Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coywolf

Default Coywolf

Attach8046_20181215_102300.jpg

Was chatting with ccleroy today and I pulled up this picture to show him...I thought I'd share it here.

My trapping partner and I caught this male Coywolf in Jan of '18 just outside the town of Johnston in Edgefield County...Yes, Coywolves are real, not like the elusive cougar that people keep seeing but never have proof of...This one was just shy of 80# and quite fiesty...Notice the hackles standing up on it's back
    ...This is a real picture, no trick photography...You can see we are sitting at the edge of the catch circle and as close as we would dare...For those of you that are familiar with trapping, that's a MB 550 on it's right foot for size comparison.

Although rare, there have been numerous documented cases of other Coywolves caught in SC...A couple have come off of SRS that weighed over 70#...SCDNR has done the DNA research on
    some of them and it traces back to Wolves from the Great Lakes region of North America...Those wolves occasionally
    interbred with coyotes creating the Coywolf crossbreed...The DNA migration trail brings them down through the Mississippi Valley and on to here...The interesting thing is how we can have a Coywolf here and have no local Wolves...The "biologist-who-get-paid-to-figure-this-stuff-out-and-are-supposed-to-be-smarter-than-me" tell us that there are recessive genes that may lay dormant for generations in coyotes, and when the right pair mates they could throw an offspring that receives a double dose of those genes...I would think that means that a litter of Coyote pups could be mostly normal but have 1 Coywolf pup in it...Mother Nature is freaky like that.

I also have heard tales of a Saluda County guy that had an exotic animal farm...Lions, tigers, bears, leopards and of course wolves...He ran into trouble with DHEC over permits and conditions and loaded up and moved to Colorado where regulations on that kind of exotic farming are more relaxed...Story goes the wolves "got away"..................

I think there was a guy in Saluda County years ago that had cougars and not the kind that hang out in bars trolling for young 'uns.

Quote Originally Posted by JBtflo View Post
    I think there was a guy in Saluda County years ago that had cougars and not the kind that hang out in bars trolling for young 'uns.
    Yep....Same guy probably.

I used to take him deer carcasses to feed with.
    Last edited by Swift Strike; 12-16-2018 at 06:20 AM.

What did y’all do with him?

That's cool as shit.

I, too, am curious what y'all did with it. Hopefully a bullet to the head, but wouldn't blame you for doing otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by BEAR View Post
    What did y’all do with him?
    He's in a running pen in low state...After he got tested, had a guy that specifically wanted him.

Don't know that if I had an enclosure that I would have wanted that in it, but to each his own...He brought Damn good money though......

I saw a Sasquatch the other day it was pretty cool to.

Got a pic but I’m not guna post it probably get blamed for photoshopping it.
    Last edited by Interceptor4; 12-16-2018 at 01:51 AM.

Damn I'd have loved to taxidermy that one. Amazing. I watched a doc on coywolves incredible trap. Thanks for sharing.
    Last edited by Rodney; 12-16-2018 at 07:35 AM.

Very cool!

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

Awesome stuff! We killed a coydog during turkey season that was brindle colored like a Plott, with a coyote body. Fascinating info, keep it coming!

Cool stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You say "after he got tested", was that for communicable disease before releasing in the pen or did you have it DNA tested. If DNA, what do the results detail?

Yeah, I’d of shot it and tossed the carcus in a ditch.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Can you explain how you get them off the trap into the pen? Is it a two man job, bag the head, catch pole?
    Low country redneck who moved north

We killed an adult timber wolf in Henderson County NC about 10 feet from the Greenville, SC county line the fall of 1997.

That may be where my black coyotes are coming from.

F83F9A75-0929-413E-B5DA-379206393ED1.jpeg

56lb Mountain Swamp Woof!!

Caught him by the throat, held him until diddy brought the hammer..
    Natural Born Killer Prostaff - Killing Tomorrow's Trophies Today...

TFC -"Be tough or get tough"

Conservation Permit Holder #5213

Yessir.....I like seeing those big ones..!!!

Truth be known on a more complicated level, in very short form, the entire Eastern Coyote "sub-species" all contain Wolf DNA...They really all contain a mix of Coyote, Wolf and Dog DNA's to differing extent...Those that we refer to as "Coywolf" are the ones that got a double dump of Wolf genes and just got bigger...Some studies show the "Coywolf" to be more adapted to woody habitat and preying on larger game such as deer...Studies also show they mature later and have a differing more "Wolf-like" vocal...Coywolf vocal will start off like a wolf howl and then change to a coyote yip...I've heard that while walking out from an evening deer hunt once, it'll make your skin crawl.....

There was some talk a few years ago about renaming the Eastern Coyote with a different name..."Coywolf" was one of the choices...Scientific community has not moved on that as of present that I know of.

We have killed a few large ones in Blackstock...over 50#. There is one now with paw prints larger than my 80# lab/shepherd. This is one killed 2 years ago that was bigger than a regular coyote.

coyote 2016.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Meathook; 12-16-2018 at 02:18 PM.