Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Directv

I'm at 40 per month with DirectTV Now.
    It is like sling. Sports and local channels. It does have NFL network. It also has an integrated dvr.

I did a trial of it and HULU Live a few months ago. The hulu live jammed up during live tv when I tried using it on two TVs at the same time. It was not the internet speed either.
    Last edited by DJP; 12-17-2018 at 07:24 AM.

What internet speed do you need for the live streaming? I have fiber from AT&T and get 50mbps unless my son is on xbox, then i drop to 15-20.

Last I checked it is 99 mbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Meathook View Post
    What internet speed do you need for the live streaming? I have fiber from AT&T and get 50mbps unless my son is on xbox, then i drop to 15-20.
    Loaded question. If the only thing you're doing is streaming 15-20 mbps is plenty. If you have multiple people using the internet at the same time, you need more bandwidth to not see a decline in performance. In your case you should be fine to stream while you're son plays Xbox unless you're streaming 4k, then you might have issues.
    Last edited by Remy; 12-17-2018 at 08:53 AM.

I found out last night that ATT owns all of the following:

AT&T WatchTV Streaming
    Directv
    Directv Now
    Hulu

The best part of streaming services is how convenient it is to jump in and out of service. Football season ends, I cancel. Don't have to ship any equipment back or talk to some Indian man named John for 45 minutes to cancel.

You don't need 99 mbs to stream. I just ran a speed test and it shows me at 27.7 download speed and I can stream just fine.

We have spectrum in this area and I use their free app. I get all the local, basic cable channels, and some movie channels (Epic I think they are) all in HD. I think the app can only be used on mobile devices or samsung tvs...from what I found anyway. I have a samsung TV so roll on with that. For the other TVs I use an HD antenna and fire stick.

One thing to note, if you have your internet through your cable TV provider you can cancel your TV plan and run the coax directly into your TVs and get HD local channels and low definition basic cable. Unless your cable TV provider scrambles the TV signal, then that won't work for you.
    Last edited by Geetch; 12-17-2018 at 08:57 AM.

So what is your all in for internet, youtube, and whatever else is needed for sports channels?

I have AT&T internet with Directv through Costco in 4 rooms and all have genie boxes. My total bill with tax is $125.

I want to stress that there is more to watching live TV than streaming speed.

Like I said, I have 99 Mbs. I don't care how fast your internet is, the espn app will stutter and have trouble during a live big game (At lease it did last year).

Using the same internet supply, HULU live will pause and buffer if you run it on two TV simultaneously with two different channels. DirectTV now did not have that problem. Neither does Netflix (watching different shows on different TV's).

What I am saying is that some apps handle live tv better. From what I hear, Youtube does a good job. I think Direct TV Now does a good job as well.

Hulu seems needy and nerdy, sling is basically for grown-ups. That s*** works and it's easy, you can click on ESPN from month to month or any of the packages for month to month.

My download is 12.27 off the truck and can stream live football games. Just sayin
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by DRDUCK View Post
    My download is 12.27 off the truck and can stream live football games. Just sayin
    Explain that to me a little bit in detail DD. Cost, range, data cap, etc. I have it but have not explored it at all.

Like what you want to know? Most all GM cars and trucks have built in Wi-fi after about 2014 I think. 20 bucks a month unlimited. It is through ATT I think. Runs up 5 device's.
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Ahh ATT. That lets me out. Thanks.

Att don't work up in the Mtns. At least lake Lure area. Only one that works halfass in the hole on Murray with a metal roof to boot

Simply TV...$20 a month all the sports packages (NFL, NHL, MLB) all the ESPN channels, only downside is no local. You do get ABC, FOX, NBC, and CBS but its out of Buffalo. Haven't missed a football game I've wanted to watch.

So this YoutubeTV is pretty slick. Free trial, which I immediately canceled but it stays on for 7 days anyway. SEC SEC SEC Network ESPNs and a bunch of Foxsports Golf AMC etc. $40+$2tax vs. DTV $85 +$8tax

Might be a keeper. Will try Sling next and go from there...

Quote Originally Posted by bnicknad View Post
    Simply TV...$20 a month all the sports packages (NFL, NHL, MLB) all the ESPN channels, only downside is no local. You do get ABC, FOX, NBC, and CBS but its out of Buffalo. Haven't missed a football game I've wanted to watch.
    Local you can HD antenna

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sling. Tried to sign up. No luck. Go to customer service chat.

Charlize- What are you using to sign up?

Me- Chromebook

Charlize- Oh sorry. Sling does not allow Chromebook. Can you use something else?

Me- How about an iPhone?

Charlize- Sure! Just download Chrome on your iPhone and you are set.

Me- Nevermind.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Sling. Tried to sign up. No luck. Go to customer service chat.

Charlize- What are you using to sign up?

Me- Chromebook

Charlize- Oh sorry. Sling does not allow Chromebook. Can you use something else?

Me- How about an iPhone?

Charlize- Sure! Just download Chrome on your iPhone and you are set.

Me- Nevermind.
    Works great on a TV with a $20 Roku. Or an iPhone with the Sling app. Just saying...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold