Thread: Coon/possum traps

Default Coon/possum traps

Wanted to do a little trapping on a piece of land before turkey season this spring.

Need some recommendations on a what brand dog proof leg hold traps to use.

Thanks
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

just use a cage type trap on coons and possums.

I use Duke dog proof traps.

Cheap cat food and fish oil for bait is the ticket
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Quote Originally Posted by SCswampCAT View Post
    Yep, sardines and honeybuns will catch plenty
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

I prefer the Sudden Valley Coon daggers, but nothing wrong with Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    Yep, sardines and honeybuns will catch plenty
    Marshmallows are my go to. I can pre make the baits by putting a piece of bailing wire through three mellows and make a hook on one end to hang them in the trap. Then as I check traps I can just open up the back door and replace the mellows if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by SCswampCAT View Post
    You can run a lot more DP's ,for the money, than cage traps.

Quote Originally Posted by SCH20FWLNSUX View Post
    Ahhh, I see.

Quote Originally Posted by SCH20FWLNSUX View Post
    Kinda what I was thinking.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

I've got 6 Duke traps on the way. Sardines and marshmellows ready. Pretty excited to dip a toe into this.

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    I've got 6 Duke traps on the way. Sardines and marshmellows ready. Pretty excited to dip a toe into this.
    Don’t put sardines in your dp’s......just dried cat food and marshmallows. And coons will get smart to the dp’s.....you’ll catch the majority but I’ve found once they see a few of their buddy’s get caught by them they steer clear, bring out the cage traps for the rest.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

True cage traps aren't the cheapest, but cages and cheap sardines will clean out the woods.....

Cage fan as well.

I have always done well with just shelled yeller corn on coons. May have to try the marshmallow for this smartass that keeps bathing in the fryer...

And...........

Little bit of a gray area depending on who you ask, but the SC Regs specifically say a live trap is permissible year 'round for feral animals...So, technically it's not legal to kill a coon when it's not in season, but it can be relocated...I catch a lot of flack sometimes for my views and relocating game, but if you want maximum effect on nest predation, cage trap and relocate just before and during Turkey season...During legal foothold trapping season you're catching a lot of coons that are rutting and moving around...Not necessarily the ones that are inhabiting your place.

It changes the outlook and it's controversial, but it really works.

Let the bashing begin, I've got Rhino Skin........
    Last edited by Swift Strike; 12-26-2018 at 05:53 PM.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Quote Originally Posted by ccleroy View Post
    Don’t put sardines in your dp’s......just dried cat food and marshmallows. And coons will get smart to the dp’s.....you’ll catch the majority but I’ve found once they see a few of their buddy’s get caught by them they steer clear, bring out the cage traps for the rest.
    Dried cat food with fish oil will also help.

I've set dp traps around the feeders and had a coon in each of the 4 traps three nights in a row before moving to another feeder
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

I have Z-Trap dog proof traps. They work on a push or pull bait action.

As far as the cage traps...I would “relocate”the coons in the cages to a 55 gallon drum of water until the bubbles quit coming up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Swift Strike View Post
    And...........

Little bit of a gray area depending on who you ask, but the SC Regs specifically say a live trap is permissible year 'round for feral animals...So, technically it's not legal to kill a coon when it's not in season, but it can be relocated....
    My dad had to talk his way out of a ticket from a game warden who caught him about to release a coon into the marsh from a cage trap. Warden said it is illegal to relocate game animals without a permit. That's a law I mostly agree with.