Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old School Southern Names

Mergie Master is offline Dedicated Tamiecide Practitioner

Default Old School Southern Names

I saw some Yankees catching yellow perch in a video about a week ago and it got me to thinking about the names of fish, birds and beast I grew up with. My dad was a surprise baby, he came late to Grandma and Grandpa so all my uncles and aunts were older folk and still used all the old Southern lingo. That's what I grew up with and I catch myself to this day using names for critters and younger folks sometimes have no idea what I'm talking about. Although most of them won't ask for fear of looking dumb, some will ask. Anyhow with that in mind I commenced to writing them down when they came to mind. Lets see if y'all remember these or how many you remember. Your grandpa's, if they grew up southern probably remember all of them.

Like I said above the Yellow Perch was what got me started cause I always heard them called Eisenhowers or coon fish. For obvious reasons, they were bait thieves when we were crappie fishing with minners. It was said if you throw them back they'll just commence to stealing your minners again. So we threw them in the bushes for the coons. My grandma was fond of twisting their head till the spine popped afore she threw them in the bushes. I guess she didn't want them to suffer. Grandma was kind like that.

Oh and why Eisenhower, the story I heard was they were stocked down here by the government during the Eisenhower administration. But that's probably just folklore. I dunno.

• Yellow perch - Eisenhower - coon fish
    • Bowfin - mud fish (I've heard old kinfolk from down around Lugoff call them - cypress trout)
    • Crappie - papermouth perch
    • Largemouth bass - green trout
    • Chain Pickerel - jackfish or jack
    • Di Dapple - grebe
    • Pileated woodpecker - wood hen (we shot'em and ate them)
    • Northern flicker - yellowhammer
    • Bobwhite quail - partridge or just "birds" when used with the word hunting
    • Great blue heron - Rain Buzzard - Old Joe - Lonesome Joe (cause they are almost always alone)
    • Swamp rabbit - canecutter
    • Striped skunk - polecat
    • Spotted skunk - civet cat
    • Salamander - spring lizard
    • Snapping turtle - mud turtle
    • Cuckoo - rain crow
    • Barred owl - hoot owl
    • Screech owl - skrunch owl
    • Redtail hawk - chicken hawk
    • Cooper's Hawk and Sharp-shinned hawk - blue darter (for both)
    • American kestrel - sparrow hawk (although it's actually a falcon)
    • Eastern hognosed snake - spreading adder
    • Rat snake - blacksnake
    • Creek chub - horny head
    • Downy woodpecker - sap sucker
    • Turkey vulture-buzzard
    • Flathead catfish - mudcat
    • Most sunfish-bream
    • Redear Bream - stump knocker - government bream (I think the lowcountry calls them shellcrackers)
    • Blue jay-jaybird
    • House sparrow - English sparrow
    • Ruby crowned kinglet - shot dodger
    • Towhee - Joe Reese
    • Wood duck - summer ducks
    • Coots - gizzard ducks
    • Pond slider - water cooter
    • Cardinal-redbird
    • Red-headed woodpecker - black coattails
    • Gray squirrel - cat squirrel
    • Copperhead - high land moccasin

• Jonquils - Johnny Quills
    • Any mushroom you orta not eat - toadstool

From kin in the mountains:

• Native brook trout - speckled trout
    • Stocked trout - doughbellies

Non-Animals

• Fertilizer - guano (pronounced: guanner)
    • Burlap bag - croaker sack or guanner sack
    • Ghost or spook - haint
    • Any scary unknown monster type critter that would grab you from behind in the dark - booger

I'm sure I'll think of more. I ain't as sure that I'll add to this.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Eisenhowers got their tail cut off and tossed back in the river to fatten the turtles.

A copperhead was a pilot in Horry County.
    Honey...I'll do it after the season is over.

Originally Posted by cudexter
    I would argue that JP has the highest "quality" to "trash talk" post ratio on this site.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Air Raid
    ... Wait till 3 years from now! ...

A spreading adder. All my life I thought it was a spreading outer, as in, that's what he did. I haven't heard a lot of these in a long time. And btw the name shellcracker spreads far past the low country. Sometimes it morphs into shell crappie if you're fishing off the bank in McCormick. Good post to
    Last edited by Cooney; 12-18-2018 at 06:56 AM.

Grandaddy used to always call armadillos possums on the half shell...back in the 70's they were everywhere around here... apparently starting to make a comeback.

Redfish are still spottails and cudas area still Walterboro wahoo...

Auto gyro. Pronounce ottogiro. Helicopter.

Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    • Redear Bream - stump knocker - government bream (I think the lowcountry calls them shellcrackers)
    growing up on and around the Edisto River, a stumpknocker and a shell cracker are two different things. a shellcracker is a redear...big ass bream that people go nuts over during the spawn, that i think tastes like mud...

BUT, a STUMPKNOCKER is a "spotted sunfish". short but thick little bream that almost always has buddies with him. You catch one stumpknocker, drop a cricket right back in the same place and almost everytime you will catch a few more. stumpknockers make excellent groceries when fried crispy.

stumpknocker-
    spotted-sunfish-.jpg

I always thought a "cat squirrel" was a fox squirrel. Being that some are about the size of a house cat.

