Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: yamaha 25 help

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    Perhaps you don't have the time right shim for the clutch dog to properly engage. So when you replaced the prop shaft I assume you had to remove the gear carrier. in the process. And so the forward gear is not in the same position is was in prior to the shaft replacement. So it needs to be shimmed with one of a different thickness.
    That’s not really how that works. Reverse gear is the one in the carrier also, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by Gone South View Post
    That’s not really how that works. Reverse gear is the one in the carrier also, btw.
    Ah... thought the forward gear was on the carrier.

And you're right. The shims adjust where the pinion gear engages the forward/reverse gears.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 12-11-2018 at 06:24 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

See below from my 50 service manual. Not sure if it is the same or this helps but hope it does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stainless prop in reverse hitting a stump wasnt awfuly bent but enogh to make me worry. there wer 2 shims in the gear carrier that i thought i put back in the right spot but that is a major possibility i didnt think of
    “My names Thrane Tuck an I don’t give a fuck” - T-bone

i never saw a f mark but that will definently give me somthing to look for

Coulda just straightened it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."

i did. willy.

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    Coulda just straightened it.

This honestly the dumbest shit I've ever seen.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Quote Originally Posted by Nstuck View Post
    i did. willy.
    I'm confused. Which ain't saying much... You said replaced it? So you pulled it, straightened it, then replaced it?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by tman View Post
    Mind elaborating on why you think it's dumb?

I've done it on a Yamaha 50 that had a slightly bent shaft and found it to be quite practical. Did the cheat method to change the seals around the shaft afterwards. Helluva lot less involved than pulling the gear carrier.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Is it less involved? Sure it is. But I dont really cherish the idea of using a 3 ton floor jack to straighten out a prop shaft measured in the thousandths of an inch. A 25hp lower unit is not very sturdy to brace against.

On a L/U that isn't salty, pulling a prop shaft isn't that complicated. If you put everything back in the way it came, there should be no issues with shims either. Also, hes already pulled apart the gearcase so it honestly a moot point.

But my fear would be that you're gonna tear your crap up, and make a $50 problem become a lot bigger issue, just because youre trying to save yourself a little bit of time.

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Nstuck, did you straighten it yourself or have someone do it?

I pulled it straightened it and put it back in

Yes I straightened it my self

Good for you

Indeed.

I agree that the method shown in the video is not perfect at straightening them, but I got it within a few thousandths. It's a compromise either way. If you pull the carrier then you run the risk of dealing with stuff like what Nstuck has going on. I'm sure you can agree things don't always go back together the way they came apart.

Way I look at it is I'm willing to take my chances at straightening it, even on a 25 and if it don't work or snaps the shaft then I'm pulling the gear carrier anyway. So you got nothing to lose trying it first.

Not to mention there's lots of folks that wouldn't even try their hand at pulling the gear carrier but can operate a small jack.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by tman View Post
    agreed, lucky he didn't bust the cavitation plate off or cook a seal with the torch

if i was gonna pay somone to do it i woulda just orderd one offline

On a OOS hunt, I bent one back into running condition with a 5ft piece of pipe to finish out the week hunting!
    Low country redneck who moved north

That's what I'm talking about mudflat.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]