Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DU bashing on DU app

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman#1 View Post
    Elaborate
    I think he is just saying flooding fields seems like a drain on water resources, for nothing other than a sport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Islandguy85 View Post
    I think he is just saying flooding fields seems like a drain on water resources, for nothing other than a sport.

Tell that to the farmer that’s making some extra cash. Also farmers have made great strides in water conservation in last 20-30 years and spending tons of their own money to do so
    80-20 Genaration

Tell that to the farmer that’s making some extra cash. Also farmers have made great strides in water conservation in last 20-30 years and spending tons of their own money to do so
    They have. Especially in the Mississippi delta and anywhere they flood or row irrigate (poor bastards) and even around here with low pressure nozzles and some other things. My point is there is x amount of water in aquifers and is flooding a field in Clarendon county South Carolina the best use of that resource? If you are pumping surface water from the lake or a river, you will return that water at the end of the season and the net effect is very little. If you pump it out of a well in SC the ability for that aquifer to recharge is nothin like the aquifers under the Mississippi delta which are drawn down by drought just like the river and about boiling out the ground when the river is high.
    My point is pumping 3-4 seasons worth of irrigation water or more on a field to shoot ducks is going to be bad in the end. I am amazed the dude from the state paper didn’t bring it up as it uses way more water per acre than any irrigation.
    cut\'em

I am not opposed to flooded fields and have hunted my fair share. I think we could all agree that the water could be better used for things other than flooding a corn field for a duck.

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    I am amazed the dude from the state paper didn’t bring it up as it uses way more water per acre than any irrigation.
    He was headed off at the pass...

The government had programs to pay people to pump runoff water into impoundments to recharge the aquafer. Even duck ponds pumped from Wells send a large percentage back to the aquafer.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    The government had programs to pay people to pump runoff water into impoundments to recharge the aquafer. Even duck ponds pumped from Wells send a large percentage back to the aquafer.

So if I pump 47 acrefeet out of the ground more than 2 or 3 acrefeet go back in the ground before I pull the plug in February and send 45+ acrefeet down the Santee?
    cut\'em

I would be interested in knowing how water drawn from deepwater wells in SC end up back through the bedrock to the aquifer 700 feet below? Someone here must know the hydrology. Sure some could easily seep to the level of water that home wells are drawn from and I am sure that it does.

So if I pump 47 acrefeet out of the ground more than 2 or 3 acrefeet go back in the ground before I pull the plug in February and send 45+ acrefeet down the Santee?
    You could leave it longer and let more soak in. Also figure in the foot of rain between Nov and hi March that it caught and kept from running off.

It's still a net loss but not as bad as one would think.

My impoundment is a net gain. We pump runoff water during rainy periods and it soaks back in for 4 months. We don't have a well.

Last edited by Catdaddy; 12-16-2018 at 08:09 AM.

You could leave it longer and let more soak in. Also figure in the foot of rain between Nov and hi March that it caught and kept from running off.

It's still a net loss but not as bad as one would think.

My impoundment is a net gain. We pump runoff water during rainy periods and it soaks back in for 4 months. We don't have a well.

Sure you could do that but no one does. Good on you for capturing and utilizing runoff. Your impoundment soil appreciates it.

I am sure some water does seep back but I would bet less than 1% but I am also not a hydrologist I just have a decent understanding of nature and irrigation and some common sense.
    cut\'em

I hold my water through February.
    I also set multiple FBR structures throughout the property years ago and retain water as long as possible in canal and drainage infrastructure solely for groundwater recharge.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    I hold my water through February.
    I also set multiple FBR structures throughout the property years ago and retain water as long as possible in canal and drainage infrastructure solely for groundwater recharge.
    Cali your wildlife knowledge is a little more refined than the average Joe. What’s going on around summerton is not sustainable.
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Are you sure that mud hole wasn't baited? Was it being hunted? Just a thought.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitman09 View Post
    His spot was ate out.
    I saw it too. One of the wilder things I've seen in some time. Down here many duck hunters go on the assumption that corn is where it's at. When weather turns cold and ducks need quick energy, yeah it is. But it ain't everything.

