Thread: Home security camera reccs?

Default Home security camera reccs?

Hey Guys,

I know this subject is spoken about regularly but I am thinking hard about it and want to be sure I make the best choice and don’t regret a purchase. Are the arlo glo cameras still one of the better cams on the market? I am looking for home surveillance where there is power, internet, and WI-FI. Mostly interested in the best image quality possible as well as night vision quality. If I cannot positively ID an individual they seem like a waste to me. Also would love one that could possibly read/show a tag from 30-40’? That way I could essentially monitor all vehicles that pass thru neighborhood. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like my blinks
    If you give 10 people a bag of gold, someone will complain about how heavy it is!

ring seems to be the best if you can provide the 110v power source to each camera, can set the motion zones to any polygonal shape to avoid tree limbs setting them off, integrated spotlight, & the cloud access is cheap with unlimited cameras from 1 address for 60 days live/recorded @ $10/month

I have a Lorex 8 camera 1080p HD color system that records continuously. It has excellent night vision as well. Very pleased with it.

Ipcamtalk.com

read over there for recommendations
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

I have the Lorex system but lost one of my cameras after 2 years. But the night vision and wireless connection was great.
    Last edited by Meathook; 12-07-2018 at 10:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck the Duck Slayer View Post
    Ipcamtalk.com

read over there for recommendations
    That is probably the best advice, but can create the most complicated solutions.

For simplicity, I like my Nest cameras. However, I wish they could differentiate between actual motion of an object vs. shadows when clouds pass by. The newer outside camera I got has familiar face recognition, and also motion tracking. It is a nice feature, and the IR light is a lot brighter than the less expensive outdoor camera.

Sent from my S9+ using Tapatalk
    Last edited by USMCsilver; 12-07-2018 at 10:34 AM.

Rubberhead posted one yesterday, but if you don't have decoys, I doubt it will do you any good.
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is,
    as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.

Thomas Jefferson

I appreciate yalls input! The biggest thing for me is clarity and I just don’t love a lot of what I see. It would almost make me more mad to see someone or a vehicle and not be able to ID them! I guess a lot of that depends on distances and light as well. I am going to look into yalls recommendations and hopefully make a decision in the next week or 2.

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzy View Post
    Rubberhead posted one yesterday, but if you don't have decoys, I doubt it will do you any good.
    be aware that there are many purchase options besides the devil himself (walmart)
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

If you live in a neighborhood with an HOA, the Flock street cameras are pretty sharp and affordable. I just installed 4 nest cameras along with the nest doorbell and can't complain. I went with them since I already had the nest thermostats and a nest camera as the crib baby monitor.
    The right to bear arms is the last form of defense against tyranny.

Quote Originally Posted by carolinaboy06 View Post
    If you live in a neighborhood with an HOA, the Flock street cameras are pretty sharp and affordable. I just installed 4 nest cameras along with the nest doorbell and can't complain. I went with them since I already had the nest thermostats and a nest camera as the crib baby monitor.
    First I have seen/heard of the flock cameras. I would be all for contributing to the cause if my HOA was interested in purchasing. We have one way in and out of neighborhood so it would be very easy to monitor if/when a crime occurs. Looks like $2k/yr solar-battery charged and backs up over cellular to a cloud. I would guess it would cost each resident in my neighborhood less than $10/yr.

Arlo pro 2 users,

How happy are you with the motion activation? The wireless aspect makes this very attractive as I can put them in spots I otherwise couldn’t consider.

BUT, I see online where several people indicated a delay in motion detection as well as a 5 second gap between video clips (2min clip max). Also, if these are placed outside does it have a sensitivity adjustment so wind/branches wont make it start recording?
    I am considering a 4-6 camera system so I think by having some camera overlap the delays would be a non issue. Thanks for feedback!

I have the arlo cameras. The battery life has been good. And I like that they are so flexible to install and move. I have one in my barn 250 ft away from my house. And another one looking down my driveway. They are very flexible and work really good for me in a remote area with a big yard. One complaint I have is the dogs triggering, but I could adjust the camera angles on a couple of them and reduce those videos.

But I don't think you would be able to see a license plate on them. At least not on a car driving down the street. That's going to require a more expensive camera. If you live in a sub division then doing something through HOA sounds like a better plan than an arlo camera on the street.

Edit: Just saw your latest post. Mine are not the arlo pro 2. They are the previous model. I think the main difference with them is the speaker, but there might be some with the camera as well. There are some settings you can adjust for sensitivity and those settings will affect battery life as well. But there is a delay when they are asleep. I'd compare it to a trail camera. It works better on a food source than it does a narrow trail crossing. You want to place them somewhere where the people will be in view for a while. For example walking up to the porch.
    Last edited by uga_dawg; 12-11-2018 at 09:59 AM.

Default Home security camera reccs?

Quote Originally Posted by uga_dawg View Post
    I have the arlo cameras. The battery life has been good. And I like that they are so flexible to install and move. I have one in my barn 250 ft away from my house. And another one looking down my driveway. They are very flexible and work really good for me in a remote area with a big yard. One complaint I have is the dogs triggering, but I could adjust the camera angles on a couple of them and reduce those videos.

But I don't think you would be able to see a license plate on them. At least not on a car driving down the street. That's going to require a more expensive camera. If you live in a sub division then doing something through HOA sounds like a better plan than an arlo camera on the street.
    Thanks UGA. I was considering mounting one of the cameras on my mailbox post, on the street. I feel like with my plants around the mailbox that I could discreetly mount it out there. What kind of distances would you guess it could read a plate from?

Off topic of Arlo but Nest has a Nest cam IQ outdoor? Top of their line model I believe and it has an auto 12x zoom feature and will also automatically follow motion which is pretty dang cool. BUT, back to a wired setup and looks like $330+ per camera.

It looks like Arlo may have this as well in their Ultra 4-camera 4k HDR system. $999 on best buy right now. “Auto zoom and tracking w a built in light as well”.
    Edited: looks like preorder only for now.

Last edited by Islandguy85; 12-11-2018 at 10:11 AM.

Costco has the Ring floodlight cameras on sale for $189 until December 24th. Heck of a deal. I picked up one and plan to get another before the sale ends.

Anybody have any experience with these? I won a set of 4 cameras and wondering if they are worth the trouble.

Spyclops SPY-NVR4720W Wireless Camera System

4-channel HD video surveillance kit with DVR and 4 wireless bullet cameras

Quote Originally Posted by Islandguy85 View Post
    Thanks UGA. I was considering mounting one of the cameras on my mailbox post, on the street. I feel like with my plants around the mailbox that I could discreetly mount it out there. What kind of distances would you guess it could read a plate from?

Off topic of Arlo but Nest has a Nest cam IQ outdoor? Top of their line model I believe and it has an auto 12x zoom feature and will also automatically follow motion which is pretty dang cool. BUT, back to a wired setup and looks like $330+ per camera.

It looks like Arlo may have this as well in their Ultra 4-camera 4k HDR system. $999 on best buy right now. “Auto zoom and tracking w a built in light as well”.
    Edited: looks like preorder only for now.

I have 1 of the Nest IQ's and it is pretty damned cool compared to my other regular Nest outdoor camera.

I wish Nest offered an uncorded model like an Arlo, though...

Sent from my S9+ using Tapatalk

We installed a Ring Doorbell camera (the high def model) at a vacation rental and absolutely love it. Quality is good, and I really like that it seems to buffer a few seconds so that when motion is detected the recording captures it right from the individual walking into the frame, or even a second or so earlier. But for better house security, I also suggest installing metal grilles also