Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coyote traps

Default Coyote traps

For a beginner what would be the best way to get into trapping coyotes? I see the package deals where you get traps, scents, baits etc. Is that something some of you guys would suggest or another route?

If you're totally new to trapping, I suggest you find someone experienced that is willing to let you tag along...It's lots more to it and immensely harder than most people think to be consistently successful...It is a rewarding hobby and a great wildlife management tool nonetheless.

Personally, I'd stay away from the package deals as I see in them items you don't need and items you need that aren't there...Going with somebody experienced for awhile will make it apparent what you need.

Go to traps for Coyotes is MB 550.

Agreed on the package deals, I did the package route when I started but quickly found out the baits and lures werent what I needed. Definitely find someone willing to let you tag along, I ask to ride along with trappers just to pick up new tactics and it will help your learning curve. Dont skimp on traps, you could buy 2x as many dukes,Victors or bridgers compared to the MB-550s but youll be modifying them and tweaking after a catch, MB-550 or K9 Xtremes. If you want a list of equipment shoot me a pm and Ill get you a list of stuff that will help you starting out. Have you checked YouTube for the plethora of trapping videos?

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

I have... the guy recommended the MB550s...there is a local guy that said he woukd teach me. So ill give him a call first and see what he does... thanks

YouTube
    Subscribe to management advantage and watch their videos on trapping
    Trapperman.com

CCLeroy you mind posting your list?
    Last edited by Chuck the Duck Slayer; 12-18-2018 at 07:29 PM.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Bridger #2 Dogless is a great trap. The MB550’s are awesome, but expensive. Tons of info on YouTube, you will catch critters on a lot of the commercial baits but the ones based on “the old Nelson formula” seem to work better in my experience. Prepare to become addicted, and it may be the most labor intensive hobby you have ever done if you do multiple properties or take on jobs once you gain experience.

Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Which MB-550 are you guys running, the offset 4 coil?

https://www.hoosiertrappersupply.com..._4-coil.html#/

Offset 2 coil here.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

Found this vid to be full of good info for someone like myself thinking of taking a stab at it

Quote Originally Posted by wiz18 View Post
    Which MB-550 are you guys running, the offset 4 coil?

https://www.hoosiertrappersupply.com..._4-coil.html#/
    I’ve got the 550 offset standard 2 coil. Thought I might beef some up so I bought the 4 coil conversion kit (just extra coils). I put a set and one trap to see how much affect it had. I could set the trap but it was WAY harder than I wanted it to be. The four coil is overkill in my opinion, at least for the mb550. That being said if anyone wants I’ll give them a set of extra coils to see for themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

https://www.minntrapprod.com/mobile/...info/550START/
    This is the starter kit that was recommended to me.... thoughts?

Ricky is spot on, just be done with it and buy the MB550, 2 coil offset. I started with 4 coil and made them 2 coil after trial and error.
    Mb550s
    Superstakes
    Superstake punch
    Mb crunch proof swivels
    Knee pad
    Set hammer tool
    Sifter
    Hole punch
    Wax and die
    Buy pillow filling to put under the pan
    Sheep wool
    Powder river paste has been my number one bait for year, then Hiawatha, predator bait plus, I sure do miss “just mice” though.
    Lures – Voodoo, GHII, violator 7, yodel dog, Purrrfect
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Default Coyote traps

Quote Originally Posted by buckpro View Post
    Ricky is spot on, just be done with it and buy the MB550, 2 coil offset. I started with 4 coil and made them 2 coil after trial and error.
    Mb550s
    Superstakes
    Superstake punch
    Mb crunch proof swivels
    Knee pad
    Set hammer tool
    Sifter
    Hole punch
    Wax and die
    Sheep wool
    Powder river paste has been my number one bait for year, then Hiawatha, predator bait plus, I sure do miss “just mice” though.
    And theres the list! Perfect, one thing to add is get a good heavy duty sifter,like the one below.

Last edited by ccleroy; 12-19-2018 at 10:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by buckpro View Post
    Mb550s
    Superstakes
    Superstake punch
    Mb crunch proof swivels
    Knee pad
    Set hammer tool
    Sifter
    Hole punch
    Wax and die
    Sheep wool
    That Violator #7 is awesome to rub under ur buddies seat in his truck.....

Quote Originally Posted by Longbeard Exterminator View Post
    That Violator #7 is awesome to rub under ur buddies seat in his truck.....
    I'd burn your house down, along with the truck seat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

If you plan on doing much traping, the MB 550 offset 2 coil is the only way to go...Buy them once and get it over with...You'll wind up modifying and repairing anything else
    and have as much in them anyway.

If you intend to pursue the live market, the offset 2 coil is a necessity.

Thanks for the info guys. Can any of you muster-up a link to a video on how to "season" a new trap correctly fresh out of the package? Or just throw out a brief run down.

Thanks fellas, I hope to show pics sometime

DNR has a booklet on it. It will get someone started.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.