Thread: Insulate my basement

Default Insulate my basement

So I’ve got a walkout basement. It’s got block walls that step down with the grade the width of the house. In the back it goes nearly to the ceiling(the joists to the floor system). As it steps down it has 2X6 walls above. The walls are made of the ZIP system green boards and has hardiplank over that.

I’ve read everything I can and am more confused as how to proceed than before I started. I’ve got my plumbing and electric run. It will be unfinished in the sense that I’m not putting up Sheetrock.

I was going to put up rigid foam on the block walls and batt on the 2x6 walls. But I’ve read that the foam needs to be covered by sheet rock for fire protection.

If I’m not going to sheet rock it can I just paint and seal the block and put up some batt insulation over the block wall and call it a day?

Furrow out the block wall with a 2x4 stud wall and run R-13 batt or R-15hd batts if you can find them.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Any reason to use faced r-13?

to keep the itchies off you if youre not hanging rock.

Seal the block or is that a wasted step?

I would definitely seal the block with some type of moisture blocking anti-microbial coating. Basements are mold incubators. I don’t know what your budget is, but if it were mine, I would seal the block, spray all with closed cell foam insulation, then paint the exposed foam and studs/joist.
    "Pain, or damage don't end the world — or despair, or fu**in' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, ......and give some back." -Al Swearingen

Quote Originally Posted by ManvsDuck View Post
    I would definitely seal the block with some type of moisture blocking anti-microbial coating. Basements are mold incubators. I don’t know what your budget is, but if it were mine, I would seal the block, spray all with closed cell foam insulation, then paint the exposed foam and studs/joist.
    Do you know of a company that does this kinda work? You seem rather informed?

I might have a guy
    "Pain, or damage don't end the world — or despair, or fu**in' beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man, ......and give some back." -Al Swearingen

I wish I could afford to do the spray foam. I’m going to have to do this but by bit and room by room as I have the extra cash.

But thanks everyone for the ideas.
    Last edited by CreekGeek; 12-15-2018 at 10:03 AM.

If you stub out the walls and install R13 Kraft faced insulation, DO NOT leave the kraft facing exposed. It is backed by a tar coating and will flare up in a fire like nobody’s business. I used to make the stuff and have seen paper/tar pit fires a few times. You don’t want that in your house.
    Last edited by WoodieSC; 12-15-2018 at 10:51 AM.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Good article and I was ‘assuming’ that the concrete blocks walls would be properly sealed first with something like Dri-Lok or whatever it’s called.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Has links to other articles with instructions on how to do various methods.

If your basement is heated, then the insulation is most likely there for sound dampening purposes. If this is the case you could take the insulation out but then everyone in the house could hear your loud workout tunes (the case at my place). I only took out the portion of insulation above my pullup bar because my head goes up between the floor joists during pullups. There should not be any problems with fibreglass dust.

You must like to work out

That's nice fo sho
    Quote Originally Posted by BOG View Post
    Tip:
    Although it is natural for you and seems to be out of your hands, try to suppress your natural inclination towards dumbassedness and do some research of your own.I wish you luck.
    Tekton Game Calls
    http://tektongamecalls.com

Sealing block on the inside is second priorty. You want to prevent the moisture from ever getting through the block period. Hopefully you had a good exterior waterproofing job done on the foundation. Make sure you divert all downspout water away and have positive drainage. All of this plus a dehumidifer will keep you in check. Also, fog the entire basement with concrobium. It's a good mold killer/preventer.
    The right to bear arms is the last form of defense against tyranny.

Holy thread resurrection Batman! But yes the outside was sealed very well and has good drainage. I did seal the block from the inside and am slowly insulating as I have the time and money.