, Hawbakers coyote special, and GH II.