Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The GPS collar story...

Nice gesture.

Coyote America: A Natural and Supernatural History https://www.amazon.com/dp/0465093728..._gGzdCb3XKZN0Z

Great read.

Quote Originally Posted by Swift Strike View Post
    Well, it took some digging but I found it...

That coyote was known as SC37M...It was a male, aged at just over 9 mo old and weighed 32# at first capture...It was trapped by Mark June on Jan 16, 2016 between Johnston and Ridge Spring SC...I had earlier stated that coyote came from Western Saluda County, but in fact it was Eastern Edgefield County...The capture location is close to the County Line...Upon release with GPS collar it made it's way N into Greenwood County before deciding to go basically S to the Walterboro area...It set up a home base around Walterboro as evident by the amount of locator pings in that area...Not sure of the exact date of recapture, but approx 2 yrs later it was trapped again by a fellow by the name of "Will" close to Walterboro...At that time it was discovered that half of the Coyote's bottom jaw was missing...This injury was not present at time of original capture...Biologists deduced the injury was from a rifle bullet...The injury was totally healed and did not appear to be hindering Coyote's survival...2nd recapture weight is not recorded...Data sheet shows that the trapper released the coyote back into the wild minus the GPS collar as a gesture of compassion for it's contribution to research.
    probably released in a fox pen

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    probably released in a fox pen
    Negative........

What part of McCormick Co.?

Very interesting. Never would have imagined that they would travel that far.

As for releasing an animal you catch, the Judas technique for killing animals is pure genius and sadistic at the same thing. I like it. Not the same thing you are doing, but it's pretty close.

Quote Originally Posted by SCswampCAT View Post
    What part of McCormick Co.?
    Eden Hall Plantation on 221.

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post

As for releasing an animal you catch, the Judas technique for killing animals is pure genius and sadistic at the same thing. I like it. Not the same thing you are doing, but it's pretty close.
    Of all the things I've done and been involved in, I had never heard of this until I did the Google on what you posted...Very interesting...Actually the way I'm going back through the coyote data we've gathered had led me to go back to the "Core Areas" that the GPS locator said the coyote spent the majority of their "Home" time in, and saturate it with traps...It works.

Thanks for sharing that....

Is that data available online for us common folks to look at or has it not been released?
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

Quote Originally Posted by Beauregard View Post
    I've heard a theory that removing resident coyotes from a limited area actually causes a short-term increase in the local population. The removed resident animals had established and defended territories. Many new colonizers move in and take some time to establish their own territories, running off interlopers and the population eventually settles back down to where it was prior to removal.

With continued removal, the population is always in the "new colonizer" phase with a surplus of animals fighting for their own territory.
    In a way the theory makes a lot of sense. If, a large portion of a population has been removed, then there is less competition for food etc.
    making survival easier.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck the Duck Slayer View Post
    Is that data available online for us common folks to look at or has it not been released?
    Unfortunately it's not...I do, however, have a link to the thesis that was done concerning the study...It was done by a
    female graduate student from UGA...It's many pages long and contains lots of metric data, but interesting non the less...I have no clue how to link it to this website, if somebody smarter than me could help me link it to here I have permission from the author to share it.

Quote Originally Posted by LabLuvR View Post
    In a way the theory makes a lot of sense. If, a large portion of a population has been removed, then there is less competition for food etc.
    making survival easier.
    This is partially based in fact...That's why the only presently known deterrent to a coyote population is continued trapping, yr after yr after yr.

Either do that, or just sit back and enjoy....

Quote Originally Posted by Swift Strike View Post
    Unfortunately the study...It was done by a
    female graduate student from UGA...
    I would trust a 19 year old in the wildlife biology department at UGA before I would trust any and everyone at SCDNR. Hard learned lessons of many a year...

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post

Please enlighten us to this technique

Google it. Fairly simple. Catch, gps collar, see where animal goes, kill the whole lot of them.

Work with pigs, real good...
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

I thought I read somewhere that the coyotes DNR caught and released were sterilized. Is that the case here?

Quote Originally Posted by fro View Post
    Google it. Fairly simple. Catch, gps collar, see where animal goes, kill the whole lot of them.

I think they try not to shoot the one with the tracking device.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by fro View Post

Yeap. Just like Judas did with the solidiers in the garden of gethsamene.

Quote Originally Posted by Pcole View Post
    I thought I read somewhere that the coyotes DNR caught and released were sterilized. Is that the case here?
    I think that was true on the coyotes that were released for the Lifetime License if you harvest an ear tagged one, or maybe they were at least vaccinated...I wasn't involved with that one.

The studies done with the GPS collars were done by releasing the coyote back as natural as possible so as not to interfere with the normal process of life so the data would be as actual as possible...Same ol' nasty, flea-bitten, ticked up, smelly coyote turned loose.

Very interesting. This Edgefield to Walterboro individual may have dispersed because it was a subadult male.

But what I'm reading is that there is no consistency in ages and genders as far as those that do disperse long distances?

The missing lower jaw? There is a surgical procedure called a hemimandibulectomy where the veterinary surgeon removes half of the lower jaw. In real life, I've seen a bullet accomplish the same on dog patients. These animals have an amazing capacity for healing.
    Hunting outside the box

Along the same lines, the city of Laurens brought in a trapper last year because of so many complaints of death or injury to pets. In a very short period of time he trapped 14 coyotes, 4 raccoons, a fox or two and one housecat within city limits.

But from my understanding of coyote biology, this will only make them breed faster and better.
    Hunting outside the box