Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to keep tripod feeders from being

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default How to keep tripod feeders from being

This season has run me and my hunting partner ragged putting out corn due to low acorn crop I guess. Never seen deer devour corn like this before. One track he and I hunt together may not get hunted but 1 time a week and naturally if you put corn out it is gone before you go back. 45 min one way trip from my house to put out corn not really possible.

We have used cob corn for last 3-4 yrs but looking at going to tripod feeders for next season

I have been told hogs will turn them over even if staked isn’t eh ground and one track of land I hunt has plenty of hogs. Another track he and I hunt together we never see any hog sign much at all.

Thinking the tripod feeders will be a little more consistent with keeping corn out

All tracks have nice food plots as well

Short hog panels. Fence them in. Deer will step over panels to feed.

I need coon repelant

Hog panels around the spin area. Deer will jump them no problems.

And it's a great place to find shed antlers
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Better get them out right after the season and let them run all year
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Never had a hog knock down a tripod feeder.

I did see 2th knock one down though.

Close enough.

And I hate feeder maintenance.
    Last edited by JOHNSON; 12-07-2018 at 04:17 PM. Reason: Dirty corn

Quote Originally Posted by JOHNSON View Post
    Never had a hog knock down a tripod feeder.

I did see 2th knock one down though.

Close enough.

And I hate feeder maintenance.
    agreed
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I have had them knocked over several times. I put them right up against trees and strap the drum of the feeder to the tree with a ratchet strap.

A good friend of mine got tired of driving two hours just to find out that his feeders haven't worked in weeks or hogs had turned them over. His solution was to stop using junk Moultrie and WildGame feeders and start building his own. He uses steel drums and heavy duty conduit for the legs. He also makes flat feet for the legs with holes in them. He drives rebar through the holes. This stops the hogs from breaking the legs and turning over the feeders. He uses SpinTech 12v feeders that screw up and down. This took care of his coon and squirrel problems. It was a lot more work, but they are working whenever he gets there.

Maybe hang the feeders? A buddy of mine used some angle iron and built a few hangers. He strapped them to a tree and had a pulley on the end. Used a boat winch to lower it down to service it. Was held onto the tree y ratchet straps and worked great! 15442205009351714225148468926728.jpg please excuse the crude drawing but it gives you an idea.
    every expert was once a beginner

We have one like that too Troy. Coons and squirrels love it. One coon will swing from it to shake the corn and the rest of them eat with the pigs or deer.
    Last edited by Meathook; 12-07-2018 at 05:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mrtroy4man View Post
    Maybe hang the feeders? A buddy of mine used some angle iron and built a few hangers. He strapped them to a tree and had a pulley on the end. Used a boat winch to lower it down to service it. Was held onto the tree y ratchet straps and worked great! 15442205009351714225148468926728.jpg please excuse the crude drawing but it gives you an idea.
    This is a squirrel and raccoons dream.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

We have cemented feet in cinder blocks and buried them and hogs have dug them up to turn the feeder over. Well really just one hog that is now dead. he destroyed 3 tripods before we could finally get him. Before him and since we have not had a problem with just rebar through the feet.

I tried using one this year for the same reason. Coons and turkeys loved it.

Hog panels and Tposts will keep the pigs out. The bears are another story altogether...

35412A85-51A0-4605-9777-6E4EC275744A.jpg

That pipe is 3’, most of the others are 4’. Hold about 350# of corn. Bury legs 2’ in ground. Hogs will eat but have yet to tear one up, same with bears.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    35412A85-51A0-4605-9777-6E4EC275744A.jpg

That pipe is 3’, most of the others are 4’. Hold about 350# of corn. Bury legs 2’ in ground. Hogs will eat but have yet to tear one up, same with bears.
    Dang, I didn't know 8pts came in a size small. Those gravity feeders are nice though, used to have some similar to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    Dang, I didn't know 8pts came in a size small. Those gravity feeders are nice though, used to have some similar to that.
    Fat bastard. 198#, huge body for this place and he was a 9. Plus it was 6:15am and the gun grabbed my hand or I could have been giving it a loving caress.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

It doesn’t take long for deer to get used to them either. I have deer coming through a gate into a hog trap to eat under a tripod feeder within a few days of setting up the trap. Make sure to buy a few extra 6 volt batteries so you can swap them out periodically. Much easier to keep fresh batteries in the truck rather than bringing a dead battery home to charge then going back just to put it in.
    U serious Clark?