Thread: Success Rate

Default Success Rate

Just out of curiosity..... How successful are yall with asking permission to hunt private land in South Carolina? Just for ducks not deer or anything else just ducks.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

All they can do is say no,just be respectful when asking.If they do let you hunt,its mostly going to be after deer season.But dont forget to offer them some ducks afterwards or throw some food,beer,or liquor their way.
    Last edited by Coot_Commander; 12-13-2018 at 02:57 PM.

I've only done it twice, and both times I was given permission. One person was an older lady, and I noticed her yard was in need of some care. So I offered to do that for her in return to hunt a little swamp behind her house. She let me hunt, but told me she had grandsons who would benefit from having to do some yard work in the fresh air. I think I was 12. Darlington County.

Another, I was a little surprised they let me. We heard a turkey gobbling behind a house across a county road in Lexington County. I think my buddy and I were 15 or 16, and had been hunting all morning. Put the shotguns in the truck and parked it at the very top of their long driveway. Walked up to their door real slow, knocked, and stepped back a little. It was a younger couple who had at least three young kids running around, and the wife answered holding a baby. We introduced ourselves and asked for permission. She said her husband has been hearing the turkeys at "specific location" and for us to be safe and enjoy ourselves. Also, we shouldn't shoot the horses they had penned up behind the house in the pasture. We didn't get on the turkeys, but we enjoyed exploring the property. Never saw the husband(who was at work that morning) until we were walking back to our truck a few hours later. We waved and he didn't even think twice about seeing us.

I think my youth was a big factor in all of this. A father/son combo might also get more yes's/permission.

To be fair, we snuck around more than we asked for permission in our youth.

Quote Originally Posted by Coot_Commander View Post
    All they can do is say no,just be respectful when asking.If they do let you hunt,its mostly going to be after deer season.But dont forget to offer them some ducks afterwards or throw some food,beer,or liquor their way.
    Have done this and even offered to help pay property taxes before.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Quote Originally Posted by Moonlight Hunter View Post
    I've only done it twice, and both times I was given permission. One person was an older lady, and I noticed her yard was in need of some care. So I offered to do that for her in return to hunt a little swamp behind her house. She let me hunt, but told me she had grandsons who would benefit from having to do some yard work in the fresh air. I think I was 12. Darlington County.

Another, I was a little surprised they let me. We heard a turkey gobbling behind a house across a county road in Lexington County. I think my buddy and I were 15 or 16, and had been hunting all morning. Put the shotguns in the truck and parked it at the very top of their long driveway. Walked up to their door real slow, knocked, and stepped back a little. It was a younger couple who had at least three young kids running around, and the wife answered holding a baby. We introduced ourselves and asked for permission. She said her husband has been hearing the turkeys at "specific location" and for us to be safe and enjoy ourselves. Also, we shouldn't shoot the horses they had penned up behind the house in the pasture. We didn't get on the turkeys, but we enjoyed exploring the property. Never saw the husband(who was at work that morning) until we were walking back to our truck a few hours later. We waved and he didn't even think twice about seeing us.

I think my youth was a big factor in all of this. A father/son combo might also get more yes's/permission.

To be fair, we snuck around more than we asked for permission in our youth.
    I will be sure to take note of that when my son gets a little older!

Take an infant.

Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.