Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DU bashing on DU app

Y'all need to get out more. All the ducks are in Kingstree. I saw them cross the road right before dark yesterday. Over a hundred mallards.

I bet Billy Burg knows about these. He's always getting the green.

Right where the cursor is.....flying from south to north across the highway.

Last edited by Catdaddy; 12-14-2018 at 12:58 PM.

Unless you want to start considering ringneck shooting duck hunting you chose wisely...

Before the ringneck aficionados get their panties in a wad, shooting them is fun. So is dove hunting which is essentially the same thing only add water and about $20k for your spot...

Doves taste better.. plus you get to shoot more, legally

Plenty of ducks get killed around here. Plenty. They come and go. South Carolina is a wintering state. Cold weather here for a couple days straight pushes our birds out. Like right now we had those days of cold weather early this week and a lot of ducks moved on and didn’t get replaced. At least on the coast. But like normal they will come again.
    867-5309

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    The "resource" doesn't care. I personally believe it is inevitable anyway as the planet continues to warm. Human nature is to hoard. You are not stopping that...
    truth and wisdom here.

I don't always agree with the logic of money = ducks, but it certainly increases the probability of a gunning encounter with them. Regulations or the lack there of wont "fix" the problem either. Ducks are gonna do what ducks do and weather's gonna do what it does. As for hunting anything other than woodies in SC, I do wish they got here a little sooner than Feb-March

They need to move our season back a month or so

I
    Quote Originally Posted by Relentlous View Post
    Facts! 5 degree wind chill had the pit we was hunting last January froze solid. My buddy’s cousin turned on the pump and we had open water within an hour!
    The ducks you shoot here I can’t believe you go anywhere else

Quote Originally Posted by thawhacker View Post
    I

The ducks you shoot here I can’t believe you go anywhere else
    My buddy’s cousin has unlimited access on some good land above reelfoot lake. I can’t resist a chance to kill some green heads!
    867-5309

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Are you sure that mud hole wasn't baited? Was it being hunted? Just a thought.
    No bait in the mud hole and no it’s not being hunted. There’s been no pressure from us either.
    \"If they don\'t hatch, they don\'t fly south\"

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitman09 View Post
    His spot was ate out.
    Not even close.
    \"If they don\'t hatch, they don\'t fly south\"

Quote Originally Posted by SCswampCAT View Post
    I quit giving a shit about ducks (other than your woody shoot) in SC about 3 years ago.. its nice.
    This. Y’all want ducks to shoot...invest your money in increasing the wood duck population. All the money you’ll save will pay for a nice OOS trip.
    Last edited by wskinner; 12-14-2018 at 04:38 PM.

I shoot ducks a DU projects every year. No complaints. You want ducks then wait till Minneapolis down around zero
    80-20 Genaration

Wood duck hunting is no more duck hunting than ringneck shooting.

But, I hear that some people have HUGGGE plans to return SC to the glory days of rice production thus shifting the tides of our wintering waterfowl migration!
    Make SC great again....
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

I often wonder about all the water pumped out of the ground to flood fields to shoot a duck. It is not sustainable in anyway. Pump it out of a river is a different animal as when you turn that water loose at the end of the season it goes right back where it was going. Arkansas’ water profile is a little different story than ours.
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    But, I hear that some people have HUGGGE plans to return SC to the glory days of rice production thus shifting the tides of our wintering waterfowl migration!
    Make SC great again....
    Lets say that a lazy old duck would fly South leaving behind ample flooded corn and water for rice. (Unlikely)

They believe that the people holding the ducks to the north now wouldn't just switch to rice themselves?

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Lets say that a lazy old duck would fly South leaving behind ample flooded corn and water for rice. (Unlikely)

They believe that the people holding the ducks to the north now wouldn't just switch to rice themselves?
    touche....
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

I often wonder about all the water pumped out of the ground to flood fields to shoot a duck. It is not sustainable in anyway. Pump it out of a river is a different animal as when you turn that water loose at the end of the season it goes right back where it was going. Arkansas’ water profile is a little different story than ours.
    cut\'em

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    Elaborate
    80-20 Genaration

I can show you areas in the West where they totally depleted their aquifers with well pumped irrigation. The old irri systems are just pushed up into the bushes and out of the way. It is a finite resource once X number of wells start flowing...