Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paris Mtn Tower for sale

Default Paris Mtn Tower for sale

You can own an 80-foot forestry tower in South Carolina, but there's a catch
    By Louis Casiano | Fox News

The Paris Mountain fire lookout tower is up for sale.

Christmas shoppers in South Carolina looking for a gift that towers above the rest may be in luck.

An 80-foot tall fire lookout tower in Paris Mountain State Park near Greenville is up for sale, but with a very specific catch: The buyer has 10 days to move the tons of steel that make up the 72-year-old structure from the date of sale, in this case, Monday. The removal would most likely cost much more than the purchase price.

“These items are for pickup only at the 35 Tower Rd in Greenville, South Carolina,” the state surplus auction site reads. “The winning bidder is responsible for the loading and removal of this property. No assistance available from the agency.”

“Pickup only” could require trucks to haul parts of the tower away to a new location and possibly a crane for bigger sections. Re-erecting it is another story.

David Owen, a property manager with the state Forestry Commission, couldn’t give an exact figure of the tower’s tonnage, the Post and Courier newspaper reported.

Instead of selling the steel for scrap, buyers usually bring the towers home and restore them on big plots of land.

By early Saturday, six bidders had the structure on their holiday wish list. The highest bid was $525, according to the auction site.

There's no question the tower's a fixer-upper.

“Inspection recommended,” according to a description of the structure. “The agency is reporting this item is in fair condition overall but needs repairs to the steps, windows and cab floor.”

In years past, winning bids for towers have ranged from $1,000 to $5,000, said David Owen, property manager for the state Forestry Commission.

“It’s quite a view from up there,” Owen said.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/south-car...with-big-catch

A decade or so late, Mack would have built something wild on that perch.

Buy it, get Pine Island to fix it up for you. Sit up there in your cape overlooking the pheasants in the river. Profit.

Hahaha

I just don't see how if you disposable money, and wanted to keep the upstate as your base that a person wouldn't jump on this.. The naming possibilities are even better.

If you have never been in one, there is more sq footage than they look. People take them and erect them much shorter for deerstands and all sorts of things.

Man, my bad. I took a quick glance and was wondering how they could auction off the land. *I need not to internet on the phone when I'm busy.
    Last edited by Highstrung; 12-15-2018 at 11:56 AM.

2 years ago I took one of these down in the Lowcountry and moved it 90 miles away and put it back up.

09602BB4-955F-43FC-BD3D-CD87A7DA2606.jpg
    Last edited by Steelin' Ducks; 12-15-2018 at 12:12 PM.

Darla Moore tells a story about buying one of these.

20181215_133326.jpg

Got one...100' Bethlehem...Plan on putting it back up in it's entirety when I clear cut at tract behind the house.

Keep us posted with pics as that is BADASS.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Leave it to SCDUCKS. Should have known a couple of you had already been down this road...

I smoked a joint in that tower about 20 yrs ago and had to wait about 2 hrs to climb down.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodiewacker82 View Post
    I smoked a joint in that tower about 20 yrs ago and had to wait about 2 hrs to climb down.
    Musta been the good shit
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Default Paris Mtn Tower for sale

This is at my uncles...

He enjoys it. Restored to original condition w old radios and all. I have climbed it a good bit but haven’t in years, just get tired of doing it. There is some sort of firetower association/group that he affiliates with as well. I was there a few months ago and he asked “if I wanted to carry a new window A/C unit to the top” and I declined.

I have also climbed another firetower outside of chas a lot, but not recently. I would bet the steps are close to rotten at this point. Having had access to these towers, I feel like the novelty quickly wears off. I would not be buying one, but to each their own.

Steelin, did you move this one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Islandguy85; 12-15-2018 at 03:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodiewacker82 View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steelin what was the ballpark figure on that project?
    Last edited by Fowlmouth30; 12-15-2018 at 03:49 PM.
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian" - Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Swift Strike View Post
    20181215_133326.jpg

Got one...100' Bethlehem...Plan on putting it back up in it's entirety when I clear cut at tract behind the house.
    When you are ready to put that tower back in the air and want some help, let me know. We can do it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Fowlmouth30 View Post
    Steelin what was the ballpark figure on that project?

Probably around $40k