Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best way to get to North Inlet

Default Best way to get to North Inlet

I’ve got a buddy in Myrtle. He wants to take a trip down to North Inlet of Winyah.. we always stay more north.. is anyone familiar with the launches around.. I’m not sure if it is easier to put in at Pawleys Island boat ramp and go south through the ocean, or put in at the Georgetown ramp and go through Winyah Bay?

You can't get out of Pawleys into the ocean safely and with the way the weather's been you'd be a fool to try and run to NI that way even if you could. Unless you can get a pass into Debordeu, you'll need to put in at SIF or the Ballpark and run across to Muddy Bay. I'd find someone who has been through there a bit or go a low tide during the daylight to get your route.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

That is a great way to end up dead.

Ride with someone that knows what they are doing, knows where they are going and HOW to get there
    A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user.

Theodore Roosevelt; 26th president of US (1858 - 1919)

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity” Sigmund Freud

Running to NI isn't for the faint of heart, if you're going in blind then i'd suggest having plenty of day light to ride out the tide while you're sitting high and dry on an oyster bed
    "some men are mere hunters, others are turkey hunters"-Archibald Rutledge

If you have never done it I’d suggest you try somewhere else. If you do decide to go for it go through Jones creek and stay away from No Mans. Fishing is slow in here right now and not sure it’s worth sitting high and dry for.

Absolutely don’t try to come in through the ocean as it’s dangerous on anything but a slick calm day
    Last edited by bitesize; 12-10-2018 at 09:50 AM.

Dang. Y’all are making me nervous now. Why so rough? I mean I am in a 21ft cc deep fishing boat. We hit the reefs and are in the ocean all the time.

What size boat? Low tide and take your time, learning that area will cost you some time on some sand bars. Take plenty of warm clothes, if you get stuck in the winter and are not positive you can get the boat off, don't get in the water if you don't have extra clothes/boots. 40degrees and cold water isn't fun and can be dangerous quickly. It is not a question of if, but when you get stuck.

Good luck.

That super dangerous North Inlet, lol...

21ft Mako cc

Oh, you will definitely not survive the treacherous North Inlet in any vessel short of 100 feet.

Hahaha guess I’ll get one of those helicopter guides in Myrtle beach to drop me off and come get us a few hours later.

Quote Originally Posted by duckz View Post
    Dang. Y’all are making me nervous now. Why so rough? I mean I am in a 21ft cc deep fishing boat. We hit the reefs and are in the ocean all the time.
    Thought you were in a jon boat. You can come in through the ocean but you aren’t getting out at PI. Put in a SIF or the Ballpark, run out Winyah and cut back in at the nun buoy. Run up the beach to NI.
    Last edited by Saltydog235; 12-10-2018 at 10:50 AM.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Wed/Thurs not bad in ocean. Friday in the ocean trying to run NI would be awful. Fri- 6ft on 6 sec period, blowing 25kts.

No thanks.

If you run in the front watch out for the Harvest Moon.

Come in through the ocean. The inlet is a little tricky once you get in it as there is a large shallow flat on the right side as you are coming into the inlet. I go in and out of it in a 16 ft express every year.
    Last edited by Jay; 12-10-2018 at 11:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Oh, you will definitely not survive the treacherous North Inlet in any vessel short of 100 feet.
    If it’s not calm and you cant tell the difference between the channel and the bars it can be tricky not knowing what you are doing. Especially with the water cold it’s nothing to fuck with! I’m referring to running in from the ocean- if you want to spend a few hours on some oysters in the creeks have at it
    Last edited by bitesize; 12-10-2018 at 11:16 AM.

Once you get inside you got a bar at the mouth of sixty bass and one at Jones. You can go right to old man or town Creek and catch fish there but again it’s been slow! Stay in winyah bay and catch trout at the shell banks-

A regular Columbia Bar to hear y'all tell it...

Yea we might just wait till the summer and follow others out and see what’s what. I don’t feel like getting stuck in the winter. Thanks for good advice!

Put in at South Island, run out to the bay and head east. When the tree line on South Island ends take a left hand turn and head across bay, there’s a small group of islands on the other side of the channel that divide it and Mud Bay, theres a marrow deep water channel between two islands that you can run through, head straight across Mud Bay to Jones creek, when you are in Mud Bay do not slow down at all! In Jones stay to the outside on all corners except for the first corner/intersection (which will be Little Jones) at that intersection you need to damn near be in the marsh on the left side. Whatever you do do not follow crab traps in NI!

All of that said I prefer putting in at the ball park and running across Winyah and up the back channel of Mud Bay into No Mans Friend. In my opinion no mans friend is much easier to run!

For the record I am in North Inlet just about every weekend during the summer, was born and raised going out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.