Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to keep tripod feeders from being

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    Dang, I didn't know 8pts came in a size small. Those gravity feeders are nice though, used to have some similar to that.
    Fat bastard. 198#, huge body for this place and he was a 9. Plus it was 6:15am and the gun grabbed my hand or I could have been giving it a loving caress.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Replace the legs with 5’ T post and you won’t have any issues. I use tripod feeders for deer as well as running them in my Jager pro hog traps. The flimsy legs from the manufacturer will bend due to hogs bumping them and eventually let the feeder fall over. The T post eliminated this problem. Also the T post fit right into the base of the feeder just like the manufactured legs do.
    U serious Clark?

It doesn’t take long for deer to get used to them either. I have deer coming through a gate into a hog trap to eat under a tripod feeder within a few days of setting up the trap. Make sure to buy a few extra 6 volt batteries so you can swap them out periodically. Much easier to keep fresh batteries in the truck rather than bringing a dead battery home to charge then going back just to put it in.
    U serious Clark?

Quote Originally Posted by JOHNSON View Post
    Never had a hog knock down a tripod feeder.

I did see 2th knock one down though.

Close enough.

And I hate feeder maintenance.
    agreed
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by baldpate View Post
    It doesn’t take long for deer to get used to them either. I have deer coming through a gate into a hog trap to eat under a tripod feeder within a few days of setting up the trap. Make sure to buy a few extra 6 volt batteries so you can swap them out periodically. Much easier to keep fresh batteries in the truck rather than bringing a dead battery home to charge then going back just to put it in.
    Solar panel.

two batteries easier than one solar panel
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Salty just curious do you think they eat it more slowly from the gravity feeder than just on the ground? How long will that 350lbs last?
    More Ducks, Less People

Quote Originally Posted by scquackaddict View Post
    Salty just curious do you think they eat it more slowly from the gravity feeder than just on the ground? How long will that 350lbs last?
    If it’s just deer, turkeys, birds, coons and squirrels it’ll take them 3-4 weeks or longer to empty it out, depends on the time of year and numbers. Sometimes hogs will empty one in two nights other times it’ll take a week or more. Depends on how big the sounder is. They still have to work for it which frustrates them some. I filled one up one Saturday afternoon came back Sunday PM to hunt it and it was empty, pulled the card, 3 sounders had been there since I filled it 14, 19, and 23 pigs.
    Last edited by Saltydog235; 12-10-2018 at 01:56 PM.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by tprice View Post
    This season has run me and my hunting partner ragged putting out corn due to low acorn crop I guess. Never seen deer devour corn like this before. One track he and I hunt together may not get hunted but 1 time a week and naturally if you put corn out it is gone before you go back. 45 min one way trip from my house to put out corn not really possible.

We have used cob corn for last 3-4 yrs but looking at going to tripod feeders for next season

I have been told hogs will turn them over even if staked isn’t eh ground and one track of land I hunt has plenty of hogs. Another track he and I hunt together we never see any hog sign much at all.

Thinking the tripod feeders will be a little more consistent with keeping corn out

All tracks have nice food plots as well
    You can skip dumping corn for several weeks and still see deer and pigs. IMO, don't change what you're doing. But don't think you can't sit without corn on the ground for several weeks at a time. To hell with a timed feeder.
    Last edited by w33kender; 12-10-2018 at 02:12 PM.