Thread: Upland report......kinda

CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Default Upland report......kinda

Well since we don't have an upland forum, I figured that I would post here. The last several years I have been doing more and more upland hunting. It is pretty addictive and is great exercise. As most know, quail hunting is not what it used to be, however it can be done somewhat successfully if you are will to work hard,..... really hard, for them. Just know that if your dog has only hunted pen raised birds, you probably won't have a good experience on wild birds. Wild birds are different creatures and the learning curve for you and especially for your dog is steep. However, one thing that can be hunted quite successfully is woodcock. Last year was a good year for them. This year looks to be even better. We are seeing them in places we have never seen them before.......many miles from significant water. I dunno, maybe it is the rain, but they are not hard to find this year and it is still a little early for them. If you haven't hunted them over a good GSP, you are missing out on some fun. They are typically hunted in creek bottoms and around Carolina bays, but I have probably killed more on the hill than I have in creek bottoms. The season opens soon. Open chokes.....and no cussing allowed!
    Last edited by CWPINST; 12-04-2018 at 08:24 PM.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.

great post. With access to 180,000 acres of Fort Benning , I have spent a few days walking around the woods and have found a fair number of wild quail coveys. Apparently former tank training areas make great quail habit as they keep the pines thinned and the undergrowth burned.

My Boykin is just 11 weeks old but I will start training on wild birds next year.
    Last edited by Dawhoo; 12-04-2018 at 09:40 PM.
    "The best things in life make you sweaty"
    - Edgar Allen Poe

“We need the tonic of wildness...At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us...”
    ― Henry David Thoreau

Great stuff. A GSP is in my future.

Right on. I love walking in the "bird woods".
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Dawhoo View Post
    great post. With access to 180,000 acres of Fort Benning , I have spent a few days walking around the woods and have found a fair number of wild quail coveys. Apparently former tank training areas make great quail habit as they keep the pines thinned and the undergrowth trimmed. My dog is just 11 weeks old but I will start her training on wild birds next year.
    I'm not far and have a trained dog. Just saying

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    “… duckhunting stands alone as an outdoor discipline. It has a tang and spirit shared by no other sport—a philosophy compounded of sleet, the winnow of unseen wings, and the reeks of marsh mud and wet wool. No other sport has so many theories, legends, casehardened disciples and treasured memories.”
    --John Madson, The Mallard, 1960

"Never trust a duck hunter who cares more about his success than his dog's."

Back when the woodcock season was 45 days (maybe longer) and the duck season was only 30 days, I hunted woodcock quite often. I was even in the woodcock wing survey for the USFWS. From memory it seems like the birds that came through early were females. A November woodcock hen is a surprisingly big bird.

Here's a brace of woodhens...sorry I only had a 110 camera back then...

Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

That's my goal bird this year. Plan to get the dog out there for them as soon as season comes in.

Also, BRR will be super excited to see this thread. He should be a long shortly.
    Last edited by MolliesMaster; 12-05-2018 at 08:32 AM.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

I watched them twirl into the sky a few evenings ago in a low lying cut over.

Got 4 wild coveys on the club plus woodcock. Going to introduce Cora to both before long.

5BE9F452-31F3-4D1D-9B8A-8F51C79859BF.jpg
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    Got 4 wild coveys on the club plus woodcock. Going to introduce Cora to both before long.

5BE9F452-31F3-4D1D-9B8A-8F51C79859BF.jpg
    Jealous...seriously jealous.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubberhead* View Post
    Jealous...seriously jealous.
    This little one has been a blast so far. She seems to have IT to this point, smart as can be with very good natural instincts. At 8 weeks she weighed about 6#, at 16 weeks she’s closing in on 25#. I’m not going to call her my best yet, she’s got a long way to go for that but the potential is definitely there.
    Last edited by Saltydog235; 12-05-2018 at 05:43 PM.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013