Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Netflix raising prices across the board

Default Netflix raising prices across the board

Netflix is raising its prices for all 58 million US subscribers
    AP Updated: 10:35 AM EST Jan 15, 2019
    MICHAEL LIEDTKE
    SAN FRANCISCO —
    Netflix is raising its U.S. prices by 13 percent to 18 percent, its biggest increase since the company launched its streaming service 12 years ago.

Its most popular plan will see the largest hike, to $13 per month from $11. That option offers high-definition streaming on up to two different internet-connected devices simultaneously. Even at the higher price, that plan is still a few dollars cheaper than HBO, whose streaming service charges $15 per month.

The extra cash will help to pay for Netflix's huge investment in original shows and films and finance the heavy debt it has assumed to ward off rivals such as Amazon, Disney and AT&T.

This marks the fourth time that Netflix has raised its U.S. prices; the last hike came in late 2017 . But this is the first time that higher prices will hit all 58 million U.S. subscribers, the number Netflix reported at the end of September.

Previously, Netflix had continued to offer a basic, $8 per month streaming plan while raising rates on more comprehensive plans with better video quality and options to watch simultaneously on different devices.

This time, the price for the cheapest plan is going up to $9 per month. A premium plan offering ultra-high definition will jump to $16 per month from $14.

The new prices will immediately affect all new subscribers and then roll out to existing customers during the next three months. Customers in about 40 Latin America countries where Netflix bills in U.S. currency will also be affected, excepting key international markets such as Mexico and Brazil.

Netflix had nearly 79 million subscribers outside the U.S. as of September.

Higher prices could alienate subscribers and possibly even trigger a wave of cancellations. For instance, Netflix faced a huge backlash in 2011 when it unbundled video streaming from its older DVD-by-mail service, resulting in a 60 percent price increase for subscribers who wanted to keep both plans. Netflix lost 600,000 subscribers after that switch.

The company is now betting it can gradually raise its prices, bolstered by a string of acclaimed hits during that past five years that have included "House of Cards," ''Orange Is The New Black," ''Stranger Things," ''The Crown" and most recently, the film "Bird Box."

"We change pricing from time to time as we continue investing in great entertainment and improving the overall Netflix experience," the company said in a statement.

Consumers also have an increasing array of other streaming options .

Amazon offers a streaming service as part of its Prime shipping program for $13 per month, or $120 for an annual membership. Hulu sells an ad-free service for $12 per month. AT&T's WarnerMedia unit plans a broader streaming service this year centered on HBO. Walt Disney is gearing up to launch a streaming channel this year.

With Apple also widely expected to join the video-streaming fray, the competition for programming is enabling top directors, writers and actors to charge more for their talents. That has intensified financial pressure on Netflix, which hasn't been bringing in enough money to pay for all its programming and other business expenses.

The company burned through about $3 billion last year and is expecting to do so again this year. To offset the negative cash flow, Netflix has been borrowing heavily to pay for programming. The Los Gatos, California, company had accumulated nearly $12 billion in debt before borrowing another $2 billion in an October bond offering.

Concerns about the stiffening competition and Netflix's ability to sustain its current leadership in video streaming has caused the company's stock price to slide by 21 percent from its peak of $423.21 reached last June. The shares stood at $332.94 heading into Tuesday's trading session.

https://www.wyff4.com/article/netfli...ibers/25902686

If they keep going up they won't be around long term.

Quote Originally Posted by Remy View Post
    If they keep going up they won't be around long term.
    Bullshit. I don't even know what my plan costs, maybe $13-14 a month? I'd gladly pay double that

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    Bullshit. I don't even know what my plan costs, maybe $13-14 a month? I'd gladly pay double that
    I'm pretty sure you're in the minority of people that would pay $30 for Netflix. The attractiveness of Netflix (or any other streaming plan) is that it is way cheaper than traditional cable/satellite. If you subscribe to 2 streaming services and it ends up costing you $60 or more, it basically brings you back to the prices you tried to get away from.

I paid for directv for years and outside of football games I never had anything to watch. We watch Netflix A LOT and it’s worth every penny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Streaming isn't going away but cable/satellite are. They'll be fine as long as quality stays.

SOB’s best be getting new seasons of Ozark and Narcos our sooner.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I'd pay $30 just for Peaky Blinders.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Pa—-reach.

I need to get my wife spun up on the first two seasons.

Keep seeing that one, guess I need to watch it. Watched Frontier but it’s not something I can really get into.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I bailed on that one quickly as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    Keep seeing that one, guess I need to watch it. Watched Frontier but it’s not something I can really get into.
    Couple of decent looking wenches and barmaids with accents...what’s not to like?

And yes, Peaky Blinders is awesome.

I’m still pissed that they got ride of Friday Night Lights though....

Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Really? Ive tried 2 different times to watch it, and I cant get past the first episode its so boring. I should try again I guess? LOL
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

Peaky Blinders was great.
    Tried to get into season 3 of Frontier, but it hasn't hit me.
    I binged watched The Blacklist.

Netflix spent 8 billion dollars on new content last year. It will be a full time job keeping up with all the new shows. I would gladly pay 2x it’s cost now to have Netflix.

This season of House of Cards is terrible. Unwatchable from every aspect. Acting? terrible. Story/plot line? Awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    This season of House of Cards is terrible. Unwatchable from every aspect. Acting? terrible. Story/plot line? Awful.
    I've watched every season but the last ... Couldn't make myself watch it without Frank Underwood in it.

I only watch something on Netflix every month or two, my wife gets our money's worth though.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I fell out with that dumb shit when they got all homo at the "Sentinel" reunion. Like anybody needed reminding that people that went there switch hit.......

Bloodline was pretty awesome 'til the end. Then it just got weird. Ben Mendelson (?) is a great actor.

Quote Originally Posted by quack head 11 View Post
    Really? Ive tried 2 different times to watch it, and I cant get past the first episode its so boring. I should try again I guess? LOL
    A lot of dialogue. Gotta pay attention. It's more cerebral than most give it credit for.