Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ideas For Improvement of Swamp

Default Ideas For Improvement of Swamp

I have an area on a beaver swamp that I would like to improve the duck habitat. I started hunting it in 2016 and at the time it was the creek run as the flood of 2015 washed out the dams. Since then the beavers have rebuilt and it is flooding again. The water is very clear in which you can see the bottom in thigh deep water. Most of the water is between your shins and upper stomach. As for a food source the whole swamp is covered in smart weed and there is a good deal of duck weed. I do not know much about invertebrates for ducks but the little research I have done the natural food sources mentioned should have some of them in there. I thought about draining and planting some type of crop for a food source but I do not think that is much of an issue and prefer to promote natural food sources. It seems that the biggest issue I have is not much open water. The area I hunt is about 10 yards wide by 60 yards long, there are a few spots that are a bit wider but that would be about the average I would guess. It is the largest area of open water on the property I have permission to hunt.

In 2016 I killed a few mallards and wood ducks in the swamp. Last year we killed a couple mallards and wood ducks again. Did not have much luck the first segment of the season this year, but had mallards, teal, and other ducks circling as the bigger water sources in the area were being shot, as well as impoundments. I am pretty new at duck hunting other than just with friends here or there but am trying to learn and YoungbuckTX has helped me a lot. It seems that the best year I had was when it was just the run of the creek which makes me think that I do not have enough open water to make the ducks, besides wood ducks, comfortable.

I am not sure I added enough information so if there is a question you have that may give you more information then please ask and I will do my best to answer. Thanks for any help.

2016 December:

2017 November:

2018 November:

Last edited by davisd9; 11-27-2018 at 10:00 AM.
    Psalm 42:1 "As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God."

It's a damn shame they let rich people put water on their corn but won't let the common folk put corn in our water. You got to have have food. I've got a big swamp just like yours and only get a few wood ducks and a rare mallard or two.

Some on here act like ducks eat all those weeds in your pictures but we know better.

They will absolutely eat that smartweed

I would do two things.

1. Don't hunt it this year and bait the heck out of it.
    2. This summer, when the water is low (maybe bust a dam) throw out some jap millet. You might also throw out some sorghum. I have been surprise how easy that is to grow and it does not need to be thick.

DJP's idea is solid. And don't stop baiting it until March
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

I am considering add a Clemson Leveler, maybe a couple to be able to control the water level in different areas. Would it be best to bust the dams or install the levelers to control water?
    Psalm 42:1 "As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God."

You can blow out the damn and the beavers will definitely build it back

Yep what DJP said. I would throw the corn and milo to it NOW and not disturb it much if you are the owner of the land. If you can get the birds in there they will come back next year.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

so you dont have hunting access to the entire swamp- just a portion?

Quote Originally Posted by RWW View Post
    so you dont have hunting access to the entire swamp- just a portion?
    The majority of it as it runs through a couple properties, the area I have is around 4.25 acres. I have not been over on the neighboring property that also has some of the swamps but from what I can tell it is mostly shin to thigh deep water covered in smart weed just like 85-90% of my property has.
    Last edited by davisd9; 11-27-2018 at 12:23 PM.

I am a bit hesitant baiting it as I know others in the area hunt on other properties the creek runs through. I do not want to get someone else a ticket for something they had no idea was going on. Not sure if it would even effect them, so maybe I should check into that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you can't bait it now, bait it heavy February and March
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Quote Originally Posted by davisd9 View Post
    I am a bit hesitant baiting it as I know others in the area hunt on other properties the creek runs through. I do not want to get someone else a ticket for something they had no idea was going on. Not sure if it would even effect them, so maybe I should check into that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Probably would, baited flyway or something is the term they use I believe. Seems like a perfect time to bait to me.

Quote Originally Posted by SCswampCAT View Post
    Probably would, baited flyway or something is the term they use I believe. Seems like a perfect time to bait to me.
    Have no interest in hurting a guy that is enjoying the outdoors as I do. For all I know that is the only place he has to go and may be taking a youngin with him trying to teach them. As long as they are on their part of the creek and following the law then I wish them nothing but the best.

I doubt you will be able to really control anything if the beavers can damn the creek up down the way beyond your accessibility.

Have no interest in hurting a guy that is enjoying the outdoors as I do. For all I know that is the only place he has to go and may be taking a youngin with him trying to teach them. As long as they are on their part of the creek and following the law then I wish them nothing but the best.
    by chance, did you go to glenn's on thanksgiving?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    by chance, did you go to glenn's on thanksgiving?
    No sir

If you don't own the land I wouldn't do anything unless you are in a lease.
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

Quote Originally Posted by coot nasty View Post
    If you don't own the land I wouldn't do anything unless you are in a lease.
    Family land

Family land
    Get with the family then and tell um your thoughts.
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"