Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pines

Default Pines

Hello girls...haven’t been around the place in awhile, but it looks like we might be moving back to God’s Country before long.

Family has about 150 acres that my Dad and I are going to start working on when we get back to that side of the world, and we’re interested in planting 25-30 total acres of pines broken into 3 different plots(rough estimate of 12 acres, 7 acres, and 8 acres). Ground is currently tillable farm ground(and in production) so I wouldn’t imagine there would be much in the way of site prep. I have no idea what we’re looking at cost/acre, so I thought I’d see what the consensus is from the brain trust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

welcome back!

and since i wont check the interweb for a few days, I will give my opinion.

First off, (@!%# a pine tree.
    Secondly, I bet some day you will wish you had those fields back.
    Thirdly, once someone tells you how much it would cost to plant certain types of pines with certain machines or people, do the math on how much money you will make on that acreage for the life of those pines. First thinning. Second thinning and then clearcut. Also, get a timeline for when those big fat checks will come rolling in. Then, do the math on how much it will cost to replant or pull all those stumps and get the fields back into ag production.

I understand and appreciate the importance of the timber industry, but 25 acres of pine trees isnt going to fill the coffers for shit.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    welcome back!

and since i wont check the interweb for a few days, I will give my opinion.

First off, (@!%# a pine tree.
    Secondly, I bet some day you will wish you had those fields back.
    Thirdly, once someone tells you how much it would cost to plant certain types of pines with certain machines or people, do the math on how much money you will make on that acreage for the life of those pines. First thinning. Second thinning and then clearcut. Also, get a timeline for when those big fat checks will come rolling in. Then, do the math on how much it will cost to replant or pull all those stumps and get the fields back into ag production.

I understand and appreciate the importance of the timber industry, but 25 acres of pine trees isnt going to fill the coffers for shit.
    Hey Toof!

I’m not getting rid of the fields, but creating buffers and/or making them a hair smaller. The way the farm is laid out, all of the fields are open from the highway to the timber, and I just want to add some seclusion for deer and turkey killing purposes. And to keep folks from being tempted to shoot deer off the highway by not letting critters be seen from the highway.

Don’t care about harvesting the trees later on either.

So to be a little more clear, the pines would be for buffering purposes more than anything. I’d still have around 30 acres or fields/plots after planting.

Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Put up a pivot and go up on the rent unless it is really shitty land then plant the whole place in pine trees except 5 ac of food plots

ETA stay out west, maybe go a little further north but you will be upset when you move back
    Last edited by Southernduck; 11-29-2018 at 05:12 PM.
    cut\'em

What is your goal for the pines?

Good article in the Journal last month about Southern pine plantations...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/thousan...ork-1539095250

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    Put up a pivot and go up on the rent unless it is really shitty land then plant the whole place in pine trees except 5 ac of food plots

ETA stay out west, maybe go a little further north but you will be upset when you move back
    Fuck that. I’ve been out west long enough. Got a kid now too, so he needs to grow up around his grandfolks doing things like drowning crickets and shooting squirrels and sticking trucks in muddy fields.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    What is your goal for the pines?

Good article in the Journal last month about Southern pine plantations...

https://www.wsj.com/articles/thousan...ork-1539095250
    I know you went to school in Columbia, but I remember you having some decent reading comprehension skills.

Quote Originally Posted by quackaddict View Post
    Fuck that. I’ve been out west long enough. Got a kid now too, so he needs to grow up around his grandfolks doing things like drowning crickets and shooting squirrels and sticking trucks in muddy fields.

That’s a big anchor in my life. Got 2 of them that live 100yds from a set of grandparents, I will be 6ft under before those kids move somewhere else
    cut\'em

Byte me. I was looking for the link while you were babbling about returning to God's own country.

Welcome home BTW...

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    That’s a big anchor in my life. Got 2 of them that live 100yds from a set of grandparents, I will be 6ft under before those kids move somewhere else
    It’s a good one to have.

Thanks JAB . Not home yet, but hoping to be in January if everything goes good.

Screw a pine tree they get too tall and then you will have no barrier. You are better off with a hedge of some types like Cedar. Pine trees
    are a product of the wild life devil !!
    Last edited by LabLuvR; 11-29-2018 at 05:23 PM.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Growing pine trees is like growing big bucks. Most of the time they need another year,.....no matter what the experts tell you.

My motto is....."we will harvest no pine before it's time"

This track isn't as thick as I would like, but averaging 20 trees per acre.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 11-29-2018 at 05:50 PM.

If you are south of the fall line in SC, the US Dept. Of Agriculture has a long needle reforestation program that alot of land owners are using. I had to pay for the planting and spraying up front, but then recouped most all of my expenses. Check with your county USDA office or their Web site for more info. It worked out good for several land owners around me.
    Last edited by E. Taylor; 11-29-2018 at 05:59 PM.
    E T

Don't deny it.. you know you have family in Camden and it's been drawing you in.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    Don't deny it.. you know you have family in Camden and it's been drawing you in.
    Well duh. And the chance I’d have to finally meet Highstrung was a big factor too.

Awe.

And hey buddy

Hey buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by LabLuvR View Post
    Screw a pine tree they get too tall and then you will have no barrier. You are better off with a hedge of some types like Cedar. Pine trees
    are a product of the wild life devil !!
    Behind the hedge, cedar line ,I would plant a line od mast producing trees, oaks apples plums persimmons. keep the fields for food plots and dove fields.
    Last edited by deerslayerjohn; 11-29-2018 at 06:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by deerslayerjohn View Post
    Behind the hedge, cedar line ,I would plant a line od mast producing trees, oaks apples plums persimmons. keep the fields for food plots and dove fields.
    Then you have deer and turkeys under the barrier you wanted to create which might still put them in sight of the road.

Plant the pines and let them grow and along with the thicket that will follow if you want a good barrier from the road.

How's the duck hunting been out there? Used to enjoy the pictures you'd post of your hunts

Quote Originally Posted by fowlshot View Post
    Then you have deer and turkeys under the barrier you wanted to create which might still put them in sight of the road.

Plant the pines and let them grow and along with the thicket that will follow if you want a good barrier from the road.

How's the duck hunting been out there? Used to enjoy the pictures you'd post of your hunts
    That was kind of my thoughts exactly.

I wouldn’t know. I haven’t shot a duck in two years. Got burnt out and bored with it, and had a kid about the same time, so I haven’t done much hunting until this fall in the last couple of years. Killed a few quail last year, crappy turkey season this last year, but got an elk killed in Sept.