Thread: Deer feeders

Default Deer feeders

I do not have any hogs or bears so my only issue is will they feel comfortable around them?

I want to put up 2-4 for next season. Will the does accept them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by led0321 View Post
    I do not have any hogs or bears ...
    YET. You dont have any hogs or bears yet.....
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Put them out as soon as this deer season is over. Fill them up and stay away from them as much as possible
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Build em, they will come.
    Low country redneck who moved north

Yes they will. Bucks will too...and squirrels, raccoons, hogs, turkeys!

Your biggest issue is going to be squirrels. Even with a predator guard on it, they will still be dropping corn from it every daylight hour. They will also chew to get inside. Took a while for deer to get use to mine but they love it now.

I've mostly switched over to directional feeders that are typically used as pond feeders. They are ground level and I don't have to climb up on my ATV tool box with heavy sacks of corn. I don't have pigs so I don't know how they do with them but I suspect they'd be hard to tip over and they could be strapped down pretty easily. Sweeney makes the best ones but they are sky high priced. Aquapro makes pretty good ones. With the solar panel, they rarely need a battery swap, as long as you can find a spot open enough for some sunlight. Deer at my place have never shown any reluctance to eat near feeders, although they are always on high alert anytime they find easy food.

I run 2 Moultrie at our club, when putting them in a new spot I start putting corn out for a couple weeks to get deer on the spot then set feeder up. Have feeder run around noon when deer aren't likely to be there. Once you have deer on the feeder you can adjust feeder timer to whenever you want. Personally I don't like the feeder going off at dusk when deer are likely to be feeding. I run mine for 5 seconds at 8am and 15 seconds at 4pm, works for me. Feeders are cheep, filling them isnt. I figure 50lbs per week per feeder, mine hold 4 bags, I fill them every 3-4 weeks. If they are empty for a week it usually takes another week to get deer back on them. And change the battery when you fill them.

Top pic, feeder is just out of frame on left side, buck main beam is broken, let him walk hoping to see him again next year
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Frank1; 12-18-2018 at 08:22 AM.

From my experience the bucks either will use them during the day or not. Everywhere I have used them as been different. Does don’t seem to care. Just set it up to run during the middle of the day. Also use a pulley system and hang it 20 feet in the air.

I've seen it go both ways. I've seen deer hammer them as soon as they were put up. And I've watched deer walk out of their way to avoid a new feeder. I can't explain the difference. But I would think the sooner you get them up the better.

I run both feeders with spinner plates and drop feeders. I only have pictures of bucks under the drop feeders during the day. Bucks check the spinner feeders but don't come in to feed during the day. Hunt the trails, not the feeder.

The drop feeders I use are www.quietfeeder.com. An actuator slides open and corn drops straight down. Pretty quietly. If you are handy, you could probably make one cheaper. I attach them to 55 gallon drums and hang them between two trees about 20 feet up. I run them for two seconds twice a day. The drawback is it makes it easy for bears and pigs to eat since the corn is in a pile below the feeder.

I'm thinking of running one of these to see how they work: https://www.amazon.com/Moultrie-Wild...ctional+feeder Anyone use one?

As others have stated it can take awhile, but once the deer get used to them it will be hard to just throw corn on the ground. My kids and I have had up to 13 does/fawns under a feeder at the same time this year.

I ordered two Moultrie deer elite or whatever they are called.

I will toss them up in the next few weeks and see how they do. I have to drive an hour to my in-laws so I figure they will pay for themselves in fuel pretty quick. More “importanter”, it won’t interrupt my fishing time...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk