Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: DNR Suggests New Season Dates and Bag limits- Legislative report

That’s cutting into dolphin season
    I don't belive in miracles, I rely on them.

Why doesn’t DNR just come out and say they don’t want us killing as many turkeys. Instead they spend millions of dollars that could’ve been spent on habitat, that they say they have no control over, on this garbage study. I had rather them cut the limit to one bird a person the next 3-5 years to let the population come back but still let us hunt in March, than to pull this crap. I love to turkey hunt as much as anyone, but I’ll be damn if I want to do it while sweating my balls off in May. Also here is something I thought of today. This will open the season to basically virgin birds who haven’t been messed with in the time period when they’re most susceptible. When they’re are no hens to breed and they’re looking for more. Seems counterproductive to me. All this in the name of science and hens aren’t being bred. Oh what about the first 20 years when we killed turkeys in March and the population kept growing. We are reaping the benifits of crappy management of the habitat and resource by DNR for a long time. Now we all have to pay. That’s my 2 cents. Now y’all talk crap about me and bash me all in the name of science

Onions+ motor oil+ pennies= dead turkeys.... why has no one caught on to this?
    2013 Spring Turkey Champs

Quote Originally Posted by youngun15 View Post
    Onions+ motor oil+ pennies= dead turkeys.... why has no one caught on to this?
    You can't fix that kinda stupid!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    You can't fix that kinda stupid!
    Maybe I am stupid and ignorant in your eyes because I fell for one prank. The fact I fell for that prank did make me stupid. But in a time where everyone is saying and bitching that the populations are falling, the populations of birds I hunt and mange are rising. So maybe I’m not so stupid and ignorant after all. Listen Cali I know you’re extremely bright and much smarter on this subject than most on this site. I know that. But I want the same thing you want, the eastern wild turkey to thrive in SC. Personal jabs and low blows is what sucks about this site. Maybe if we all realized we all want the same thing we would be better off. I’m sure you’re a good guy. I’ve heard a lot of good things about you from fellow members. I’m just voicing my concerns and displeasure with the matter. That is all. I’d enjoy sitting down and talking to you someday
    Last edited by PJ1012; 12-13-2018 at 08:00 PM.

1 per day, 5 bird limit, old season structure (3/15-5/1). No decoys on wma lands
    Last edited by trash2; 12-13-2018 at 08:09 PM.

Default DNR Suggests New Season Dates and Bag limits- Legislative report

Hmm
    Last edited by ccleroy; 12-13-2018 at 08:24 PM.
    2013 Spring Turkey Champs

PJ has targeted calibogue for passion.

Default DNR Suggests New Season Dates and Bag limits- Legislative report

Quote Originally Posted by PJ1012 View Post
    Why doesn’t DNR just come out and say they don’t want us killing as many turkeys. Instead they spend millions of dollars that could’ve been spent on habitat, that they say they have no control over, on this garbage study. I had rather them cut the limit to one bird a person the next 3-5 years to let the population come back but still let us hunt in March, than to pull this crap. I love to turkey hunt as much as anyone, but I’ll be damn if I want to do it while sweating my balls off in May. Also here is something I thought of today. This will open the season to basically virgin birds who haven’t been messed with in the time period when they’re most susceptible. When they’re are no hens to breed and they’re looking for more. Seems counterproductive to me. All this in the name of science and hens aren’t being bred. Oh what about the first 20 years when we killed turkeys in March and the population kept growing. We are reaping the benifits of crappy management of the habitat and resource by DNR for a long time. Now we all have to pay. That’s my 2 cents. Now y’all talk crap about me and bash me all in the name of science
    I think it’s because we are what they can control for the most part.....regarding previous years of early starts think of the many variables that come into play...now there are more turkey hunters in the woods, a truckload of more tactics making it easier to kill birds, loss of habitat, less predator control the list goes on and on. All the land I hunt is seeing increasing numbers, as are most with the circle I hunt with, these properties are treated differently than most. There are a lot of places I know that are struggling.
    Last edited by ccleroy; 12-13-2018 at 09:14 PM.

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

May is awful hot. I wouldn't mind seeing the season go back to April-May 1 and 3 total birds.

No strutter decoys would save an awful lot of turkeys lives.

Season opens too early is the main problem. In certain areas there are only so many male turkeys to breed the hens and killing them all off before the majority of the hens go to nest is not uncommon or hard to do

Quote Originally Posted by loud1 View Post
    No strutter decoys would save an awful lot of turkeys lives. problem. In certain areas there are only so many male turkeys to breed the hens and killing them all off before the majority of the hens go to nest is not uncommon or hard to do
    That's the primary concern from all the research.... The season opens too early therefore too many gobblers die before our hens are bred!
    There is only one way to control this and it's at the hunter level..... Not habitat.
    Last edited by Calibogue; 12-13-2018 at 09:37 PM.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Lot of opinion up in here. Scott you seem convinced this is gospel.

Im not saying thier wrong, I get it, there’s a problem but another thing. They said something like they radioed 140 something birds I think, yet only reported 80 something. How do they know that didn’t hurt the nesting because I can tell you what happened to the other radioed birds, they died. I know of a place that allowed it and it killed thier turkey pop. over half of what they caught died and the biologist found that ok.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Which one is higher? The percentage of people in this thread that never clicked on the link? Or the state reps who will never look at it before voting?

About equal.
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    Or the state reps who will never look at it before voting?

Truth

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

I know you're not going to mandate habitat change or trapping or whatever crazy ass ideas you can congure up on the private land level....hunters, to a degree (the lawful ones) is the only variable you can control.
    Changes must be made...
    The research is pretty damn solid and convincing and biologically, it makes sense!
    My population is steady but not what it was in the 90s.... Got plenty of birds but have excellent habitat and a very conservative harvest.
    I'm willing to take one on the chin and follow the lead of my friends and cohorts who have done the research to ensure all of SC has a huntable population of turkeys for our kids!

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    Which one is higher? The percentage of people in this thread that never clicked on the link? Or the state reps who will never look at it before voting?
    Have to pass it to find out what's in it right?

Atlesst for once they actually have some sound data to follow, thsts if they read it