Heard a swamp rabbit called a blue belly and a canecutter is a big ass rabbit. Sounds crazy but a canecutter isn't that common.around here. Those guys in Mississippi and Louisiana had some pictures.
    Last edited by SCDAWG; 12-18-2018 at 08:54 AM.

johnny no shoulders...

Doe-Slick head
    Pack of crackers-Nabs
    Turtle-Cooter
    Last edited by Tha Dick; 12-18-2018 at 09:12 AM.

I always called a mudfish a lake lawyer.
    DILLIGAF

Anything carbonated is a coca cola
    Big bream= titty bream
    Coon-trash panda
    Snake-mr no shoulders
    Doe- slick head or nanny
    Squirrels=tree rats
    Antique farm equipment= cant post that 1
    every expert was once a beginner

Red drum = spot-tail bass.

Chicken snake = a rat snake that isn't black.

Cottonmouth = water moccasin

Heinz 57 = mixed dog

and one I learned from here was ditch tiger.

Quote Originally Posted by SCDAWG View Post
    Heard a swamp rabbit called a blue belly and a canecutter is a big ass rabbit. Sounds crazy but a canecutter isn't that common.around here. Those guys in Mississippi and Louisiana had some pictures.
    Might have gotten a little confused with a Blue Tail which a Marsh Rabbit, small and aggravating as hell to run. Opposite end of the spectrum, running and size wise, from. Canecutter.

Quote Originally Posted by SCDAWG View Post
    There are more of them down in MS and Ark. A friend in Arkansas who guided for ducks had a biology prof and some students come down from university in Little Rock and he took them out for the express purpose of studying the swamp rabbits. But we used to kill them occasionally around here back when I rabbit hunted a lot. They'll give a pack of dags hell. If they get back to the water you may as well pull the dogs cause the run is over. Suckers love some swamp water. I was wading a big swamp off Hard Labor creek after shooting summer ducks one morning. I got near a big log with grass growing on it and a big canecutter jumped out of the grass ran down the log full speed and literally ran across the water and turn while doing it to get to the bank about 15 yds away. It was like a flash that's still frozen in my mind. Dangdess thing I ever saw, before Ru Paul. I just stood there and stared while trying to figure out what I just saw. I knew they were good swimmers and would dive in a flooded logging truck rut when dogs were after them but I had no idea they could run on water. Their name says it all I guess, Swamp Rabbit (Sylvilagus aquaticus), Eastern Cottontail (Sylvilagus floridanus). Until I realized they were a sub species of cottontail I always thought they were the same rabbit that just took to the swamps. I knew they were bigger, especially their feet. Sort of like the darker colored deer that live in the swamps. But I didn't realize they were a different subspecies.
    The Elites don't fear the tall nails, government possesses both the will and the means to crush those folks. What the Elites do fear (or should fear) are the quiet men and women, with low profiles, hard hearts, long memories, and detailed target folders for action as they choose.

"I here repeat, & would willingly proclaim, my unmitigated hatred to Yankee rule—to all political, social and business connections with Yankees, & to the perfidious, malignant, & vile Yankee race."

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Might have gotten a little confused with a Blue Tail which a Marsh Rabbit, small and aggravating as hell to run. Opposite end of the spectrum, running and size wise, from. Canecutter.
    That's probably what he's thinking about. There are about 20 lagomorphs of the cottontail according to what I could find.

Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There are more of them down in MS and Ark. A friend in Arkansas who guided for ducks had a biology prof and some students come down from university in Little Rock and he took them out for the express purpose of studying the swamp rabbits. But we used to kill them occasionally around here back when I rabbit hunted a lot. They'll give a pack of dags hell. If they get back to the water you may as well pull the dogs cause the run is over. Suckers love some swamp water. I was wading a big swamp off Hard Labor creek after shooting summer ducks one morning. I got near a big log with grass growing on it and a big canecutter jumped out of the grass ran down the log full speed and literally ran across the water and turn while doing it to get to the bank about 15 yds away. It was like a flash that's still frozen in my mind. Dangdess thing I ever saw, before Ru Paul. I just stood there and stared while trying to figure out what I just saw. I knew they were good swimmers and would dive in a flooded logging truck rut when dogs were after them but I had no idea they could run on water. Their name says it all I guess, Swamp Rabbit (Sylvilagus aquaticus), Eastern Cottontail (Sylvilagus floridanus). Until I realized they were a sub species of cottontail I always thought they were the same rabbit that just took to the swamps. I knew they were bigger, especially their feet. Sort of like the darker colored deer that live in the swamps. But I didn't realize they were a different subspecies.
    Last time I went rabbit hunting we got on a swamp rabbit, seemed like it took all morning to kill that rascal
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Merg, you ever rabbit hunt with Brock (lawn mower man) in 96?
    Y'all might have even worked in the mill together
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...