Thread: Upland report......kinda

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    CWPINST is offline 168 grains of assistance from a distance

Default Upland report......kinda

Well since we don't have an upland forum, I figured that I would post here. The last several years I have been doing more and more upland hunting. It is pretty addictive and is great exercise. As most know, quail hunting is not what it used to be, however it can be done somewhat successfully if you are will to work hard,..... really hard, for them. Just know that if your dog has only hunted pen raised birds, you probably won't have a good experience on wild birds. Wild birds are different creatures and the learning curve for you and especially for your dog is steep. However, one thing that can be hunted quite successfully is woodcock. Last year was a good year for them. This year looks to be even better. We are seeing them in places we have never seen them before.......many miles from significant water. I dunno, maybe it is the rain, but they are not hard to find this year and it is still a little early for them. If you haven't hunted them over a good GSP, you are missing out on some fun. They are typically hunted in creek bottoms and around Carolina bays, but I have probably killed more on the hill than I have in creek bottoms. The season opens soon. Open chokes.....and no cussing allowed!
    Last edited by CWPINST; 12-04-2018 at 08:24 PM.
    If it ain\'t accurate at long distance, then the fact that it is flat shooting is meaningless.