Thread: Merc 25

Default Merc 25

I'm replacing the seals on my lower unit, and can't for the life of me figure out how to remove the shift rod from the lower unit. Have everything apart and ready to put back together except this. Anyone have a PDF service manual? 2001 25M

I got that part. I mean actually remove the rod from the LU. Seems like it should pull right out, but it's not with moderate force. I don't want to damage anything.

Bump

You have to remove the hold down plate

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

I have an 84 Mercury 25HD. The shift shaft is easily loosened by a screw at the top of the shaft at the powerhead. OMC 25-30 HP products typically connect their shift shafts near the foot. If you are looking there you are looking in the wrong place on the Mercury. When you remove the engine cowling, you can see it. Small stainless flat head screw IIRC.
    Last edited by CWPINST; 12-11-2018 at 04:23 PM.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

Nah, this is different. Part 30-42 was what I needed to remove. The seal was all mud-welded in there. Just had to be a man about it and it came out.

MTY0NjM1-b38eae8b.jpg