Ducks flew all afternoon right past perfectly unmolested ears of corn, with water levels just right for them to access it, to go feed on what appeared to be a weed ridden mud hole. Watched thousands of ducks drop right in just over a levee. And they knew where they were going. It's not like they gave first look at the corn then decided otherwise, they were going directly to the mud hole.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Cali your wildlife knowledge is a little more refined than the average Joe. What’s going on around summerton is not sustainable.
    Is that based on feeling or fact? I am not saying you are wrong but I would like to hear what a hydrologist thinks about it. I know that most if not all of the wells I have seen have to be capped when they are not being used because the water just comes out almost like the pump is on. If we have four or five years of extremely dry weather I suspect we could have problems but that is based on nothing more than my feelings. Everything changes but for the last 5 years SC biggest problem has been trying to get rid of all the water.

Sure you could do that but no one does. Good on you for capturing and utilizing runoff. Your impoundment soil appreciates it.

I am sure some water does seep back but I would bet less than 1% but I am also not a hydrologist I just have a decent understanding of nature and irrigation and some common sense.
    I do know over 50% goes somewhere by the end of March and April. Not sure what the breakdown is between replenishing the aquafer and evaporation.
    We don't plant until June and don't need to drain early.......so not everyone does as you say.

Since I'm not from around Summerton, in your opinion....what is not substainable around Summerton? Pumping duck ponds or Pivot irrigation from wells or both?

Last edited by Catdaddy; 12-17-2018 at 08:33 AM.

The warm water that started this discussion is being drawn from deep water aquifers that are in no way "recharged" by water seeping down to groundwater table levels. That whole point is being missed here.

Thanks for the illustration JAB

I am across the lake where we have been irrigated for a lot longer than the other side, there were a lot of sticks of pipe added in the past couple of years. It hasn't happened in Clarendon county yet but its coming.
    Santee to answer your question it is based on feeling directly coupled with common sense and seeing large scale irrigation all over the United States. Clarendon county is not anomaly.
    cut\'em

I do know over 50% goes somewhere by the end of March and April. Not sure what the breakdown is between replenishing the aquafer and evaporation.
    We don't plant until June and don't need to drain early.......so not everyone does as you say.

Since I'm not from around Summerton, in your opinion....what is not substainable around Summerton? Pumping duck ponds or Pivot irrigation from wells or both?

When you pump a duck pond from a well you use 3 +/- seasons worth of irrigation water in one year. We haven't been irrigating that long but there are already people drilling deeper wells and adding casing to wells because of water shortages. It doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure that out.

At least with irrigation you are providing food and fiber to the world not just sport to a few. Pump the lakes down two foot every winter that would be fine.
    cut\'em

Once those deep aquifers lower, the bedrock collapses and then all sorts of bad things start happening.

The best illustration is Tenochtitlan.

Built by the Aztec in central Mexico, it was one of the most impressive defensive cities on Earth. Water used in ways that we can hardly replicate today.

After the Spaniards took the city, Hernan Cortes decided to totally destroy it. He petitioned the king and had him send over a hydrologist. That guy murdered who knows how many thousands of Aztec slaves by forcing them to dig a tunnel down to the aquifer and then on out to lower ground level. The lake was drained and Cortes built Mexico City on top of Tenochtitlan.

Mexico City began collapsing at a rate of up to 15" per year. It has lowered 33 FEET since it was built. A building collapses, they just build again right on top of the old one. And, of course, they are running out of water...

The immediate threat here will be Farmers chasing duck dollars suddenly being unable to irrigate their crops as has happened across the West with deep well irrigation. They didn't dig their wells to find warm water for duck ponds, they drilled to find water in a dry climate...

I learned what little I know from many days spent with well drillers listening to what they were willing to share as I have always been fascinated. I would love to hear from someone with some real knowledge tell us what is really what...

So Cortes brought in his bad hombres?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft