Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: DU bashing on DU app

Default DU bashing on DU app

I know a lot of y'all have been reading the reports on the DU migration app. Every other report someone is saying th ducks are being held up north in corn ponds and heated pools. What's y'all take on this. I do think it's bullshit that you can put water on corn and call that legal but you can't put corn in water. Flooded ag crops are holding ducks longer than natural food will. I sort of agree with the folks arguing against flooded crops. What say you????
    Last edited by Rabbitman09; 12-13-2018 at 03:47 PM.

Default US Temps

Not a lot of rocket science involved with why ducks aren't moving South. Definitely not a lot of rocket scientists on the DU migration app either.

It takes temperatures in the teens and single digits and a good snow cover sure doesn't hurt to help get the birds to move. There are millions of acres of open water and food up there still.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

My club “up north” has flooded AG crops and they don’t mean a thing if the ducks don’t want to be in said fields. I watched several thousand ducks land on the neighbor’s field in a flooded area that only had smartweed in it. It’s been too wet to plant that area so it’s just grown up and now flooded by seep water. I was sitting in a nice pit surrounded by 8 acres of corn in the middle of an 80 acre bean field that was cut two weeks ago by a combine that wasted as much as it harvested but they wanted to be in the mud hole. We don’t have anything planted in our timber but they liked it too this past week. Weather moves ducks, not rocket science. The weather did exactly what it was supposed to do and pushed the birds we were shooting two weeks ago and brought different birds in. And before some dumbass asks how I know that they were different birds, the teal were completely gone and we had a major increase in mallards. In short, ducks are going to do duck things no matter where they are or what’s planted.
    Last edited by DuvnDux; 12-13-2018 at 06:22 PM.
    \"If they don\'t hatch, they don\'t fly south\"

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Not a lot of rocket science involved with why ducks aren't moving South. Definitely not a lot of rocket scientists on the DU migration app either.

It takes temperatures in the teens and single digits and a good snow cover sure doesn't hurt to help get the birds to move. There are millions of acres of open water and food up there still.
    How old is the picture? Leaving arkansas now it only hit 27 on sunday and monday morning . It was 56 when we left 3 hrs ago

Too much open water in the northern states , need a deep freeze!

Default Current Weather

I might have hit the wrong date for temps. This should be current. Definitely not duck killing weather.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by DuvnDux View Post
    I watched several thousand ducks land on the neighbor’s field in a flooded area that only had smartweed in it.
    Are you sure that mud hole wasn't baited? Was it being hunted? Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    Are you sure that mud hole wasn't baited? Was it being hunted? Just a thought.
    His spot was ate out.

I agree, the migration reports on the app are a let down lately.

Anyone who has hunted South Carolina for long, should know that the same thing is happening to AR and LA. The ducks, and the money, have moved north. The same thing will happen to Missouri as well when the states north of them realize the true value of a mallard duck. Deep water wells have changed the game. No amount of cold will freeze 57 degree moving water...

I'm a bit ignorant on this so go easy but....JABIII if what you are saying is creating an "unfair advantage against the natural resource" in this case ducks do you think regulation is the answer? For example, do these deep water wells serve an agriculture purpose or only sporting purpose? Are the ducks being unfairly herded into these areas or is this just a simple pay to play environment? Are the birds truly being "short stopped" by manipulating the land or is this a change in their natural migration due to climate and things?

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Anyone who has hunted South Carolina for long, should know that the same thing is happening to AR and LA. The ducks, and the money, have moved north. The same thing will happen to Missouri as well when the states north of them realize the true value of a mallard duck. Deep water wells have changed the game. No amount of cold will freeze 57 degree moving water...
    This is something that needs addressing nationally. I for one don't like a lot of laws and legislation, but that's some bullshit that upper states are keeping ducks up there longer by flooding crops and keeping water open. The ducks are a national resource. Any practice slowing down or stopping the migratory pattern of wildlife should be banned.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitman09 View Post
    This is something that needs addressing nationally. I for one don't like a lot of laws and legislation, but that's some bullshit that upper states are keeping ducks up there longer by flooding crops and keeping water open. The ducks are a national resource. Any practice slowing down or stopping the migratory pattern of wildlife should be banned.
    Communist logic right here.
    DILLIGAF

Quote Originally Posted by Hogg View Post
    Communist logic right here.
    That's the same logic as why baiting is illegal. Bait gives someone an unfair advantage over a public resource.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Facts! 5 degree wind chill had the pit we was hunting last January froze solid. My buddy’s cousin turned on the pump and we had open water within an hour!
    867-5309

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitman09 View Post
    The ducks will be here sooner or later. As soon as the northern seasons go out. If you lived up there you would do the same thing don’t lie
    867-5309

When Louisiana, Arkansas, Mississippi, and etc get tired of loosing economic revenue because people quit coming bc the ducks left hopefully this issue will get addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Elcid_Fowler View Post
    I'm a bit ignorant on this so go easy but....JABIII if what you are saying is creating an "unfair advantage against the natural resource" .
    The "resource" doesn't care. I personally believe it is inevitable anyway as the planet continues to warm. Human nature is to hoard. You are not stopping that...

Quote Originally Posted by Relentlous View Post
    The ducks will be here sooner or later. As soon as the northern seasons go out. If you lived up there you would do the same thing don’t lie
    Oh no doubt! I would definitely do whatever I could legally if it gave me an advantage. If SC made baiting ducks legal tomorrow I would have an 18 wheeler in route to dump in my pond! Yankees keeping the birds from us and getting all the eco tourism dollars should make us all mad!

I quit giving a shit about ducks (other than your woody shoot) in SC about 3 years ago.. its nice.