Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: DNR Suggests New Season Dates and Bag limits- Legislative report

Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber2 View Post
    Hunters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LOL...only a small percentage of hunters actually pose a significant threat to turkeys. If you take away strutting decoys, that number is reduced even further.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

Maybe so but 18k statewide is a significant. But I understand gobblers are expendable after breeding.

I heard a wet... something, can't remember if it was fall or spring, is good for turkey reproduction. Is that true?

Not floods, but a good amount of rain at some point.

I skimmed over most of the pages after the fi4st two. But are we really proposing changing turkey dates off of a study of 88 birds statewide???? 88?? I’d like to know the answer to that. But I dare say there are waaaaaay more people planting food plots etc on land now than there were in late 80s early 90s, statewide at least. I think predators and habitat loss are the main issue. At least around my family’s home place a shit ton of cutting has taken place since 92. Turkeys have moved on. Where I used to be able to easily strike several birds a day back then, on only about 650 acres. There’s more planting around there now. But No more or less hunting pressure. I can’t see how hogs and coyotes aren’t a big issue. If the limit is correct for the area you’re hunting, the start date shouldn’t have a dramatic impact. Hell if that’s the issue start the season the third week of April and run to May 15. If you have a lot of turkeys and can’t kill a bird later in the season after many hens are on he nest, the limit and start dates aren’t your problem. GA runs from about end of third week of Mar to May 15.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Hopefully I will kill 3 gobblers the first week and be done with it.

Go to allowing only 1 bird per week the first 2 weeks.........

Quote Originally Posted by Gut_Pile View Post
    I would tend to agree that water has a lot to do with it, but it seems we had a pretty incredible hatch this year as well as poults that survived into the fall. And this year has been as wet as any
    This past Spring we did not see the huge rain events that carry on for days and days at a time. Yes it rained a good bit, but the rain events did not last as long and came later on in May this past season. As I recall we only had one rain event that lasted over two days, and we didn't get the huge monsoon rains that fall for hours in one area dropping 8 inches of rain and flooding out the woods, like we have consistently the past 4-5 Springs prior. Which have also fallen at the worst times possible, right around late April / Early May.

A few Springs ago my buddy had three hens with 10-12 poults each that would feed in his front pasture about everyday. He kept close eye on them for me. After each big rain event I'd call him and it was always bad news. "Sorry buddy, they are down to 5-6 now". Another big rain and "Sorry buddy, 2-3 now".... until they all had 0...

This Spring was much better, and it is showing.
    Last edited by M2Field; 02-01-2019 at 09:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by M2Field View Post
    This past Spring we did not see the huge rain events that carry on for days and days at a time. Yes it rained a good bit, but the rain events did not last as long and came later on in May this past season. As I recall we only had one rain event that lasted over two days, and we didn't get the huge monsoon rains that fall for hours in one area dropping 8 inches of rain and flooding out the woods, like we have consistently the past 4-5 Springs prior. Which have also fallen at the worst times possible, right around late April / Early May.

A few Springs ago my buddy had three hens with 10-12 poults each that would feed in his front pasture about everyday. He kept close eye on them for me. After each big rain event I'd call him and it was always bad news. "Sorry buddy, they are down to 5-6 now". Another big rain and "Sorry buddy, 2-3 now".... until they all had 0...

This Spring was much better, and it is showing.
    April showers bring May flowers.......

Quote Originally Posted by BRR View Post
    April showers bring May flowers.......
    Showers is the key, not torrential rains.

This sounds good to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    April 10 to May 15 (36 days) Youth Day: Saturday prior to April 10

Bag Limit: 3 gobblers per season, no more than 2 per day

Quote Originally Posted by JBK View Post
    What's the number one predator of turkeys?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigtimber2 View Post
    Hunters.

No, no, no. It's 3-5% of Hunters. Read every harvest report dating back 20 years. LOL!

Don't care what start dates are in the low state but March dates are too early for all areas of upstate. Beyond that I just hope I am lucky enough to kill one more.
    Last edited by Spur hunter; 02-06-2019 at 03:38 PM.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

Quote Originally Posted by Spur hunter View Post
    Don't care what start dates are in the low state but March dates are too early for all areas of upstate. Beyond that I just hope I am lucky enough to kill one more.
    Had that and upstat guy complained about not opening when Lowcountry did. Go figure
    80-20 Genaration

Not me. I was good with April 1-May 1 and 5 tags for 30+ years. This whole thing has been like trying to sight a rifle in, shooting it hot and making adjustments to everything between shots. Or will be.
    Last edited by Spur hunter; 02-06-2019 at 05:44 PM.
    Worship the LORD, not HIS creation.

"No self respecting turkey hunter would pay $5 for a call that makes a good sound when he can buy a custom call for $80 and get the same sound."-NWiles

I'm good with April 1-May 1 myself.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

It's kinda like the change in spottail slots and creel limit.
    Upstate complained they couldn't keep enough fish when they came to the coast....now the population is dwindling!
    Go figure....
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by Longbeard Exterminator View Post
    Need to turn in 5 yotes or foxes or bobcats also 37 coons and opossum's before earning a turkey tag.
    Most people that trap just make them somebody else’s problem
    "And ignoring people on here....that's like being home schooled. Just say you're not ready to face life." Highstrung