Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Regulating Dog Hunting

i grew up doing it. The loud ass squatted trucks, dog boxes, and yeti coolers have ruined it for me. Good riddance.

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    Garmin collars aren't going to solve the problem. Fencing will. Pbiz and his people get it. The problem is 90% of the clubs can't afford to and/or the property owner won't allow it.

Fencing has always been the answer.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
    Garmins aren't perfect BUT 99.9%
    Fences aren't perfect BUT 99.9%

Garmins are electronics can and will fail.
    Fences aren't electronic can and will fail also.

Fences get torn up by deer jumping them, going through them under them. This causes dogs to be able to get through them.

Garmin may allow dog to get few yards across property line but a SHOCK will stop and bring them back if it comes down to that.

Fence can allow a dog to get across property line few feet but can also keep them from getting back on leased property.

So fence is not the definite answer but right attitude from both sides, communication and compromise from both parties is the answer.

Garmins has allowed for control of dogs and will only improve.

Garmins have brought the saying REMOTE CONTROL DOGS TO THE TABLE.

Don't believe it come hunt with me sometime.

Ban dog hunting

Quote Originally Posted by porkchop 13 View Post
    Garmins aren't perfect BUT 99.9%
    Fences aren't perfect BUT 99.9%

Garmins are electronics can and will fail.
    Fences aren't electronic can and will fail also.

Fences get torn up by deer jumping them, going through them under them. This causes dogs to be able to get through them.

Garmin may allow dog to get few yards across property line but a SHOCK will stop and bring them back if it comes down to that.

Fence can allow a dog to get across property line few feet but can also keep them from getting back on leased property.

So fence is not the definite answer but right attitude from both sides, communication and compromise from both parties is the answer.

Garmins has allowed for control of dogs and will only improve.

Garmins have brought the saying REMOTE CONTROL DOGS TO THE TABLE.

Don't believe it come hunt with me sometime.
    It's alot easier to spend $400 on a Garmin than many thousand building a secure fence. I never had a dog get out in 10 years. Fences are way better than Garmins will ever be.

A Garmin will tell you where he is but the problem is, as usual, their focus is on another pack at the time...and now the club has a problem. I guess you think it's ok to come an hour or three later and shock him out to the highway. You can blow that Garmin bs up somebody else's ass.

Quote Originally Posted by b-stick View Post
    Ban dog hunting
    There it is- just what I was talking about- how about we ban scopes? or rifles? or only allow hunting from sunrise to sunset? and ban bow hunting?
    Last edited by Bad Habit; 09-14-2019 at 08:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    There it is- just what I was talking about- how about we ban scopes? or rifles? or only allow hunting from sunrise to sunset? and ban bow hunting?
    Or everyone could just stay on their own property and respect their neighbors? Sounds silly I know.....

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    It's alot easier to spend $400 on a Garmin than many thousand building a secure fence. I never had a dog get out in 10 years. Fences are way better than Garmins will ever be.

A Garmin will tell you where he is but the problem is, as usual, their focus is on another pack at the time...and now the club has a problem. I guess you think it's ok to come an hour or three later and shock him out to the highway. You can blow that Garmin bs up somebody else's ass.

You got me mistaken for some of that trash you have hung out with in past and called yourselves hunting.

I don't let my dogs go across property lines PERIOD
    The alpha will control this. (Alpha is track and train) Astro is track only
    I don't care how big the buck is or what someone else is willing to let their dogs do. Mine stay on property and unless someone shoots a deer that went into another block that we have permission to be on and they think they hit it I keep them in the drive EVERYTIME. No exceptions.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Habit View Post
    You need a drink Mr grumpy.

sure- a nice bourbon on the rocks- while we are at it lets ban corn piles, feeders and elevated stands. Give the deer a chance. It's not fair to snipe a defenseless animal from 300 yards away while it's eating dinner. Sneak up on the ground to shotgun range. Slugs only- buckshot is for dog hunters.

It’s a neat night for me,...and this dog don’t hunt.

