Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Waterfowling

Default Waterfowling

What has it become?

I was unfortunate enough to experience one hell of a screwing Saturday morning. Picture yourself enjoying the sight of gadwalls and wigeon trying their hardest to join your decoy spread, but they are catching hell finishing because they other hunters on the river decide to crank up their rap music between 8 am to 10 am at various times, or the guys across the river with the wind in their faces hammering their mallard call like they are in Arkansas timber. It’s very aggravating. I use to be the one to cuss out someone else, but over the years I’ve learned that it doesn’t help. Maybe one of you was one of the other hunting parties out there that day. And to you, have some respect!
    867-5309

It's really become a people watching event. Even my tactics going out to where NOBODY has hunted in the past is failing. There are so many boats on the reservoirs around here it has gotten out of control. Before long I'll only be hunting when I drive to the property. I've never seen so many "hunters" as I have this year. When will the fad die?????????

It's the very reason so many don't venture out on public water anymore as you very well know.
    I am content shooting wood ducks on my own terms these days ...
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

I heard about y'all's morning, I know that your boy S. was some kind of pissed.
    \"Free your mind, your ass will follow\"

When will The Fad die you ask... Hopefully the change in Mallard limits will take care of some of this.
    You can't tell me that the instant gratification of a dad teaching his children that shooting released Mallards has not contributed to this issue.
    Last edited by Calibogue; 12-17-2018 at 07:46 AM.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

I haven't bought a duck stamp in 2 years because of things that. Last season when I didn't go broke the streak of 32 consecutive opening mornings.

If they're able to take away the instant gratification of tame ducks, it'll help. You've got people out there hunting for pictures.. I've grown almost completely numb over public water, it's not like a don't hunt it anymore..

On public water today you have to not Scout for ducks but Scout for somewhere you ain't got all the Jack legs fucking it all up! Not something I have time for ...

I hear you on the release birds but....These guys are hunting public lakes with NO birds around Charlotte and they are persistent. It's more than just the fad b/c they got to shoot some tamies once. This is afad where they are chasing very few public land birds. I Think HS may be onto it a bit in the fact they are hunting the next photo opp to post on social media. I don't believe that is the only reason they are posted up at all hours of the day on public water with zero birds but a part of the equation. It just sucks that it's the cool thing going for the last decade. Bird hunting is what I live for...I go deer hunting to catch up on my beauty rest.

I guess I am fortunate this season in that most of my landings have only had two or three trucks there each time I go. Although the flooding may be keeping some away.

i shot a black duck.

hope this helps
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I’m in Texas for this year, and hadn’t had to see another duck hunter until I tried a new lake on Sunday. I get set up, and around 6am several groups start calling (poorly mind you). One group called pretty much the entire time from 6-12. The night before, this lake was holding a large number of birds, many of them mallards. I ended up seeing only about 25 birds that morning, including a group of 15 +/- wood ducks. These “hunters” actively kept away any bird trying to work the lake. As I was packing up at the ramp two groups asked if I shot anything, and I said “hell no, that group of clowns that called all morning made sure of that”. Well turns out one of the two groups WAS that boat, and the guy gets all defensive. He tried to tell me “the birds were here man, they were just landing in the middle or passing the lake over”. Dude was calling at coots and corms. REALLY killed any drive I had for lake hunting here. Too many jack legs.
    Never confuse enthusiasm for capability

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    On public water today you have to not Scout for ducks but Scout for somewhere you ain't got all the Jack legs fucking it all up! Not something I have time for ...
    It’s the truth. Having 4 kids at home and a career, I don’t have time either. I’ve spent a lot of time and money in the past to narrow down where and when I need to be somewhere. Saturday morning I drew a bad hand unfortunately. Younger me would of rolled over to them and let them know that they are ruining the morning for everyone, but have learned over the years it only makes things worse.
    867-5309

It really is a damn shame, I have to limit myself to hunt before work one morning a week to somewhat escape the jack leg crowd that hunts public water next to my house. Weekends around here are a freaking zoo and I feel sorry for some of these so called duck hunters if they really consider what they're doing "duck hunting". Blaring rap music, 12 packs in the open, red boats with no camo cover, making piss poor mallard calls at wood ducks, taking 80 yard shots, 50 diver decoys in a wood duck hole 20 miles from the big water, setting up within killing distance of one another...and the list goes on
    Last edited by ecwooduck; 12-17-2018 at 08:30 AM.
    "some men are mere hunters, others are turkey hunters"-Archibald Rutledge

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    If they're able to take away the instant gratification of tame ducks, it'll help. You've got people out there hunting for pictures.. I've grown almost completely numb over public water, it's not like a don't hunt it anymore..
    I’ve had several game wardens tell me this. Not just ducks but deer too. They see someone else kill a nice buck, so they’ve gotta get a picture too and bum one out the window.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    i shot a black duck.

hope this helps
    Thanks!
    867-5309

Quote Originally Posted by Relentlous View Post
    Thanks!
    I saw the picture.

Peaks and valleys. Always peaks and valleys with this sport.

Get ready for the biggest peak of the season. School is out...

Quote Originally Posted by Relentlous View Post
    Thanks!
    This just for you, I know you like them

20181209_113357.jpg

But Delta says we are critically low on duck hunters and need to recruit more
    Last edited by MDman; 12-17-2018 at 09:04 AM.
    "To the sensitive gunner nothing can equal a bird and a dog and a gun in trilogy."
    George Bird Evans