3E2AC967-8DB8-45E6-BAAA-1A6966312ABA.jpg

Forgive me if I am missing something here regarding these GPS collars that allow the "handler" to shock the dog back onto your property. How does shocking the fuck out of the dog make it come back to you? Do you spend the time to train the dog what the correction means? I have been involved with some hunt test training of labs and have seen some dogs get lit the fuck up and not know why. It didn't teach them a damn thing. I am obviously playing devils advocate here, but I am curious to hear if this actually works. It is better than driving around with antenna looking for a signal where your dog is for sure (maybe?) but to think somebody can strap a collar on a dog and it is all of a sudden an obedient dog doesn't make much sense.

I'll hang up and listen...
    Miner's Daughter's Coal Train 'Rosco'

"The only human quality he lacks is speech" -Alfred Brehm

The shock breaks the chase instinct and the dog stops before leaving the property- I witnessed it work, we had a 200 yard buffer along the edge of a drive, I passed on shooting a buck that didn't meet club standards( minimum 6 point) when the dogs hit the buffer in full cry- the owner shocked them, they all stopped and we picked them up before they crossed the buffer and left the club.

Does it always work- no. But it works enough to make a very big difference.

November will be 17 years I’ve been a signed up member on SCDUCKS. The dog hunting argument has been strong all of those 17 years. You knew when August was approaching because CPIPER would be in a heated argument defending dog hunting.

I often wonder what CPIPER is up to these days and if the introduction of Garmin has helped his case?
    Last edited by KRT; 09-15-2019 at 07:07 AM.
    More fuel = more boost!!

There is a tone feature on the collar. You do that first and the shock comes after. They associate the tone with the shock if the dog continues to run the deer across the road. Once the dog hits the road you hit the tone button and they know if they keep going, they will get the shock. 2 of our guys on the club I hunt at had hounds that there was no way in hell to catch them on the first hunt of the day when they came out on a deer last year. They upgraded to the new system and that shit works wonders. I couldn't believe it until I saw it work. Its pretty damn awesome.

Jws did a good job explaining.
    The train feature of the alpha has a tone or vibrate, and shock option.

My method is this.
    I have all club roads and boundary's on my Garmin. We communicate with handheld radios that every dog man and stander has.
    When stander see deer go across road or stander line and it is confirmed that is deer dogs are running I TONE all dogs individually. Takes 5 seconds . Dogs STOP Chase immediately and return back to me on trail they left me on.

About 2 times a year I may have to lightly shock a dog to get there attention but they associate the tone with stopping and coming back to me.
    I am big on obedience with my deer and rabbit dogs.
    By that I mean my dogs have NEVER been put on a leash. I can walk them down a road with me or I can walk down road and have them go in woods and hunt.

My training took place in yard with a 75' rope.
    I put a dog on this rope with alpha on it's neck and I pull rope to me while toning dog and calling. This takes about 3-4 sessions of 10 min for dog to associate the tone with me and not that they are in trouble for running a deer.

I had a litter of pups last year. Being that all of my other dogs were collar broke these were trained in field by Everytime I toned my running dogs they also got toned so they could hear it and see that all other dogs stopped what they were doing and came back.

One thing I recommend is having dogs that pack together. If dogs don't pack together it can lead to a recipe for disaster.

Special hunts for example (still hunt club wanting to run one day of year etc...) Unless they let me come a day in advance to map out property lines I WILL NOT take my dogs there.
    My responsibility as a dog man is to keep control of my dogs and keep them where they have permission to be.

Quote Originally Posted by KRT View Post
    November will be 17 years I’ve been a signed up member on SCDUCKS. The dog hunting argument has been strong all of those 17 years. You knew when August was approaching because CPIPER would be in a heated argument defending dog hunting.

I often wonder what CPIPER is up to these days and if the introduction of Garmin has helped his case?
    His last post was October 19, 2006

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    His last post was October 19, 2006
    Damn I can’t believe it’s been that long. That ole boy gave it hell.
    More fuel = more boost!!

I wish dog hunters would do so from a pop up blind over strutter decoys so we could kill all birds with one stone
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

WTB: pack of long legged running walkers, cash in hand.
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

Why pay just ride around on Sunday morning and pick a few up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk